1/6 Hot Toys - MMS - Star Wars: Episode VII - Han & Chewbacca Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: 1/6 Hot Toys - MMS - Star Wars: Episode VII - Han & Chewbacca Collectible Figure

Perfection. Though I would have gone with a slightly more expressive.. expression! But I'd easily pay 300 bucks for such a chewy!

Re: 1/6 Hot Toys - MMS - Star Wars: Episode VII - Han & Chewbacca Collectible Figure

Someone send this to HT and tell them to copy this Chewie

What type of glue did you use to glue down the fur on the face?

And did you use any part of the HT head? Did you use fur from the HT head, if not, how did you match the custom head fur to the fur on the body?

Don't worry, TB. Paul is re-doing all of ours for us. No need to inquire about the technique. Its all good now!

Thank you all for your kind words and comments. I really do appreciate them.

To help answer some questions, I resulted the features over a heavily modified HT head. The only parts I kept to use were the teeth parts. Inside Chewies mouth there is his teeth and tongue. The bodysuit is a complete brand new suit, made from faux fur .I coloured the fur with tea and coffee baths as well as sharpie markers. Yes, really. The sharpie ink is alcohol based and can be used to tint the fur. If you use nail polish remover you can lighten the tint , I would suggest using a cotton bud or q tip and do not go overboard , take it slowly.

I think it is possible to revamp the FA Chewbacca head and Matrix69 will show us the fruits of his labour soon. I wouldn't take on the task of redoing a full head again but I would be open to modding the mouth etc on the figures head. Little touches such as repainting the feet, adding the whites to his eyes make a big difference. I also added small squares of double sided tape behind one part of the bandolier boxes to keep them from moving and falling off. I have also turned the legs a little to get Peter's bandy stance slightly bent at the knee. Those things help to sell the character on a shelf.

Got my shipping notice last night from Sideshow for the 2-pack. Eager to see Han in person.

What type of glue did you use to glue down the fur on the face?

And did you use any part of the HT head? Did you use fur from the HT head, if not, how did you match the custom head fur to the fur on the body?

I used a contact adhesive with a cocktail stick to attach the hair very slowly, building up the layers. This was quicker and to me more robust. I put a small amount onto the head, gave it a few seconds to set up and then gently placed the hair on top of it adding gentle pressure. You have to be careful not to push it too much, the glue can seep through. I have redone several sections due to being too heavy handed.

The hair on the head was mohair that I dyed using the same techniques for the fur body. I bought a neutral beige faux fur fabric and a bag of mohair in a similar shade. The faux fur being synthetic took a little longer between tea and coffee baths. Tea gives a coppery tint, coffee gives a darker earthen colour. Sharpies can be your friend too. I noticed when experimenting that on the ANH figure the darkness on the face can be lightened by using a cotton bud or q tip and some nail polish remover , gently wiping at the surface. Do not under any circumstances leave the q tip in one place when doing this as it will lighten a patch and ruin the natural look. This I found out the hard way, hence the full body redo. I also used a silver sharpie sparingly on the shoulders . You can tone the colour down with the previous method, blending the colour so that the silver still shows in different lighting.

I'm not sure if it is common knowledge but the fur fabric used has not been glued to the head. They used double sided tape to keep the one piece of fur on the head. Quite clever really. If you were to find some similar faux fur you could do the mouth surgery to the mouth section and then use the fur as a template and restick it with double sided tape into place. Then attach the eyes and nose into their respective sockets.

Yeah. And I can't get over how quickly Paul put it all together.

Paul I hope you post more pictures. And in the ANH Chewie thread too, since yours really isn't TFA Chewie.

It's inspirational... but I know I'd muck it up. But what I am curious about is if the rubbing alcohol on a q-tip will lighten the ANH "dark fur" Chewbacca? I could live with the face -- like with HT Han and Ben -- if I could lighten some of the fur up.

Painting the whites of the eyes also seems like a must to bring out those peepers. And then using a black sharpie to darken the area around the eyes.

It just dawned on me that I was in the wrong thread - curse my eyes I'm getting old. To save clogging up the thread I've started a thread in the Star Wars customs section, where I'll post more of the figures undergoing modification.

Waiting ever so patiently to get my Chewbacca in! I hope I can post some flattering pictures

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And this is where my Han and Chewie have ended up.
Decided the previous shelf was too narrow.

Despite all the negativity , I do like the Chewie figure (after a little, but not a lot, of work).

^^ The Chewy looks great there.

Great Collection! You're Chewbacca doesn't look too bad, could take a closer picture of him?

Back