1/6 ANH Obi Wan - what if ...?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love Andy's work, I really do but I'm glad that Trevor's sculpt is the one used. Andy's resembles Ewan a little too much and doesn't really give off the Alec vibe IMHO and while good it isn't the correct head for an ANH 1/6 Obi....

Yeah. I would say Andy's sculpt is a bit too idealised. Makes Obi-Wan too symetrical or something... He looks too perfect, I guess.

Just for kicks, I jumped into Photoshop and painted it just to see what it'd look like. Andy let me know if you have any problems with this.

ab_owk.jpg

Hey Maulfan, just for fun, why don't you add Ewan's moles to the forehead?

That would look creepy.

I just hope the production version looks like the prototype. That seems to be the biggest challenge.

Anzik Hayes said:
Hey Maulfan, just for fun, why don't you add Ewan's moles to the forehead?

That would look creepy.

Mole.....mole.....molely moley moley....my molestake, mistake.....nice to mole you, meet you....mole, bloody mole, we aren't supposed to talk about the bloody mole, but there's a bloody mole winking me in the face.....I want to cut it off, chop it off, and make guacamole....and I'm spent.

I have to say, I agree with some people, my first reaction to the front on view was "Ewan?". It almost seems like an Alec Ewan hybrid, and for anyone who watched the behind the scenes about Ewan for ROTS will know there are key areas in the face where they really match up, so it's easy for Ewan to be found in an Alec sculpt if a more youthful look is given. And I know it's a trait not many are fan of on Trev's sculpt, but the the ears on this one don't seem so Alec Guiness, Dumboish, and that dude deffinately had some flare to the tops of his ears, he was like a big elf :), but jokes aside, God rest his soul, and *tips my hat* here's to a great actor that is deffinately missed.

Trevor's is definitely the most Guiness-like. Andy's doesn't have the ears flanging out like on Trev's but I think that is one of the defining characteristics of his sculpt. Trev has more definition in the face that is characteristic of Alec's Kenobi. Have to go with Trevor hands down on this one.

Good effort by Andy though and nice to see what could have been. I had some problems with his Ewan Obi but overall it was a good sculpt. If Andy had done this figure I wouldn't have any problems with it as long as the factory paints matched those shown in the photoshopped image anyway.

They're both great sculpts and it's interesting to see another approach at the subject, but I personally think Trevor knocked this one out of the park.

Count me in amongst those who prefer Trev's sculpt. As some have already said, I think mine was a bit too young looking (among other things). His face is a bit too slender and pointy, it needs to be more puffy and aged a bit. Any resemblance to Ewan is purely accidental, although I believe I sculpted this portrait not long after sculpting the Ep. III Obi so maybe it happened subconsciously.

I was bummed to hear my sculpt wasn't going to be on the final figure but it's hard to get too upset when you see how perfect the current likeness turned out. Trevor is a better portrait sculptor than myself, hands down... He's going to be an asset to Sideshow's lineup for sure. :rock

I think Andy's portrait is beautiful, like all of his work! (he's the only reason I wanted to do portraits...I mean, look at his work, it's stunningly alive) Like I said elsewhere, I wish we could kind of combine the best qualities of our sculpts and see what we get.

my first attempt at guinness looks a bit more like Andy's work. maybe someday I can share that alongside with photos of the unpainted version you will be getting.

and SWEET color job maulfan. totally awesome!
Trev

Andy that is an awesome attitude and don't feel bummed because this is still an awesome sculpt. Like I said before, it would be VERY nice as a midway between Episode III and Episode IV. Glad you don't mind us having our bit of fun :lol

Just out of curiosity Andy, are you allowed to sell recasts of your headsculpts or are they the property of Sideshow once you submit them?

Andy, you and Trev are the best human portrait sculptors I've seen, both of you give your sculpts a life that is absent in some others work. Both of you give them that freaky "is it alive?" look, and I love that. We miss you at Sideshow, but best wishes to your new ventures, and always nice to see some of your work.

Back