1/6 DID D80169 MG42 Gunner Otto - 15. Aufklärungskompanie / SS-Panzergrenadier-Regiment 25 der 12. SS-Panzer-Division “Hitlerjugend”

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Herr Funk is here.

Sculpt is great, but I wish DID would stop with the sweaty satin finish. It doesn't show like that in hand but the flash finds it nevertheless. Maybe it's done to give life to the flesh when seen with the eye under normal lighting, but it's not beneficial when taking quick snaps.

IMG_1433.JPG

IMG_1434.JPG
IMG_1435.JPG

The star of the show for some will be the metal MG42. It's actually all metal, including the 'wooden' stock:

IMG_1436.JPG

IMG_1438.JPG

The barrel is packed separately for self-assembly through the hinged gate:

IMG_1437.JPG

That would be useful for posing the gunner or assistant in the process of changing the barrel. (The barrel changing mitt appears to be detachable from the tool pouch, though I haven't undone the pouch to confirm that).

IMG_1440.JPG
IMG_1441.JPG

The star of the show, the MG42, has turned out to be a diva.

I can't close the feed cover with the belt loaded. In DID's video it looks like they faked closing it. The belt wasn't loaded when they were putting the gun into Otto's hands at the end. :unsure:

The underside of the feed cover has realistic sculpted details, so the rounds would have to be aligned perfectly. After a while I got it to the point where it almost closes, but there's a millimetre of daylight visible under it. It can be pushed closed, though springs back up again.

IMG_1445.JPG
IMG_1446.JPG

The gap was there in the promo photos too, so it appears it was a general design flaw:

D80169 12th-SS-Panzer-Division-MG42-gunner-Otto-7.jpg

D80169 12th-SS-Panzer-Division-MG42-gunner-Otto-9.jpg

Apart from that Otto feels much more solid than the 20th Anniversary Axel.

This time the belt was already assembled with the pins located in the holes at the correct length to be worn. The moving parts on the MG42 are secure, apart from the slightly raised feed cover, unlike Axel's FG42 which had the loose magazine and bayonet which are liable to fall out. (His bayonet barely stays in).

Being all metal, however, it's heavy for him to hold, so I'm not sure whether to leave him like this:

IMG_1447.JPG
IMG_1448.JPG
IMG_1450.JPG
IMG_1451.JPG

The safer alternative:

IMG_1452.JPG
IMG_1453.JPG
IMG_1454.JPG
IMG_1456.JPG

That design flaw is crazy and extremely unfortunate. The overall figure came out looking really good. My favorite part of this figure is definitely the boots, the two textures on the upper and lower sections are very neat. I look forward to getting him and his assistant gunner whenever they hit US retailers.

My figures never venture outside. The most excitement they get is being moved around in the display as new themes evolve!

This shelf looks to be set as "HJ" themed for the foreseeable future. Same set up as before, but without the lens flare:

IMG_1564 HJ.JPG

Otto worked together with Klaus Schuh as a machine gun crew. According to the caption Klaus is next to Otto here:

469315-SS-Sturmmann-Otto-Funk.jpg

The one stood further back with the MG42 is the soldier DID used in their tease, who is said to be SS-Obergrenadier Günther Hamel:

466440-DID.jpg

Some on BBICN were expecting that to be part of a presumed upcoming accessory set.
Think thats Schul not Hamel....

There is a site that points out the MG guy is previously incorrectly identified as Hamel - and states it is in fact Schul. The group pic of this unit receiving their awards at the Abbey Ardenne seems to back up this statement - defo looking more like Schul than Hamel.

Back