1:6 Gimli Custom - How To Guide...

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it'd work out okay to use, but as pix pointed out, it'd take a fair amount of cutting. The thing I do not care for about the other mail is the brown stitched edge.

It's not stitching, it's actually leather. And although it's not "screen accurate," it actually matches the leather of the belt perfectly. To be perfectly honest, if you're shooting for an OCD accuracy, all you really need to do is clean off all the glitter from the DiD "mail" and paint it silver. As for the Ignite mail, again, I know it's not screen accurate, but it's one of those rare instances where I actually like it better as it's just another detail that ties the figure together that much more.

Are you gonna post some pics of Gimli EC? :date

Maaaybe.

Sorry I'm running behind. :eek: Unfortunately, it'll prolly be a couple more days before I can post pics of the cast, and they'll be much better than those blurry messes I posted earlier, but the good news is I'll be churning them out for sale, as well as the shoulder armor, as soon as the pics are up. :joy

I actually tweaked the beard a tiny bit more before the mold was made, only a few minor bits, but I'm happier with the flow and details now.

As for my over all Gimli custom, I'm doing a few more things to him and will get images up as soon as I can. Just not as fast as you guys on this one...

Well which is better is up to debate.

The soft is easier to find but the gloves and boots are a fraction larger than the roto ones.

IMGP22261.JPG

IMGP22251.JPG

Some people on here prefer the larger sized ones others not. Really its just a matter of personal preference.

I'm using the rotocast shoulder armor, which I've cast, the larger soft gauntlets, which I'm adding wrist articulation to, and if I had to pick, the soft boots, but I'm sculpting new ones from scratch, which I hope to offer casts of, using those as reference. I've yet to be thoroughly impressed by any of the mail I've seen; all have pros and cons.

I am using the soft and I think they work just fine. With everything on him Gimli is pretty bulky and the larger hands are not noticeable at all imo.

As for the feet I think the work fine too, like with the gauntlets.

They dont look too large to me. I also like to "bend" at the ankle because I can live Gimli a wide stance.

Last edited:
I have a small hole cut into the cloak and the axe through that and then into his belt.

Thnx Marc.

I also finished the "dry brushing" and "dark washing" that FaF told me about. I cant seem to take a good pick the picks up the detail, but it looks much better than the flat single coloredness I had before.

Before:
SANY2866.jpg

After:
SANY2904.jpg

You can see the subtle differences in the tones better in person. I wish I could take a pick the picks them up because I am pretty happy with how they turned out.

Dude I may just send my Bilbo and Gimli heads to you. :lol

:lol

Please dont. It was a monumental exercise in patience and fear, which I would choose not to live through again :lol I took solace in the fact if I ^^^^ed it up I could always send it away to be fixed, I dont think I would feel to good about ruining a freinds sculpt though :eek:

I must have had the sprirt of Tolkien flowing through me when I did Bilbo and Gimli. I felt confident in my miminal skills after I did these two so I tried painteing a couple spare heads I had laying aroud which ened in disaster :( I cant seem to get a skin tone to look decent, it either comes out all burnt orange or super pale, like a freakin vampire or something :rotfl

Any confidence I had after doing Bildo and Gimli has quickly gone away :monkey2

Question for all of your what type of glue is the best kind to get to put the figure halves back together.

Also how is the best way to get Toybiz soft Gimlis boots and hands off.

Back