1/6 1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 452 - Star Wars: Episode V ESB - Darth Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love how this figure is both the best yet..... and the worst yet... :lol

Soooo, which is it? Those that don't have a Vader think this looks great (cause they are tired of waiting and missed out on the previous versions), and those that have previous Vader's are yet again let down by HT constant inaccuracies.

For some the ANH (v1 or v2) is the best, for others RO is the best. It just shows how biased people's opinions are.

Gotta love this hobby and it's collectors. :) (I'm one of them :wink1:)

But seriously, it is frustrating to want the perfect Vader. Something I think we will never see unfortunately. I agree with many. Some pictures look great and make we want it, others make me realize I can wait for the ROTJ version since that will be all this is and more. The only thing most likely lost would be the diorama base. All I know is that when I look over at my ANH v1, I'm still satisfied that I like it the best so far. But then again, having the original SS ANH & the SS DX mere feet away also gives me perspective on the improvements HT has made.

The only way to truly judge and have a true valid opinion would be to own them all and have them all standing side by side. Something only a very few select collectors will be able to do. Hopefully we get some pics like the ones we have of the previous 3 together (ANH v1 & v2 & RO all broken down and compared side by side). Being a SW Vader fan 1st with everything else coming in 2nd, I'd love to have them all. But the rational side of me realizes it is not necessary nor justified. But I could fill a room just with Vader collectibles and merchandise.

Where is that pic of all three together! I must see it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where is that pic of all three together! I must see it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've posted it before in one of the threads. Here's the persons flickr account. I stumbled upon a few pics in some Japanese collector forums and then found the guys flickr account. Must go through all the pictures. He shows all 3 previous HT Vaders (ANH v1, Tarkin v2 & RO) in great comparison and breakdown photo's. I'm hoping he gets this new ESB version and does the same. I keep checking.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/58847938@N06/albums/72157691503954841

Enjoy.

Soooo, which is it? Those that don't have a Vader think this looks great (cause they are tired of waiting and missed out on the previous versions), and those that have previous Vader's are yet again let down by HT constant inaccuracies.

For some the ANH (v1 or v2) is the best, for others RO is the best. It just shows how biased people's opinions are.

But seriously, it is frustrating to want the perfect Vader. Something I think we will never see unfortunately. I agree with many. Some pictures look great and make we want it, others make me realize I can wait for the ROTJ version since that will be all this is and more. The only thing most likely lost would be the diorama base. All I know is that when I look over at my ANH v1, I'm still satisfied that I like it the best so far. But then again, having the original SS ANH & the SS DX mere feet away also gives me perspective on the improvements HT has made.

The only way to truly judge and have a true valid opinion would be to own them all and have them all standing side by side. Something only a very few select collectors will be able to do. Hopefully we get some pics like the ones we have of the previous 3 together (ANH v1 & v2 & RO all broken down and compared side by side). Being a SW Vader fan 1st with everything else coming in 2nd, I'd love to have them all. But the rational side of me realizes it is not necessary nor justified. But I could fill a room just with Vader collectibles and merchandise.

It's a lot of noise when a new figure comes out. I see what I like and buy it, then judge it in hand. Ignore the noise, judge for yourself. I've had them all, this one looks to me to be the best yet. I want them all though so I can only hope they keep improving for the next one. What I find works best is to just ignore users who annoy me lol

yeah, the mouth seems ok in all the pictures taken by that BG_Toyarts...what gives...

maybe there's different "variations" :lol

That set of pictures makes me more hopeful. I think the lighting has a big part in how that figure looks

It's neither the best nor worst...somethings they've improved upon..which are then let down by the awful inaccurate tusk/tube mess...and reusing the same helmet from the ANH/R1 versions is just blasphemous.
Worryingly i can't see HT making a whole new dome for the ROTJ version either...

we can see that tusks shouldn’t have cuts in them ....

But HT used this moment to design their helmet. Blame George...

maxresdefault.jpg

This ESB Vader has an ROTS helmet!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

yeah, the mouth seems ok in all the pictures taken by that BG_Toyarts...what gives...

maybe there's different "variations" :lol

That set of pictures makes me more hopeful. I think the lighting has a big part in how that figure looks

The BG_TOYART pics look better because the lighting is closer to the lighting that we're used to seeing Vader under in the movie. But the structure of the helmet isn't different. :lol

Remember the pic yesterday with the small hand, that some here were saying was the worst photo so far? The one I used in the middle of a helmet comparison? Well, here's a BG_TOYART helmet shot next to that one (the new one is on the far right). Same exact proportions; but a more pronounced widow's peak and much better lighting. Again, though, the sculpt/structure is exactly the same as in the "worst" photo.

HTESBVader02a.jpg

If the figure looks good to you in the BG_TOYART shots, then I think you'll be happy with it when you get it in hand. And if you can get it under crisp white lighting (like with a JazzInc dio), I'm sure you'll enjoy this figure.

It's neither the best nor worst...somethings they've improved upon..which are then let down by the awful inaccurate tusk/tube mess...and reusing the same helmet from the ANH/R1 versions is just blasphemous.
Worryingly i can't see HT making a whole new dome for the ROTJ version either...

Yeah.... frustrating indeed. My main struggle isn't really the photos and whats off, but rather do I need both an ESB & ROTJ version since they are so similar. Very different from ANH (my favorite look). I hope the 1/6 ROTJ looks as good as the 1/4 scale.

I want the HT 1/4 scale Vader too. I've wanted a figure that would look great displayed with my MR lightsaber replicas and an eventual full size Vader helmet (figured I'd get the Efx PCR version eventually). The size of the 1/4 scale would be better. The only 1/4 scale I'd buy. Although I would prefer a 1/4 scale ANH version. I always planned to just use my original SS PF Vader. As much as I still love that statue, it's a bit outdated in the quality department. But still a bargain at like $300. I have the EX along with the 1/4 scale Mouse Droid.

Cancelled at BBTS. I really like the base but plan on getting jazz's dio. The figure looks fine overall but it shares some of the same problems that sideshow ultimate Vader had, and I already have that figure.

Did they re-use the R1/ANH dome or not? I'm not sure anymore. I thought they changed it but the flare looks like the R1 (not curved enough)

v2 will fix it all!

Then v3 will have a real miniature lightsaber and mass-shift capabilities to change from esb to rotj to anh and back.

v4 will have the same but let you choose a mix between them all, and a additional rots look.

v5 will have a 1:6 Executor as accessory.

The eventual Hot toys Rotj Vader will be 1:1, a live in actor in the suit who is around til you stop feeding him. He will also come with a jar of anti OCD pills :hi5:

Here's anothe BIG issue to me .The dome flare. This is a huge part in getting the "Vader look" right. On the 1:4 (left picture) they got it right and it is slightly curved inwards. On the ESB it is still to straight and "triangular" like the Rogue One/ANH .See what I mean:

flare 1.4.jpgflare 1.6.jpg

Remember the pic yesterday with the small hand, that some here were saying was the worst photo so far? Well, here's a BG_TOYART helmet shot next to that one (the new one is on the far right). Same exact proportions; but a more pronounced widow's peak and much better lighting.

You found one that's a good match, congratulations.

Lets try the ebay picture that was posted earlier today that I added to your line-up on the left --- oh look! Nose isn't as small.

ebay pic added rt.jpg

I think we can all find pictures to support our propositions. But in fact, in most pictures and videos I haven't been bothered by the nose. The shallow grill, absolutely. The separated tusk bars, damn right. But I still think the nose is a result of lens distortion.

And just in case: no one was making fun of you yesterday by saying that was the worst picture. We were making fun of the photo.

Just remember: v2 will fix it all! Yay second batch!

You found one that's a good match, congratulations.

Lets try the ebay picture that was posted earlier today --- oh look! Nose isn't as small.

View attachment 423850

I think we can all find pictures to support our propositions. But in fact, in most pictures and videos I haven't been bothered by the nose. The shallow grill, absolutely. The separated tusk bars, damn right. But I still think the nose is a result of lens distortion.

And just in case: no one was making fun of you yesterday by saying that was the worst picture. We were making fun of the photo.

Just remember: v2 will fix it all! Yay second batch!

Wow. I wasn't being defensive about the photo, Wor-Gar. I was using "worst" to make it clear that the "best" still shows the same features in the same proportions.

I have no problem with the tiny-hand phto being called "the worst" one. I don't care. I was just trying to help Lord Valefor see how lighting can change the appearance of the same sculpt. In fact, every photo I've posted has been meant to help. I didn't think that drawing attention to movie comparisons would be such a touchy thing.

I've clearly worn out my welcome here, and I'm more than glad to step away from this thread. One last time: every figure has flaws, and people are going to see them differently. This ESB Vader isn't worse than any other 1/6 Vader; but I do wish it was better. That's all.

Enjoy this one, guys. There is a lot that's cool about it.

Back