1/6 1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 452 - Star Wars: Episode V ESB - Darth Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My figure has been delivered but I won't get to it until after work. I'm pretty sure I'm going to be more than happy with it from what I've seen and looking forward to unboxing it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

When the heck are the Royal Guards and the Emperor going to be revealed!

Enough of this Vader stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lord Vader's arrived! Gonna unbox him in a few minutes, any photo wishes for out of the box unfutzed angles/details for anyone still on the fence?

Maximum angle his head goes forward.
Shoulder pauldrons pushed under chest armor.

I have to give props to the Unreal Customs cape......its unreal! :) If you wrap the cape wire around the neck peg, the head can still articulate freely, on my custom Sideshow ROTJ Ver.2 Vader with modified Rogue One helmet.

"Join me, and together we can rule the galaxy as father and son!"

BOBBY

the Rogue One helmet can be made into a convincing ESB version, I raised and tilted the dome backwards, removed the widows peak, and tinted the lens clear black. The nose plug was shortened so it sits deeper into the mask, and the neck area was sanded down by 3mm so the whole head sits lower on the torso. The tusks recieved 1mm silver ball ends and a new larger chin vent was cut out with a correct mesh pattern. The only thing left to do is replace the upper mouth mesh, but i happen to like the silver contrast of the original.

I think these mods make the Ver. 2 Sideshow ROTJ/Hot Toys Rogue One hybrid a viable contender for an ESB Vader on my shelf. Its larger size has the presence I need so it towers over his troops and it looks like he can stand up to the 1/6 Predators and Aliens figures on my shelf. 1/6 customs for the win :)

Cheers,

BOBBY

Those helmet photos scream "Now THAT'S Vader!" to me. If HT had simply done what you did to their previous helmet, this discussion would have been totally different. The obsessive scrutiny would have been unnecessary because the overall look would be convincing enough.

Outstanding work!!! The seamless way that you addressed and fixed some of what needed to be done is phenomenal! This awesome custom helmet certainly lives up to your username by being absolutely miniature art. Thank you for sharing your pics of it here!

Miniature art's mod just topped the retail esb figure from Hot Toys imo.

This is exactly why I'm not buying the announced Darth Maul figure and why people do their Vaderology disputes here, the prices are getting out of hand compared to what you're getting.

This is such a key point, with some often-overlooked common sense. People seem to forget (or just don't care) that this Vader figure ends up being close to US$300 after shipping. When I read posts criticizing "nerds" for nitpicking things to death, I laugh and shake my head. A figure like this is either more of a 1/6-scale collectible, or it's more a 1/6-scale toy. The details and accuracy are what decide which category it falls under for me.

The difference is that a collectible should be like a piece of art; thus the high price. A toy has a lower standard; hence the typical affordability. A figure that asks for "collectible art" money shouldn't need to be debated and scrutinized. It should be convincing enough at first glance (like the 1/4 Vader) to make over-scrutiny unnecessary. People like me only post the "Vaderology" photos to help illustrate the specifics of why it just "looks off" to others. If it looked more like movie Vader, I wouldn't bother (and no, it wouldn't ever need to be "perfect").

If HT had done what MINIATURE-ART did in modifying their earlier sculpt, we wouldn't have had a 100-page debate here about how this helmet turned out. If MINIATURE-ART can spot flaws and improve on the first HT helmet sculpt (without the resources that a major company like HT has), then why shouldn't people expect the same level of artistry and attention to detail from HT themselves? Especially since they're asking close to $300 for it. That part seems to get forgotten too often.

Nice work on your custom Bobby!...This comparison with SS really highlights the flaws of the HT mask...bags under the eye lens,underscaled nose and overscaled mouth...really do mirror that awful SS mask...which for me is the worst ever made in 1/6...
If this had been HT first go at vader we might be more forgiving...but when comparing it with previous HT vader versions the flaws become more apparent and makes it more of a disappointment..

Very well said! I completely agree with every word. And the helmet is easily the most important part of the Vader costume. It's such a definitive aspect of the whole character (and figure) for me.

Lord Vader's arrived! Gonna unbox him in a few minutes, any photo wishes for out of the box unfutzed angles/details for anyone still on the fence?

I'm really curious how he looks against an average figure. Not just Luke or another Vader. Doesn't even have to be SW related.

Pose him with Stormtroopers
Pose him doing the Luke I am your father hand extended and you don't know the power of the dark side fist poses.
Try some dynamic saber swinging.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love my ANH Vader, with V2 gloves. I’m sure he’ll look all kinds of wrong to all you Vader experts out there, but to me he just looks like Vader!! As previously mentioned, I have his tunic underneath his chest armour, as I don’t like the over-the-armour look, and was going for a more generic look anyway. I have got the ESB Vader on pre-order, but I won’t be keeping it! More than happy for my ANH Vader to duel with my ROTJ Luke!! :pfft:

15D74C88-2260-48CE-894F-DF996E2D7590.jpg

No sign from rayeknok. Either he is flying because of happiness or lost in pain and misery.

I love my ANH Vader, with V2 gloves. I’m sure he’ll look all kinds of wrong to all you Vader experts out there, but to me he just looks like Vader!! As previously mentioned, I have his tunic underneath his chest armour, as I don’t like the over-the-armour look, and was going for a more generic look anyway. I have got the ESB Vader on pre-order, but I won’t be keeping it! More than happy for my ANH Vader to duel with my ROTJ Luke!! :pfft:

View attachment 424381
Why did you order the ESB if you were more than happy with ANH?

Right, and after coming to this thread and posting repeatedly about how much it sucks they will more likely continue to do so. Sigh....
i do not understand the critics....just got mine. its perfect. in every way. the last vader i will ever need.

y'all are some picky ass MF'ers

No sign from rayeknok. Either he is flying because of happiness or lost in pain and misery.

Haha!

First impressions - All the nitpicks are way overstated. Impressed with this figure.

Tusk issue are not as bad as it seems in hand, neither is the mouth trangle, thats the one feature that tricks you in photos because its the part of his face closest to the lens from lens distortion when taking photos as I just experienced.
Is the triangle a little too big? Yes, but in hand it is a lot less then pics and videos make it look like.

Cloak is great. Heavy! drapes perfectly. I thought the chestbox was oversized out of the box, but looking at my bluray of ESB it seems accurate.
Body seems proportionate, he is shorter then anh and r1 Vaders but by no means too short, again looking at the bluray, if anything futz his codpiece, belt, box and armor and he's good, maybe a bit short at the ankles but literally can be his boot soles being thinner then the costume.

Dome sits squarely on his head, you can turn him upside down and shake and it will stay put, if you bump into it moving your hands fast I can see it coming off, but its by no means loose. Still think they could put magnets there, if only for another feel of quality, rest of the figure sure got it.

I will put up some very non futzed pics from so far unseen angels in a few moments.

Back