1/6 B'omarr Monk

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a B'omarr update...

I just completed the claw/pincher arm thingy this evening.

Just like the body,I used what refferance material I had to establish the basic shape.I then just used a little imagination adding the detailing,thin strips of wood cut,glued,sanded...& cut,glued,sanded some more.Pretty much the same steps I went through while doing the body.A few brad tipped drill bits came in handy with some of the accents.
DSC00242.jpg

I used a small piece of a squared profiled,aluminum "U" channel as a connector(screwed to the body)& the arm...which is place inside the "U" & fastened with a small pin made from a nail.
DSC00244.jpg

DSC00245.jpg

Not sure what part to work on next.I want to finish up the legs but had a really cool idea to go about doing the bulb/bubble/butt that I'ld like to try out.

Last edited:
I started working on my idea for the abdomen this evening.

My idea was to make a frame of some sorts & cover it with a stretchy fabric.I made 2 hexagons out of 1/8" masonite & spaced them on a 3/4" dowel that will be the main center piece.I too drilled a hole in the body where it will be connected.The notch cut is to accept a nylon spacer(that is split) that will cover the excess fabric after it is covered.
DSC00262.jpg

2 small pieces of wood serving as spacers are glued beside the center hole where the dowel will be glued in place
DSC00263.jpg

I shaped smaller pieces of masonite & glued them in place around the dowel on the top,bottom,& between the hexagons.These will too create the ribs of the abdomen shape & establish the finished shape when the fabric in applied
DSC00264.jpg

This added a little more weight than I wanted but the rigidity will be there.I may try to drill holes in the masonite to see if it may lighten up some.
DSC00265.jpg

Here's what he looks like thus far...I'm hoping to work on him some more by the weekend
DSC00266.jpg

looks great. could you perhaps use a balsa wood for this instead of masonite. seems it would be lighter although maybe not as sturdy but how sturdy would it have to be? just a thought. :D

looking great as always. The abdomen is gonna look brill. If you are worried about the weight you could another approach. Make a wire frame and then cover it with layers of tissue paper and PVA glue, then while it is drying pop it in the oven and the tissue and PVA tighten up and give a skin like effect. I think it could be ace.

mark

looks great. could you perhaps use a balsa wood for this instead of masonite. seems it would be lighter although maybe not as sturdy but how sturdy would it have to be? just a thought. :D

I would go with basswood over balsawood. It's much more sturdy without a significant weight increase. 1/16th" or 1/8th" basswood would hold up really well for the size (depending on the circumference of the piece). Also way easier to cut than masonite. Had to use bass for a lot of models in architecture school - great stuff.

Thanks for the input guys.

Dorg-Useing wire was my original plan.My main concern was if it(the wire)got bent for whatever reason,I though that repairing it could potentially a major pain in the butt.

My initial intent for useing masonite was becuase it was convient...primarialy for the thickness.I was hoping to save a little time having to machine some material down.The weight issue was a slight bummer...but fixable.

Barryo-Going with wood does look like the better option....especially with the weight oversight.

Ultimate Weapon-You are absolutly right on the basswood.I've never used it to make anything structurally but have used it before.Every bit of the wood detailing on B'omarr's body is done with small strips of basswood I got from the craft store...the was no way I was going to attempt to cut pieces that small on a table saw.

So...

B'omarr abdomen,take 2:D

DSC00267.jpg

I removed the masonite ribbing as well as the wood spacers from the center of the body.They contributed to the weight as well & since the epoxy holding the hexagons had set,they served their purpose.
I then drilled large holes with a forstener bit in them to maybe aid in the weight loss...figured that it wouldn't hurt.
All of the smaller masonite pieces have now been replaced with wood.A little more rougher looking than the 1st try,which makes no difference being it will all be covered up,but defininatly lighter.
I wish I would have weighed it before & after just for grins to see how much of a difference it made.I'm guessing somewhere between 15-20%

Looks great.

I could see having to repair a bent wire frame after its finished being a nightmare:horror. Better safe than sorry.

WOW much love for this project. Your skills are that of Snow; you two should make a 1/6 Death Star. I bet you two could even make it fly and blow stuff-up.

Back