1/6 1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 452 - Star Wars: Episode V ESB - Darth Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This website earns it's name everytime a major Star Wars character is released. Seriously guys break out teleprompters & calipers :rotfl

Here's an illustration of what I was referring to about the eyes. I drew yellow outlines around the HT eyes and copied them over to the movie Vader image. You can see how the movie eyes are bigger and how the corners of them extend significantly further. The red lines are to show that the helmets are scaled to one another.

I could make it clearer if the original photo of the figure wasn't so low-resolution and grainy. But, it is what it is. Do you see what I mean about the size and shape of the eyes here?

View attachment 424278

yes, exactly

This website earns it's name everytime a major Star Wars character is released. Seriously guys break out teleprompters & calipers :rotfl

I never knew you could earn a degree in Vaderology until now

It’s pretty ridiculous the more I see. And I’ve seen this for quite a few releases now over the years. But this one might just be the craziest. Nevertheless I’m just ready to get mine. They’re never perfect and they never will be but dammit when I look at the shelf with him next to Bespin Luke I’m gonna see Vader and it’s gonna make me happy. That’s all I want and need at this point.

Life is too short to obsess at that extreme level. And just like with any figure, years down the road when they release a V2 or whatever I’ll upgrade if it’s better. Simple as that. But for now this will certainly do.

Miniature art's mod just topped the retail esb figure from Hot Toys imo.

This is exactly why I'm not buying the announced Darth Maul figure and why people do their Vaderology disputes here, the prices are getting out of hand compared to what you're getting.. I have a hard limit on how much I will spend on a piece of plastic, unless its really ridiculously close like the 1:4 Vader in 1:6 size or so.. maybe in 5 years I'll be ready to break the hard $275 limit I've set on these things.

Above that is statue territory for me.

I was all set to purchase the ESB Vader from Hot Toys, but I'm not liking the the seperation line in the tusks, and the shorter stature which makes the figure less imposing and somewhat stumpy looking in my opinion. I modified my Sideshow Ver.2 Vader with the Hot Toys Rogue One parts, namely the chest armor and helmet, with the ANH suit, cape (minus chain) and inner robe. The body was modified by extending the neck to fit the Hot toys helmet, and cutting away parts of the torso at the sides so the arms can lay flat, as well as the torso and buttocks for better poseability :

I think these mods make the Ver. 2 Sideshow ROTJ/Hot Toys Rogue One hybrid a viable contender for an ESB Vader on my shelf. Its larger size has the presence I need so it towers over his troops and it looks like he can stand up to the 1/6 Predators and Aliens figures on my shelf. 1/6 customs for the win :)

Cheers,

BOBBY

Wow, simply incredible work on that helmet!:clap And love all the work you've done on the overall proportions.

That pose does look a bit like Vader coming out of Ruby Tuesdays on a Friday night with a belly in need of a rest though.:lol

I was all set to purchase the ESB Vader from Hot Toys, but I'm not liking the the seperation line in the tusks, and the shorter stature which makes the figure less imposing and somewhat stumpy looking in my opinion. I modified my Sideshow Ver.2 Vader with the Hot Toys Rogue One parts, namely the chest armor and helmet, with the ANH suit, cape (minus chain) and inner robe. The body was modified by extending the neck to fit the Hot toys helmet, and cutting away parts of the torso at the sides so the arms can lay flat, as well as the torso and buttocks for better poseability :

the Rogue One helmet can be made into a convincing ESB version, I raised and tilted the dome backwards, removed the widows peak, and tinted the lens clear black. The nose plug was shortened so it sits deeper into the mask, and the neck area was sanded down by 3mm so the whole head sits lower on the torso. The tusks recieved 1mm silver ball ends and a new larger chin vent was cut out with a correct mesh pattern. The only thing left to do is replace the upper mouth mesh, but i happen to like the silver contrast of the original.

I think these mods make the Ver. 2 Sideshow ROTJ/Hot Toys Rogue One hybrid a viable contender for an ESB Vader on my shelf. Its larger size has the presence I need so it towers over his troops and it looks like he can stand up to the 1/6 Predators and Aliens figures on my shelf. 1/6 customs for the win :)

Cheers,

BOBBY

de36292243594c2413f75e9f2199d7be.jpg

Also rocking a Sideshow body. Awesome combo.

What robe/tunic do you use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bebe13juinor, the robe and tunic from the Tarkin Vader set. Looks like you have my Vader's twin brother:)

BOBBY

Last edited:
Wow, simply incredible work on that helmet!:clap And love all the work you've done on the overall proportions.

That pose does look a bit like Vader coming out of Ruby Tuesdays on a Friday night with a belly in need of a rest though.:lol

Thanks! The stock Sideshow ROTJ body, it is thick in the middle, with a pronounced barrel chest section, essential to mimic David Proswe's physique in my opinion. The Rogue One body is very nice with a very strong muscular build especially in the shoulders, but since I was going for ESB I stuck with Sideshow body.

BOBBY

So looking at all these pics other freaks have posted of the Hot Toys ESB Vader, I could not help but feel it looked familiar:

The pic on the left is courtesy of Kylo Ren,the pic on the right is my Sideshow ROTJ Vader head modified with the much larger Hot Toys Rogue One dome. To me this combination looks eerily similar to the newer Hot toys ESB Vader head sculpt. :slap

I remember alot of people complained the Sideshow mouth was too large, perhaps not after all? Originally the Sideshow's smaller dome may have exaggerated the effect, because it looks fine to me, and more proportional with the Hot toys rogue One dome.

BOBBY

Last edited:
MINITURE, what do you think you spent on your custom kitbash in the end? Looks more viable than any HT I've seen.

MINITURE, what do you think you spent on your custom kitbash in the end? Looks more viable than any HT I've seen.

Darth Moneypit? :) I estimate I spent $140 on the Rogue One parts. Which isn't unusual for me since I typically pick up spare parts off TA or Ebay for conversion work, or just to have in case of breakage etc.

BOBBY

the Rogue One helmet can be made into a convincing ESB version, I raised and tilted the dome backwards, removed the widows peak, and tinted the lens clear black. The nose plug was shortened so it sits deeper into the mask, and the neck area was sanded down by 3mm so the whole head sits lower on the torso. The tusks recieved 1mm silver ball ends and a new larger chin vent was cut out with a correct mesh pattern. The only thing left to do is replace the upper mouth mesh, but i happen to like the silver contrast of the original.

Cheers,

BOBBY

Perfection here man!!!! (I think you have only to eliminate the pin on the belt)

how did you modify the lower chin grill and make it looks seamless?

At one point, I will post an article with pics in the customs section, but it involves removing the dome, seperating the head, and punching out the original chin mesh insert. I then used needle files and X-Acto knife to enlarge the chin aperature according to my photo references. I pressed a sheet of paper against the enlarged chin triangle, to form an accurate impression, then traced the outline of the larger chin triangle on paper as a template for a sheet styrene insert, to which a glued an appropriately sized and shaped metal mesh. That was then placed into the enlarged chin triangle, and cemented into place. The whole lower half of the helmet was polished and a fresh layer of clear gloss airbrushed on to restore the finish.

BOBBY

Last edited:
Back