1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 650D46/651 - Star Wars Episode II: AOTC - C3PO & R2D2 Collectible Figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmm.. to jump on my waitlist conversion or not. Part of me thinks sure why not, but then I look at the price and do I really want to pay it twice for 3PO?

Hmmm.. to jump on my waitlist conversion or not. Part of me thinks sure why not, but then I look at the price and do I really want to pay it twice for 3PO?

As nice as it is I imagine this one gets dumped pretty frequently on the second hand market when RoTJ comes around. So unless you're dying for it new and in hand now I'd just hold off.

As nice as it is I imagine this one gets dumped pretty frequently on the second hand market when RoTJ comes around. So unless you're dying for it new and in hand now I'd just hold off.
Or it gets hard to find and expensive. I’m torn on it.

This will be my first HT since Jango Fett and ROTJ Biker Scout. I am a OT guy but feel the PT version has more of a shelf presence due to the various colours and weathering. Weathering pushes figure to maquette prop as opposed to action figure. OT 3PO (I love character dearly) but in any produced figure is essentially a shape with gold that can be recognized from a distance to up close. This PT brings something new to the table. Plus I can’t stand the new bases!!!

This will be my first HT since Jango Fett and ROTJ Biker Scout. I am a OT guy but feel the PT version has more of a shelf presence due to the various colours and weathering. Weathering pushes figure to maquette prop as opposed to action figure. OT 3PO (I love character dearly) but in any produced figure is essentially a shape with gold that can be recognized from a distance to up close. This PT brings something new to the table. Plus I can’t stand the new bases!!!
Bo, for someone as selective as you are in terms of space/cost, I'm surprised I never realized your affection for the PT ran this deep. That said, I think I recall you debating Maul and picking up Qui-Gon. (Let me know if I have that wrong)

Will this be your first 3PO?

Or it gets hard to find and expensive. I’m torn on it.
One can speculate till the cows come home, but at the end of the day, I feel it's best to collect because you're interested in the figure and enjoy displaying it/looking at it, etc. To speculate on future pricing...it's kind of like trying to guess the stock market. There's no way to know what will happen with this or any other figure produced. This has been discussed ad nauseum, but some collectors only purchase in the hopes of eventually turning a profit down the line. This makes them happy and feel as though they're 'winning'. For others, they purchase because they enjoy the characters presence, or perhaps it reminds them of fond childhood memories and wish to add it to their collection. If your end-goal is to eventually make a profit by buying and selling this, then you may as well flip a coin to help you decide. However, if you think this piece is interesting to look at because of the distinct weathering and oddly colored limbs and such, then those should be your driving decisions. The latter is precisely why, when my Waitlist converted, I purchased it immediately. I've always been a fan of 'different' or 'unique' looks to common pieces, which is why I like this AOTC version so much. I'll likely also pick up the ANH version when its finally released, in order to have the OG version and this uncommon 'variant' , if you will.

Bo, for someone as selective as you are in terms of space/cost, I'm surprised I never realized your affection for the PT ran this deep. That said, I think I recall you debating Maul and picking up Qui-Gon. (Let me know if I have that wrong)

Will this be your first 3PO?
TonTon....Awww you know me my friend. In the end I picked up both Qui-Gon and Maul. I don't mind the PT. Yes this will be my first C-3PO. I know for a fact that if HT only had the OT 3PO offering I would not be interested. It's the weathering of the PT that makes me feel that it is a good fit for my collection. I don't own R2 and have no desire too. AOTC C-3PO will be displayed like my other 1/6.....one per Detolf shelf.

"...I don't own R2 and have no desire too. AOTC C-3PO will be displayed like my other 1/6.....one per Detolf shelf."
Same for me, I won't pick up the R2 either. Just going to display this, in addition to some other random robots from various franchises.

One can speculate till the cows come home, but at the end of the day, I feel it's best to collect because you're interested in the figure and enjoy displaying it/looking at it, etc. To speculate on future pricing...it's kind of like trying to guess the stock market. There's no way to know what will happen with this or any other figure produced. This has been discussed ad nauseum, but some collectors only purchase in the hopes of eventually turning a profit down the line. This makes them happy and feel as though they're 'winning'. For others, they purchase because they enjoy the characters presence, or perhaps it reminds them of fond childhood memories and wish to add it to their collection. If your end-goal is to eventually make a profit by buying and selling this, then you may as well flip a coin to help you decide. However, if you think this piece is interesting to look at because of the distinct weathering and oddly colored limbs and such, then those should be your driving decisions. The latter is precisely why, when my Waitlist converted, I purchased it immediately. I've always been a fan of 'different' or 'unique' looks to common pieces, which is why I like this AOTC version so much. I'll likely also pick up the ANH version when its finally released, in order to have the OG version and this uncommon 'variant' , if you will.

Sure and that's an easy choice for you. You like this one and you have the option to have both. Not everyone is building out their collection that way though. So I do think looking at people's collecting patterns is important when you're someone that's willing to go to secondary market down the line. Not necessarily for sales, but for buying "in the dip" as it were.

Pictures, feed me pictures! Try to get droid 3PO to hold his blaster with both hands. If not possible, please share info. Happy collecting!
I didn’t try the blaster in both hands but did see some videos through this thread that make it look awkward.

Attachments

• IMG_4789.jpeg
    IMG_4789.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
1694722275933.png
Have an opportunity to buy a waitlisted C-3PO from SSC. Checking out different stores within and outside the Union. LCDN is by far the cheapest option domestically. Most other stores charge €400 - 500! Insane!

Popcultcha, slowest supplier found but might be the best alternative to be honest. Dang it! I'm making too much of a story out of this :LOL:

EDIT: Made a tragic error for LCDN, discounted twice. New price, fun $400.

Update:
1694723545825.png

Last edited:
TonTon....Awww you know me my friend. In the end I picked up both Qui-Gon and Maul. I don't mind the PT. Yes this will be my first C-3PO. I know for a fact that if HT only had the OT 3PO offering I would not be interested. It's the weathering of the PT that makes me feel that it is a good fit for my collection. I don't own R2 and have no desire too. AOTC C-3PO will be displayed like my other 1/6.....one per Detolf shelf.
:duff Well congrats. This figure will really look exceptional. I'm mostly just OT for space reasons now but can't stop looking at this one. The heavy weathering is so Star Wars and they really nailed it.

Sure and that's an easy choice for you. You like this one and you have the option to have both. Not everyone is building out their collection that way though. So I do think looking at people's collecting patterns is important when you're someone that's willing to go to secondary market down the line. Not necessarily for sales, but for buying "in the dip" as it were.
Yeah, very good point here, you're absolutely right. I didn't consider that angle.

Back