1/6 Hot Toys - MMS401 - Star Wars: Stormtrooper Porcelain Pattern Hot Toys Exclusive

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I strongly agree that Hot Toys figures are art. Yes they are toys/figures, but they most certainly are art as well. I basically see them as poseable statues.
While this is true, the OC was saying that the Porcelain figure can be considered Fine Art.

While this is true, the OC was saying that the Porcelain figure can be considered Fine Art.

I think I may actually agree with that. All Hot Toys figures are art, but I would argue they are mostly imitative in nature. The figures are created by those who seek to replicate rather than innovate, at least aesthetically. This porcelain figure however is an artist's creation that to my knowledge is not based off of any real reference. That to me does make it a bit more artsy.

Maybe I'll buy a bunch of rebel and imperial decals and secure them to my teacups and dinnerware. Art?

Didn't think I'd like it, received it as a b'day gift and I'm really digging it :) IMG_1010.JPG

I'm sure people who bought this will disagree.
This thing is a waste of a perfectly good Strormtrooper armor and manufacturing time and resources.
I really hope Hot Toys never attempts this again.
Just reissue the original ANH Stormtrooper single and Two-Pack already Hot Toys! :mad:

It does make sense... they're a Chinese company and the porcelain pattern is a significant part of their visual arts culture.

lei-xue-drinking-tea-4.jpg

memory-of-beijing-suitdress.jpg

porcelain-8.jpg

I sometimes jump on things if I can see they're going to sell out and I think I might want them - ANH Leia was the best example of this for me where I bought another one shortly after Carrie died because I wanted to use it as the base figure for a Slave Leia custom. However I would never buy something just to sell it on, not because I'm particularly moral but because there's no fun in it. I just couldn't have a figure sitting in a closet somewhere that I knew I'd never open myself.

If I did see figures as a way of making money I would buy this because I guarantee in a few years it will be priceless.

I'm sure people who bought this will disagree.
This thing is a waste of a perfectly good Strormtrooper armor and manufacturing time and resources.
I really hope Hot Toys never attempts this again.
Just reissue the original ANH Stormtrooper single and Two-Pack already Hot Toys! :mad:

i used to buy the ANH sets and send them to various artists to get them painted, freestyle. those are the grail in my collection now.

i used to buy the ANH sets and send them to various artists to get them painted, freestyle. those are the grail in my collection now.

Would love to see some photos. One thing I like about this release is the blue lenses. If I had money to burn I would buy one and strip off the porcelain pattern.

If you like your stormtrooper porcelain figure maybe you should consider picking this up as part of the display... lolz

Star_Wars_Box_0008_1024x1024.jpg

SUPERMAMA_-_THE_HEIRLOOM_STARWARS_COLLECTION_6low.jpg

SUPERMAMA_-_THE_HEIRLOOM_STARWARS_COLLECTION_2.jpg

SUPERMAMA_-_THE_HEIRLOOM_STARWARS_COLLECTION_1_1024x1024.jpg

SUPERMAMA_-_THE_HEIRLOOM_STARWARS_COLLECTION_3.jpg

I sometimes jump on things if I can see they're going to sell out and I think I might want them - ANH Leia was the best example of this for me where I bought another one shortly after Carrie died because I wanted to use it as the base figure for a Slave Leia custom. However I would never buy something just to sell it on, not because I'm particularly moral but because there's no fun in it. I just couldn't have a figure sitting in a closet somewhere that I knew I'd never open myself.

If I did see figures as a way of making money I would buy this because I guarantee in a few years it will be priceless.

I think you are right. I can see this selling for more than retail in a year or two. It's definitely different.

Is the undersuit black or dark blue on this? And is the porcelain patterning decals, paint or what?

I'm presuming that you're into artist vinyl stuff. I can see the appeal of something that has been turned into a personal work of art. Sideshow was the first company that I saw send out their Stormtrooper helmets to artists for them to use them as a canvas to make their own and then put them on tour at conventions. It was a fun and interesting idea on where the hobby can go. Like Tom Day, I'd love to see what your custom ANH (figures?) look like in the custom section of the forum.

Back