1/6 1/6 Hot Toys - MMS - Avengers: AoU - Iron Man Mark 45

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Girl Friday (female voice) is a term for a do everything assistant and also was the name of a 1940's movie I think this is somehow one of the things the name was chosen for if not Tony's assistant after pepper in comics probably from same resource.

Oh I'm familiar with the idiom - I just didn't like the accent :monkey3

Re: Hot Toys - MMS300D11 - Avengers: AoU - Iron Man Mark 45

I wish I could afford this figure. It looks so cool and can easily be my favorite design of all the marks. Sadly, I have just been priced out of Hot Toys. Hulkbuster really busted my wallet. I have around $200 worth of points and I'm planning to use it on Ultron Prime. This is really a beautiful design, though.

Maybe. I'll win the lottery....

Yep. I'm good with plastic in the $200-$275 range all day and not staring at near $400 for DC.

Now we know why HT decided to go with DC. :lol

I wish I could afford this figure. It looks so cool and can easily be my favorite design of all the marks. Sadly, I have just been priced out of Hot Toys. Hulkbuster really busted my wallet.

I'm in the same boat. The design's gorgeous but thankfully, the armor wasn't really memorable in the film, at least not as memorable as the HB. It makes passing on it just a bit easier.

Jroug I agree, I too think this is all part of a strategy to gradually increase the figure costs, especially with the Iron Man lines. We have seen increases in all the figures prices, but none have jumped quite like the Iron Man figs have.

I also jumped in on the Mark 42 as it was the first die cast of iron man.. not war machine and I liked the contrast of color scheme. I got the Iron Patriot for free as a gift and that's really about all I needed especially for die cast. The die cast is nice and I can see going from $250 for a plastic Iron Man figure to say $310 to cover slight increase in production cost and still turn a good profit but anything over $310 is getting a bit ridiculous.

The mark 43 was an easy pass just because it's a reverse paint scheme of the mark 42. The Mark 45 I like and would be tempted to buy it if the colors were more screen accurate but with the price tag this guy has on him... well I don't think I can bring myself to spend that kind of money on a figure when it doesn't feel absolutely justified.

As nice as the heavier figure feels I'm not a fan of the diecast because you're stuck with standing poses and the dynamic stand is unable to hold these figures up.

The mark 43 was an easy pass just because it's a reverse paint scheme of the mark 42. The Mark 45 I like and would be tempted to buy it if the colors were more screen accurate but with the price tag this guy has on him... well I don't think I can bring myself to spend that kind of money on a figure when it doesn't feel absolutely justified.

Have you seen the videos released by Budget Stark and others with access to the prototype at Secret Base? The colors are actually much better (and accurate) to the movie compared to the colors featured on Sideshow's website.

Yep. I'm good with plastic in the $200-$275 range all day and not staring at near $400 for DC.
Yep. The price difference is my main reason, too, since I can't really tell the difference when I'm not hefting the figures.

As nice as the heavier figure feels I'm not a fan of the diecast because you're stuck with standing poses and the dynamic stand is unable to hold these figures up.
Yep. You pay more and get somewhat less posing flexibility.

Today is the first time I looked at the price of this figure and I was shocked, came here to see what the consensus is/was.

When it comes to manufacturing plastic vs die-cast, I'm not sure the costs are THAT different, especially when the plastic option includes a metal vac component.

Let me venture an educated guess, based on Hasbro's rationale for including "talking chips" with the first Phantom Menace toys.

In that case, the Star Wars license needed to be renewed and business was already brisk - a new film was sure to create lots of sales drivers (and new copyrights, I mean characters!). If Hasbro lost the license at that point they'd look bad, and they paid a high price to keep it. To justify the high licensing advance, they needed to pass the cost along to the consumer, so prices for basic 3 3/4" figures (the backbone of the SW line for years) was going up. Hasbro looked for a cheap value-add pack-in to justify the higher price. They landed on the "talking chips"which cost next to nothing to make, but made it seem like the figures could "talk". This is a great pitch for moms, who buy most mass-market toys and love it when they "do something".

Theorize that HT has to pay Disney a higher fee for Marvel because it's the biggest brand in the marketplace now. So in order to recapture advances or higher back end fees, they need a way to rationalize a higher cost per figure. Die-cast is a logical stepping stone to the consumer, especially for Iron Man related products. And here we are. I personally see ZERO value add in a die-cast figure, but i understand some may respond to the added heft and "realistic" feel of the toy. I caved on the 42, but this new price means I won't be buying. At some point it becomes ridiculous, esp with 20+ IM variations (including some major Buyers Remorse items) already in my collection.

Will say I was pleasantly surprised to see that Vision was reasonably priced and am hoping Witch & Quicksilver will be too.

Finally, Drax?

Sorry but that's just not the case. Does it cost more then plastic to make? Not really. If you are looking to start out. The difference is if you already have a manufacturing facility that is equipped with plastic injection mold tech. Then you add diecast to the mix. That's the part you are not seeing. They already have all the plastic injection machines and assembly lines and pint facility's. dC is a completly different process. Meaning a new investment in new machines and tooling and lines and more. IFt you compare them they cost the about the same to make. But when you already have paid for (ten years ago) all the machines and lines and warehouse space and all that it entails for plastic injection you are not starting on a level field.

They have already made the investment in plastic injection. Diecast is a new set of machines. The way they are made is so different that the machines used to make the parts do not have overlap. Meaning they need to buy all new machines or source them or a new facility. Which is added cost. This is not about licensing or any of that stuff. All that is equal. It's about having to essentially start a new production facility.

Are you guys understanding what I'm saying? (real question) it's not about the in a bubble 1:1 comparison of which costs more to make. It's the comparison of having everything you need and having that paid for (over 15 years so paid for multiple times) versus having to buy all new machines and robots and sanding equipment and so much more. It would be like you having a wood shop and then adding metal fab to what you do. You need new tools.

As for your vac form comment. VF is no where near the same as diecast. Huge difference. The make the level of dc parts hot toys does they have to have a hydraulic press that pushes with tons of pressure. Literally tons. I have a vacform table in my studio. Big difference. Peddle bike to race car difference.

Back