1:6 Gimli Custom - How To Guide...

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:lol

Please dont. It was a monumental exercise in patience and fear, which I would choose not to live through again :lol I took solace in the fact if I ^^^^ed it up I could always send it away to be fixed, I dont think I would feel to good about ruining a freinds sculpt though :eek:

I must have had the sprirt of Tolkien flowing through me when I did Bilbo and Gimli. I felt confident in my miminal skills after I did these two so I tried painteing a couple spare heads I had laying aroud which ened in disaster :( I cant seem to get a skin tone to look decent, it either comes out all burnt orange or super pale, like a freakin vampire or something :rotfl

Any confidence I had after doing Bildo and Gimli has quickly gone away :monkey2

When I was trying to match the color of the Hobbit body with Bilbo's face, I started with Testor's flat tan, and kept adding flat white until I got a basic tan that was near identical to the body. Then I sparingly added a bit of light tan (which is actually a bit more pink) to reach that tiny hint of flesh tone, until it just "popped." I used the same method for Gimli but added considerably more light tan to get his unique color.

Question for all of your what type of glue is the best kind to get to put the figure halves back together.

Also how is the best way to get Toybiz soft Gimlis boots and hands off.

Hey Jason. Just your basic superglue or superglue gel works fine. Nothing fancy. As for the soft, nevermind it. You have a PM. ;)

P.S. Welcome aboard! :D

Last edited:
Hey Jason. Just your basic superglue or superglue gel works fine. Nothing fancy. As for the soft, nevermind it. You have a PM. ;)

P.S. Welcome aboard! :D

Okay will try and find some. It really hurt paying that for roto Gimli but I guess it is better than trying to get the other one to work.

What tool on dremel do I need to use to shape the upper arm armor out of.

You don't need a dremmel. I just had an exactlo knife. Boil the roto and it is soft as butter when you try to cut it.

I am such a retard, I was trying to do the body modifications today while I was out for a snow day and I sliced the side of my finger with an xacto knife while I was taking off the feet. The odd part is it didnt really hurt at all. I still need to cut the arms off and trim down the neck post. Should I heat up the neck post before doing this.

Also when will the last part of the custom guide be up?

Sorry guys that my fault. I took pictures of my removal of the shoulder armor but my wife deleted them by accident.

We have other pics though and I'll put something together tomorrow.

Ebay's probably your best bet right now. Do a search in the titles and descriptions for Ignite Hospitaller or check 7TOYS7's store. From what I can tell, there are no hauberks currently up for auction, although there are some full figures available.

Barring that, you could always contact Toy Anxiety and see what he's got available.

Did yall guys shave down the inside of Gimli boots and shoulder armor to fit on the DID figure.

Also did everyone cut the shirt to make it shorter after chopping the arms off. I am waiting on the chain mail to get here and I can actually finish making Gimli until I can get someone to repaint him. Does anyone have an suggestions on who would be willing to do that.

Did yall guys shave down the inside of Gimli boots and shoulder armor to fit on the DID figure.

Also did everyone cut the shirt to make it shorter after chopping the arms off. I am waiting on the chain mail to get here and I can actually finish making Gimli until I can get someone to repaint him. Does anyone have an suggestions on who would be willing to do that.

1) No. The boots don't need to be cut down at all (assuming you're using the roto). Just make sure you pull out the plug, snip the toes of the DiD body and then, with a good heat, they should slip right over.

2) The shoulder armor needs to have the upper shoulder area trimmed out (look at the completed Gimli on pg.1 of the thread for reference). As for the lower section (since Pix is lagging :p), you just cut straight into it from the inside to where it can be popped over the DiD arm and "cuff" it. The tension in the vinyl will hold it on Gimli's arms.

3) Don't worry about cutting the shirt. It'll add bulk under the armor once it comes in. You don't want a Gimli with skinny arms now, do ya? :lol

1) No. The boots don't need to be cut down at all (assuming you're using the roto). Just make sure you pull out the plug, snip the toes of the DiD body and then, with a good heat, they should slip right over.

2) The shoulder armor needs to have the upper shoulder area trimmed out (look at the completed Gimli on pg.1 of the thread for reference). As for the lower section (since Pix is lagging :p), you just cut straight into it from the inside to where it can be popped over the DiD arm and "cuff" it. The tension in the vinyl will hold it on Gimli's arms.

3) Don't worry about cutting the shirt. It'll add bulk under the armor once it comes in. You don't want a Gimli with skinny arms now, do ya? :lol

Alright thats what I was thinking about the shoulder armor. I got the top all shaped up now just got to go about making the bottom part fit over the arm.
All I need now is for the mail to be delivered and I can complete him.

Alright thats what I was thinking about the shoulder armor. I got the top all shaped up now just got to go about making the bottom part fit over the arm.
All I need now is for the mail to be delivered and I can complete him.

Again, don't cut anything out of the bottom part. Just cut into it, through to the middle from the inside. When you slide it over the arm, it'll hug it like a "C"

Back