1/6 Hot Toys - MMS297 - Star Wars: Episode IV - Luke Skywalker Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jedijim, thanks for all the reference pictures.

Over the years, I have tried quite a few combinations with Luke. Given what's available, I settled on the HT farmboy sculpt with SSC Red 5 hairpiece.

20180616_211518.jpg

I used the hat with my 2nd stock HT Luke....

20180616_211650.jpg

I am not a fan of the JNIX Luke, but I do prefer it to the HT Stormtrooper Luke sculpt.

20180616_211444.jpg

To me, the likeness of the HT sculpt reminds me of this scene the most:

tumblr_inline_o8e4gixvEI1sufcc2_500.gif

He kinda has the squinty-eyed expression there that the HT sculpt has.

I think I gave it like a 6/10, 7 at best, but I think it’s still the best ANH Luke sculpt available.

Yeah, that seems to be the hair they were going for too. But the hair sculpt came out a bit too sharp (some said anime-esque) and egg headed

Yeah, that seems to be the hair they were going for too. But the hair sculpt came out a bit too sharp (some said anime-esque) and egg headed

It definitely did. Egg shaped, melon shaped, I’ve heard both. :lol

The hair was tragic. But I agree -- to me, its still the best of the non-likeness bunch and the one I still have (along with Ted Kenobi and Juan Solo). They all look fine from afar -- which is how I see my collection 99% of the time.

The hair was tragic. But I agree -- to me, its still the best of the non-likeness bunch and the one I still have (along with Ted Kenobi and Juan Solo). They all look fine from afar -- which is how I see my collection 99% of the time.

Yeah, I finally caved and got Jyn recently as I never liked the production sculpt. But on the shelf next to K-2 she looks great. I’m usually 5 feet away or more when I see her.

There is Bespin Luke (and I own 3 of the non-damaged heads), which has too thick mandibles. Besides that, they nailed the rest. Hair, PERS... all great. Another important feat: production samples are damn close to the proto. Very enjoyable investment.

Crap? What do you mean?
I'd say that the vast majority of Luke/Han Headsculpts thus far (old Sideshow ones, Hoth Han/Luke, HT ANH Han, even 1/4 instances) can't compare to heads like Storm Shadow, Dr Strange, Hoth Leia, etc. In those, HT really showed what they've got. Space Ttracker is the best Han thus far. Again, my production sample is damn close to proto. A pity that scale is off (damn!!).

Regards,
m.

There is no good Luke Skywalker head sculpt. They are all crap.

If not, show me a good one.

That unpainted sculpt looks ok, but like the space trucker, I really can't be bothered with oversized heads. I'd rather have it look slightly off than have a giant head on there.

I have the same unpainted SSC recast head sculpt that markreed1974 posted pics of. As he noted, the underside where the neck peg goes needs to be carved out a good bit to work with the HT Luke, but I don't think it's oversized enough (or even at all) to be distracting. It might seem oversized when unpainted because the hair and face are all blended into one (kinda distorting it), but I think it's scaled okay.

Here's three views of it. On a HT Stormtrooper body (left), front side view on the HT Farmboy body (middle), and from the angle I think it most resembles Hamill (right).

LukeSSCHead.jpg

My hope is that the SSC Stormtrooper Luke was a decent Hamill sculpt that just got a bad Sideshow paint application. I have no idea if painting it differently can make it a better alternative to the HT head sculpts, but right now it gives me that "I'm Luke Skywalker . . . I'm here to rescue you!" vibe on the trooper body. On the Farmboy body, some angles (as I noted above) are better than others.

Do you have the HT head? Would be nice to see a side by side. Often when heads are recast they shrink a bit, which would benefit any old sideshow head.

Do you have the HT head? Would be nice to see a side by side. Often when heads are recast they shrink a bit, which would benefit any old sideshow head.

Sure do. Here's a couple side-by-side views. But, I don't have the SSC original to help answer the question about the recast version possibly shrinking.

LukeSSCHead2.jpg

It’s definitely slightly bigger but a bit closer than I expected. Nose jumps out as being a bit more wide on the SS and the 3/4 angle you can see the larger jaw/cheek area, but everything mostly lines up. Shows how egg-headed the Hot Toys sculpt is that it still ends up being taller in the shot on the left.

Get that thing painted already! :lol

Unfortunately I still believe the HT stock head is the best. You can’t beat the paint work in HT as well. I find the pose of the figure makes a difference as well.

Yeah the film-grain effect in that picture really makes that HT sculpt look like a dismembered head. The SS sculpt does look decent though in sculpt.

I recently found a set of recasts in my parts bin that i forgot i had. Sorry about the crappy camera phone pic

20180619_135140.jpg

Wow, my shipping/processing was moved forward, and it will now be going out tomorrow. Beyond excited. :monkey4

Back