1/6 1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 452 - Star Wars: Episode V ESB - Darth Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah that’s true. He was a bit hunched in that Bespin scene while attempting to convince Luke.

More source material:

A17526E7-B6FB-41F0-B425-4068841550DA.jpeg

Belt boxes also weren’t right up against the buckle like in ANH.

Ok that looks cheap. dang

If I remember correctly though, Vader's sheen cape was separate from his outer cape in Empire. When he's making his final walk away from camera after the Falcon jumps to hyperspace it really looks like they are not connected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sadly, I may have to call timewalker tomorrow and lower the axe. What was the MMS number for the single version of the tarkin vader and is it a decent figure despite the height?

V2 ANH Vader wasn’t offered as a single figure. You were only able to get him with the Tarkin two-pack. Though it doesn’t look good, the v1 looks more accurate to my eye when I look at the two. Mostly because of the chest box.

He isn't bent over in this shot. Maybe the belt i higher than it should be, I don't know. Or maybe they used a larger chest box in a few instances.

vader 4.jpg

This thread is moving so fast.

Most photos are taken from below.

Yeah, looks good from low angles. Better put Vader on the top shelf.

Personally, I prefer ESB size.

Curious if the body is compatible with the ANH parts. Sounds like the fixed chest box is an obstacle to easy mods though.

View attachment 423945
Mask keeps falling off straight out the box. Anyone else get that? Looks like bad glue.

So creepy! Thanks for posting and sorry about the glue.

Me too 1/4 is winner

I had no interest in 1/4 until that Vader showed up. Still uncertain.

Starting to think I might just do what others have done-- put the SS parts on my RO Vader and call it a day. Since I'm not really seeing how it would look any more inaccurate than this "official" ESB Vader with all it's issues.

And then I'll just try to pick up an ANH Vader later on so I can have that look.

It’s a good look, all you need is the SS chest box — which you have — and now you should have some compatible ESB gloves, though the SS ones are easy to come by too if you’re patient. Not sure if either are better than these new ones. A bit better scale maybe.

Last edited:
While checking official photos, I realized that shoulder armor are also huge in those shots but they always pressed it to his arms. So the arm does not seem flimsy in those shots. Look at the rigt shoulder pauldron in this shot. It's like this in every official shot.

View attachment 423978

It'll help if owners can pose the figüre like this and take a shot of it.

I wish the figure ended up looking like that. That looks about right to my eye.

As a summary, the inaccuracies are:
1-Tusk angles are wrong. Maybe pulling them out and dremelling may fix, but experienced hands are needed.
2-Upper tusk bar has a seam which shouldn't exist.
3-Shoulder pauldrons seem big. But they are same way in the movie, they just should be pushed under chest armor.
4-Size is shorter than previous Vaders, but this one seem to be correct height.
5-Capes not sewn below, but it is mentioned it was that way in the movie also.
6-Chest box bigger than it should be and fixed. Maybe belt can be pulled lower to give the illusion of space.
7-Dome shape which actually didn't bother me at all.

You guys crack me up. Last 10 pages I've been giggling all the time. When someone actually praised the SS deluxe in the same sentence as this new ESB one I laughed. I had the SS Deluxe, its decent but the mask is absolutely horrible, especially compared to this.

I'll post a non biased review when I get mine, but I can already tell I'm gonna love this figure. Only gripe is the down facing tusks, anything else is by far more in people's heads then reality :vader

This thread is moving so fast.

Yeah, looks good from low angles. Better put Vader on the top shelf.

Low angle and sideways. but then again Rogue One looks good that way too

I was writing my cancelation email but couldn't bring myself to send it yet

This is the one pic I can find that I really likeLow angle.jpg

Is this the first Hot Toys release that took forever (its been out for like days) to get any form of video review ...

Not even one in 广东话 (Cantonese)

痴撚線 ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is where two seperate layers of cape is seen in the movie. It is interesting they can't nail the tusk angle why they can pay attention to these details.

vader 5.jpg

Of all the things I've seen people talk about with is the direction of the tusks might be the only thing that would bother me.

Everything else is manageable with some decent futzing and posing. The break in the top tusk bar won't be as noticeable when it's in hand and on-shelf. Thankfully Vader will be displayed higher up for me so the tusk angle probably won't be as much of an issue for me as it would for some.

For what it's worth, I did find that you could pop off the bars on the side of the RO head, as they slot neatly into little grooves. So it may be possible with this one as well.

It is there's a chunky wire that goes from the battery pack under the suit to the chestbox, the belt is very tight and with the wire going from the battery pack makes it very hard to move down, i have tried.
Yeah I doubt very much everything is locked in place. That is not the usual HT way. Besides, many pictures contradict that.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Back