1/6 1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 452 - Star Wars: Episode V ESB - Darth Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Use a bit of museum putty inside the helmet, will not get off easily again. And compared to ANH/RO the ESB lid stays up more, giving Vader than surprised look, depending on scene.

I'm worried about this figure... I love to make "poses" and I read about hand issues, surprised face because of helmet... I'm thinking in cancel my buying. I Have Luke and Leia and I would like to have their "father" between both... but... I don't know.. What do you think?

web IMG_3575.jpg

This is one of the most frustrating figures to pose that I’ve ever had.

The cape is a knightmare to get laying right and I can’t get the hands to peg in unless I pull the pegs out of the arms, heat the hands up and the peg them into the hands I want on then peg them into the arm.

And the articulation of the arms is very restricted.

The cape is a knightmare to get laying right and I can’t get the hands to peg in unless I pull the pegs out of the arms, heat the hands up and the peg them into the hands I want on then peg them into the arm.

Seriously? I will cancel it... ����

Huh, I’ve not had that kind of trouble. The only thing that’s been difficult for me was swapping the regular arm for the light-up saber arm. And while I wouldnt call it easy, after I’d succeded in swapping it a few times it’s become much more manageable.

As for posing the figure, of course the costume is more restrictive. All 1/6 Vaders are rather restricted in motion. Also, the leather body suit is quite stiff fresh out of the package. But if you work with it a bit it gets “broken in” and becomes more flexible. He’s always going to be limited due to the multiple layers, armor, etc.; but I haven’t had an issue getting some nice poses out of him.

I love the cape. It’s heavy and drapes very well.

I’ve read several people having trouble swapping the hands, but I haven’t really had any problems. You have to push them rather firmly, and it helps immensely to get the arm into a position where you can apply steady and quite firm pressure. But I’ve swapped out all the various hands now and I’ve gotten every one on and off the peg without any major difficulty.

As for the sculpt, to each their own. I certainly won’t say it’s perfect, but I think it looks pretty great. In hand, the only complaint I’ve got is the tusk angle. And with the right poses, you can minimize the impact of that issue in person.

Personally I think the figure is awesome and has way more positives than negatives. I’ve been very happy with my purchase. But if this one doesn’t float your boat, there’s three other Vader figures from Hot Toys and each of them has their strengths.

Its a great figure, best Hot Toys Vader so far imho, such as big upgrade all over vs my old SS deluxe. Not perfect but looking at the shelf its Darth Vader alright.

Yeah every Vader figure so far has been a pain to pose just because of the thick body suit and various parts you have to arrange properly. And that will almost certainly be the case with the ROTJ version as well. So that shouldn't be something that stops you from getting one.

Some figures just take a lot more work is all.

Buy extra black HT pegs from Toy Anxiety. That’s what I did for the Rogue One gloves for my ANH figure. Each one now has a peg already in it.

Yeah every Vader figure so far has been a pain to pose just because of the thick body suit and various parts you have to arrange properly. And that will almost certainly be the case with the ROTJ version as well. So that shouldn't be something that stops you from getting one.

Some figures just take a lot more work is all.

Good post.

Last edited:
I'm worried about this figure... I love to make "poses" and I read about hand issues, surprised face because of helmet... I'm thinking in cancel my buying. I Have Luke and Leia and I would like to have their "father" between both... but... I don't know.. What do you think?

If you think you need ESB Vader in your collection then buy it. No matter what Vader will HT release in time it will not be perfect, all might have various accuracy issues, restrictive suits, hands replacement difficulties and so on. That being said I really enjoy this figure, and the base is killer.

The surprised face isn't because the helmet dome is too high. it's because of the bad facemask sculpt and eye lenses slanted the wrong way
In the movies I much prefer the helmet dome sitting higher and the rounder eyes of ESB/ RotJ vs ANH but in this figure it looks messed up somehow. In fact the low sitting dome is the main reason I don' t like the ANH version

I'm just waiting for a RoTJ to be announced soon and see if they re-sculpted it .I hope they realized their mistake after making the 1/4 prototype which looks a lot closer to the real thing

The surprised face isn't because the helmet dome is too high. it's because of the bad facemask sculpt and eye lenses slanted the wrong way
In the movies I much prefer the helmet dome sitting higher and the rounder eyes of ESB/ RotJ vs ANH but in this figure it looks messed up somehow. In fact the low sitting dome is the main reason I don' t like the ANH version

I'm just waiting for a RoTJ to be announced soon and see if they re-sculpted it .I hope they realized their mistake after making the 1/4 prototype which looks a lot closer to the real thing

Interesting... thanks!!!

This Vader looks beautiful.
Never really wanted a 1/6th Vader but after getting Dark Side Anakin, now I want a Sith Lord and Vader himself.

Back