1/6 ANH Obi Wan - what if ...?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find it fascinating that two different artists can take a look at the exact same persona and approach it completely differently, and yet in the end both scultps evoke the likeness of the subject. Amazing work by both of you, Andy and Trevor.

pixletwin said:
Just out of curiosity Andy, are you allowed to sell recasts of your headsculpts or are they the property of Sideshow once you submit them?

No chance of selling recasts, the piece is indeed still the property of Sideshow Collectibles.

Thanks again for the very kind words everybody. :eek:

p.s. Trev, I love you. :monkey3

My thanks to both Andy and Trevor for their comments and more importantly for taking the time to look in !

I'm pleased that the guys who posted have been considerate towards both Andy and Trevor, it is especially easy ( too easy ) to say anything that could be misconstrued as being negative in text whereas if it was verbal would come out far differently.

My intent was to show " what could have been" in an "wow we could have had another awesome figure with this sculpt " and not a comparison between anyone's work. I'm glad it came out that way. :)

paulcarson said:
My thanks to both Andy and Trevor for their comments and more importantly for taking the time to look in !

I'm pleased that the guys who posted have been considerate towards both Andy and Trevor, it is especially easy ( too easy ) to say anything that could be misconstrued as being negative in text whereas if it was verbal would come out far differently.

My intent was to show " what could have been" in an "wow we could have had another awesome figure with this sculpt " and not a comparison between anyone's work. I'm glad it came out that way. :)

As I said earlier either sculpt would have made for a phenomenal finished product. I'm anxiously awaiting this pre-order/release.

DarthNeil said:
As I said earlier either sculpt would have made for a phenomenal finished product. I'm anxiously awaiting this pre-order/release.

Me too... My legs are shaking and my knees are weak... In fact, I can't seem to stand on my own two feet.

Both are amazing sculpts from 2 extremely talented artists so it's nice to know that this is a win-win situation for collectors. I'd be happy with either one and really, really, really happy if I could have both! :D

Both sculpts are beautiful. Andy's does look a little on the young side, but man, it makes me wish he was still with Sideshow.

I hope things are well over at DCD, Andy.

Both of these look like Obi-Wan. Just on different days of the week maybe. They're both fabulous. :bow

But seeing as it's Trev's that we'll be getting, let me say that I'll be very happy to buy this piece..... and not do a single thing to it. (and that doesn't happen often with me..... I'm annoying like that, I'm never happy with anything). But I'm happy with this, (and would have been with Andy's too)

Great pieces that we could only have dreamed about owning 5 years ago. And now we get to have stuff like this on our shelves! woohooo :D

I remember the Hasbro days when you would be really happy if it looked sort of like the character with monotone skin and stubby arms.

Well these aren't the Hasblo days anymore. Collector's expect better quality and more accurate likenesses than we have been given. Thought SS could meet the demands but sadly they get a big "Needs Improvement."

The only thing I remember about the Hasbro 12" days was seeing their figures and thinking they sucked. :monkey1

Andy Bergholtz said:
I was bummed to hear my sculpt wasn't going to be on the final figure but it's hard to get too upset when you see how perfect the current likeness turned out.

Interesting. I assumed that SS just assigned certain characters to certain sculptors and that was it. How many sculptors will take a crack at a given head sculpt before SS chooses which one to produce?

Khev said:
Interesting. I assumed that SS just assigned certain characters to certain sculptors and that was it..

That is indeed how it's done. My sculpt wasn't used because I accidentally sculpted it a fraction too small in scale, it was a bit dwarfed by the bulky robes on the figure. Unfortunately I left the company before getting a chance to re-do the portrait (a blessing in disguise as it turns out, considering Trev's masterpiece replacement).

That would be great if Sideshow showed a series of sculpts of the same subject by different artists and let the fans choose which one to run with.

Wouldn't that be nice?

pixletwin said:
That would be great if Sideshow showed a series of sculpts of the same subject by different artists and let the fans choose which one to run with.

Wouldn't that be nice?

That'd be ugly Pix and you know it, whoever didn't get the sculpt they chose would be in here verbally ripping out the throats of those who chose the winning one.

MaulFan said:
That'd be ugly Pix and you know it, whoever didn't get the sculpt they chose would be in here verbally ripping out the throats of those who chose the winning one.

Not to mention it would be a waste of production cost to intentionally commission head sculpts that would never be produced (a cost that would inevitably be reflected in the figure prices). But it would be fun to see, I admit. :)

Andy Bergholtz said:
Not to mention it would be a waste of production cost to intentionally commission head sculpts that would never be produced (a cost that would inevitably be reflected in the figure prices). But it would be fun to see, I admit. :)
Pix's idea is great. That would be fun to see but I definitely wouldn't want a huge cost increase because of it. It would be cool if they could go that route in a limited way, maybe for Con Exclusives only or something like that.

Back