1/6 1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 452 - Star Wars: Episode V ESB - Darth Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
question for MINIATURE_ART (or any other modder out there)

Since you did all those mods on the RO helmet and re positioned it, do you know if it's possible to fix the too straight and outwards flare? Like heating the plastric and bending it with some kind of tool. It feels like if you bent that front dome tip about 1mm to change the flare curve it would be a perfect match to the film version

Like trying to match the ROTJ Hot Toys 1:4.Here's what I mean:

RO dome.JPGflare 1.4.jpg

Accuracy issues and helmet falling off aside, are there any other qc issues to be aware of? I like how it looks and I just want a decent Vader to go with my Anakin. I just want to know if there is anything to watch out for as far as breakage, improper molding, etc. is concerned.

I was all set to purchase the ESB Vader from Hot Toys, but I'm not liking the the seperation line in the tusks, and the shorter stature which makes the figure less imposing and somewhat stumpy looking in my opinion. I modified my Sideshow Ver.2 Vader with the Hot Toys Rogue One parts, namely the chest armor and helmet, with the ANH suit, cape (minus chain) and inner robe. The body was modified by extending the neck to fit the Hot toys helmet, and cutting away parts of the torso at the sides so the arms can lay flat, as well as the torso and buttocks for better poseability :

the Rogue One helmet can be made into a convincing ESB version, I raised and tilted the dome backwards, removed the widows peak, and tinted the lens clear black. The nose plug was shortened so it sits deeper into the mask, and the neck area was sanded down by 3mm so the whole head sits lower on the torso. The tusks recieved 1mm silver ball ends and a new larger chin vent was cut out with a correct mesh pattern. The only thing left to do is replace the upper mouth mesh, but i happen to like the silver contrast of the original.
Cheers,

BOBBY

That is quite a job. I'm in the process of doing most of what you've done with this helmet and the teeth and mesh are one piece - separating the teeth and mesh is majorly delicate surgery and sanding. It is worth doing though because even though the silver reads nicely behind the teeth, the mesh pattern is so noticeably wrong. Really great to see HT remedied that on the new ESB Vader.

when you view it sideways you can't see the mouth Leight and badly shaped dome.

The RO also looks better from that angle and I positioned him on the shelf so I mostly see it that way

Accuracy issues and helmet falling off aside, are there any other qc issues to be aware of? I like how it looks and I just want a decent Vader to go with my Anakin. I just want to know if there is anything to watch out for as far as breakage, improper molding, etc. is concerned.

They use cheap glue (as always) and some figures had the face mask fall off the head sculpt and need to be re-glued.

Nice shot, epitaph!

Where are all of the usual suspects and their video reviews? So far just a couple and frankly, neither presented a thorough review...am I just missing them? Have our friends in the far east posted any?

Maybe HT knew there was going to be criticism of this figure and they made sure there wasn't too many reviews around before shipping them out

it's like they weren't too proud of it to begin with

Definitely need a couple solid video reviews of this before I even consider going forward with the purchase. I've never seen a figure looks so horribly different pic to pic.

Yeah Epitaph that is a great shot! And great kitbash MINIATURE-ART!

Just wanted to post a couple pics with the Unreal Customs wired cape. The wires at the front edges even more so won’t let the head look down, but it’s still such a great cape:

c7c0e4ee9b93a9f4d7acb3766e03abac.jpg

190a71dee8f60a2f0b6117e6d6519912.jpg

Do we know if we're going to get a ROTJ 1/6 version or could this be the last Vader? Was going to pull the trigger on this or ESB Fett but can't decide. Want a Vader but this thread is making me hesitate.

Yeah Epitaph that is a great shot! And great kitbash MINIATURE-ART!

Just wanted to post a couple pics with the Unreal Customs wired cape. The wires at the front edges even more so won’t let the head look down, but it’s still such a great cape:

190a71dee8f60a2f0b6117e6d6519912.jpg

It's pics like this that make it clear we've been spoiled with 1/6 Vaders to the point we can't just step back and say "that looks pretty damn good.":lol

Do we know if we're going to get a ROTJ 1/6 version or could this be the last Vader? Was going to pull the trigger on this or ESB Fett but can't decide. Want a Vader but this thread is making me hesitate.

The tusk rail cuts and the featuring of a very similar ESB/ROTJ-style Vader in the Luke Jedi promos, along with Palps shipping soon, all but 100% confirm there will be a HT ROTJ Vader in the next year.

The choice to do use the one sculpt for the ROTJ and non-reveal ESB/ROTJ helmets may have contributed to the issues with this ESB helmet (ability to split, accomodating an Anakin head etc.) Companies have long tried to do that - from 4" Hasbro to 12" SSC and Hasbro - and it just requires too close of a tolerance to work properly.

The gap between the tusk rails is probably less than a mm on this helmet, yet its a visible "break," and the glue-toegther of the two mask halves has created a half mm rise that might be what's throwing off the mouth triangle proportions for some. Hard to say until we get close-up comp pics.

If I were a betting man, I’d bet every penny I own on HT making several Vaders in the future. I’m impatient so I want a Vader now lol. So far the minuscule inaccuracies don’t bother me, and the other qc issues don’t seem that major. However I’m still waiting to be convinced.:gah: this hobby some times

Have there been any up-close pics yet of the RO/ANH helmet side-by-side with the new ESB helmet? really interested to compare the two helmets from various angles in close-up.

The new helmet overall seems a bit smaller than the first version. From some angles, I do prefer the old sculpt, but there's just as many angles I think the new sculpt seems better. It may be where the "flatter face" and downward tusk rail angles aren't as noticeable. The older RO/ANH sculpt still has a hint of the insect look the ANH proto had, whereas the new ESB sculpt doesn't seem to have it.

Spreading the word, deluxe Fett has been parted out on Toy Anxiety
Does anyone know how to get their site back on mobile mode? I clicked on classic/regular viewing at the bottom & can't get it back to 'normal'.

Back