1/6 1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 452 - Star Wars: Episode V ESB - Darth Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is the list of stunt performers that were in Return of the Jedi - but it doesn't indicate who played what...

ROTJ stunt list.JPG

Could be something in Rinzler's "making of..." book...

Another forum I visit (can’t remember which. May have been originaltrilogy... May have been thepropden) identified the guy in that photo. I don’t remember for certain but I believe he was just a stage hand or some other behind the scenes type worker who happened to be available and about the right size for a reshoot/pick up shot that they needed.

I was just curious. I searched up some behind the scenes photos from SW and came across it.

I never thought about stuntmen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ha! Good catch! If I remember right this guy only played Vader specifically in the closeup shot of his hands as he's looking at Luke's saber.

What's interesting about that pic is that Prowse was really angry about how he was treated on ROTJ vs ESB/ANH. Apparently Marquand really couldn't care less if it was Prowse or another stand-in in the suit, and Prowse would often hear they shot a scene with Vader without him. Some of it might have been the earliest issues of Prowse vs LFL that seemed to begin just before ESB came out. So that pic doesn't seem surprising.

An interloper under the mask. I wonder if he was in the suit for that whole Luke/Vader Endor scene or just the insert shot of the saber in the hands. The fact Marquand is directing suggests its main unit, not second unit (who would have shot stuff like the saber in the hands cutaway shot,) therefore that guy likely played Vader in that whole Endor scene. That's a pretty big deal.

Whoever that guy is, I'm surprised he hasn't shown up on the convention circuit.

That pic's all the proof he needs to sign: "(insert dude's name here) IS Darth Vader."

I love how he's even wearing a ROTJ crew cap.

Ha! Good catch! If I remember right this guy only played Vader specifically in the closeup shot of his hands as he's looking at Luke's saber.

I always felt that shot was weird.....like it wasnt Vader doing that...now ill never look at that shot the same way knowing its not Prowse :gah:

Aha! Found it. Thanks to Z6P0 on originaltrilogy.com:

According to The Making of Return of the Jedi (iBooks edition, page 577) it’s Harold Cole, a stage technician. He is in front of a painted backdrop, and the shot would only include Vader’s hands.

Source:
https://originaltrilogy.com/post/id/1057055/action/topic#1057055

I recognised the name Harold Cole: he was an effects stage technician for ILM and from my ILM book he worked on ET, Temple of Doom, Star Trek 2 and Poltergeist.

He's holding Luke's saber like in the close up of Vader examining it. This guy may have been second unit doing pick up shots.

Amazing to think Marquand would be directing 2nd unit, but with VFX involved in this shot, it makes sense I guess.

The matte painter Craig Barron also played Vader for the ROTJ scene where he arrives on Endor to meet up with Luke - walking down the ramp.

Does it bother anyone else that the figure comes with a pointing right hand, but in the film Vader usually (always?) points with his left? It’s a minor nit, to be sure, but now that I’ve noticed, I can’t unsee it.

Still love the figure.

Does it bother anyone else that the figure comes with a pointing right hand, but in the film Vader usually (always?) points with his left? It’s a minor nit, to be sure, but now that I’ve noticed, I can’t unsee it.

Still love the figure.

I noticed it, but I’m allowing myself to forget. LOL

Back