1/6 Hot Toys - MMS - Star Wars Episode VII: Luke Skywalker Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This figure is somewhat a 50/50 for me. For as many things as they got right about it, there's just as many things that they got wrong. I agree that for the most part, HT seems to have gotten a little lazy on this figure.

Regarding the sculpt, the hair is off, the beard is off, but the facial likeness is fine (in my opinion). I personally give the sculpt about a 7/10.

There are some things about the outfit they got right, but a lot about it they got wrong. It has the gorilla arms and the fact they merely reused ANH Obi-Wan's hand set (excluding the robot hand) is somewhat laugh worthy. Overall, I personally give the effort on this figure about a 6.5/10. 7 tops.

However, I got ROV Rey specifically to pair with this figure, so I'm still keeping him to recreate the final scene in TFA.

Looking at the movie it should be three tones. White (shirt), tan (inner tabards), and a weathered cream (outer tabards).

I think it's just that the tabards were sewed to the hooded cape so when the costume was weathered, the hood/cape was in place covering the top of the tabard shielding it a bit from the weathering paint, keeping it a bit more pale.

Below that, the tabards look much the same as the torso robe color, though you don't see the full body onscreen so have to rely on the behind the scenes.

sw-force-awakens-movie-screencaps.com-14922.jpg

sw-force-awakens-movie-screencaps.com-14960.jpg

In looking at these pics, you really see Hamill has an almost Orson Welles looking face onscreen. The HT sculpt definitely looks like the Bev Hills/Brentwood gym version of Luke - leaner, more handsome, less grizzled/craggy skin.

Looking at the movie it should be three tones. White (shirt), tan (inner tabards), and a weathered cream (outer tabards).

Yeah, it's like they started out with the promo shots costume, very white tabbards, then weathered them so that it gives them that cream colored look.

This guys pics make the figure look good. There is hope. Not to impugn on the earlier photos, but it really may be a question of futzing and knowing how to pose your figures.

e4db42103b33b73a50d69ed940063fe7.jpg

Not a big fan of the sculpt. I feel like it has a slightly angry/aggressive look to it. Also looks more like Jeff Bridges to me than Mark Hamill. Could be a little heavier set too, seems super buff.

This guys pics make the figure look good. There is hope. Not to impugn on the earlier photos, but it really may be a question of futzing and knowing how to pose your figures.

:exactly:

Nowadays, with all the details added to outfits and bodies articulation getting more realistic, posing and futzing have become priceless skills.

This figure is somewhat a 50/50 for me. For as many things as they got right about it, there's just as many things that they got wrong. I agree that for the most part, HT seems to have gotten a little lazy on this figure.

Regarding the sculpt, the hair is off, the beard is off, but the facial likeness is fine (in my opinion). I personally give the sculpt about a 7/10.

There are some things about the outfit they got right, but a lot about it they got wrong. It has the gorilla arms and the fact they merely reused ANH Obi-Wan's hand set (excluding the robot hand) is somewhat laugh worthy. Overall, I personally give the effort on this figure about a 6.5/10. 7 tops.

However, I got ROV Rey specifically to pair with this figure, so I'm still keeping him to recreate the final scene in TFA.

Same here and for the past year ol' Resistance Rey has been standing there, handing the lightsaber to absolutely no one. Come on HT, hurry up!

Great pic there. Less of a barrel chest and more of a paunch. Looks like M.H. to me.

People are so quick to judge these things based on a few bad pictures. They're almost never as bad in hand as what some like to dramatize about on the boards.

Not a big fan of the sculpt. I feel like it has a slightly angry/aggressive look to it. Also looks more like Jeff Bridges to me than Mark Hamill. Could be a little heavier set too, seems super buff.

Maybe Hamill had to approve the sculpt and this is how he want to be seen......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great pic there. Less of a barrel chest and more of a paunch. Looks like M.H. to me.

Yeah the proportions in that picture looks really good.

People are so quick to judge these things based on a few bad pictures. They're almost never as bad in hand as what some like to dramatize about on the boards.

To be fair, all of the HT pics seem to be posed/set-up to specifically avoid showing the straight-on barrel chest, or showing the whole figure in front view all the way to the feet (where you could see the oddly shortened legs and longer arms) and the only pic where you can kind of see evidence the monkey arms is this one, but even it is at a low angle so hides it a bit:

20543760_10154750931662344_5369195320573284523_o.jpg

I am Toys' review pics are the only ones that show the fig in a neutral pose where you can clearly see the issues.

:exactly:

Nowadays, with all the details added to outfits and bodies articulation getting more realistic, posing and futzing have become priceless skills.

You really need a nice touch to pose these things well. It's definitely an art. As a result, I almost always pose my figures based on poses straight out of the films, so that way I know it's a natural pose.

To be fair, all of the HT pics seem to be posed/set-up to specifically avoid showing the straight-on barrel chest, or showing the whole figure in front view all the way to the feet (where you could see the oddly shortened legs and longer arms) and the only pic where you can kind of see evidence the monkey arms is this one, but even it is at a low angle so hides it a bit:

I am Toys' review pics are the only ones that show the fig in a neutral pose where you can clearly see the issues.

Yeah these photographers clearly seem to be aware of the issues certain figures have and are good at shooting them from just the right angles or just the right light (or placing them in front of just the right gorgeous backdrops) to minimize them.

I have no doubt people will be able to futz and pose the body to look really good, but for me the likeness is going to continue to look just as off as the one for Obi-Wan.

Back