Statue 1/4 New 52 Batman - Prime 1 Studios

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
800 just seems an awful lot when you can get the Hush Batman for 200 more.

1/2 scale pieces are priced at twice the price of 1/3 scale so it surprises there is such a small price drop from 1/3 to 1/4.

The price probably has to do with the added cost for partnership with Sideshow to produce 1/4th scale statues.

Sounds to me like Sideshow allows P1 to utilize their DC 1/4 license and in return they maybe get a piece of the money. They sure like taking the credit for the design, even though Prime 1's pieces always seem to completely blow away Sideshows.

I don't doubt P1 gets a slice of the revenue, and I mean I guess it must be enough for them to be content because they agree to do it. Maybe they take it as a relatively quick and easy way for them to make some money because they do the design and that's it, I don't know. They don't sell it, they don't manufacture it, and Sideshow gets to say it's a "Statue by Sideshow Collectibles."

Regardless it seems like a bit of an odd agreement. In some ways for both sides.

Easiest preorder decision I've made in a long time. Blows away any other 1/4 scale Batman piece and makes me shake my head even more at sideshow offerings.

They're on there yes, but you can't actually order them. They have a link to Sideshow to purchase.

They're on there yes, but you can't actually order them. They have a link to Sideshow to purchase.

Fn shady. Im quite sure Sideshow has nothing to do with these other than allowing and distributing them. Their "art direction" doesn't jive with P1s.

While I wish that P1 could straight up compete with Sideshow, as I believe competition is good for the consumer, there’s nothing really shady about Sideshow protecting the licenses they’ve paid for...it’s just business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t think I would say it’s “shady”....I mean P1 agrees to it.

I think they just see it as a way to make some relatively/quick easy money by being a design consultant on a statue someone else manufactures/distributes.

Now whether or not they SHOULD feel compelled to do something like that, I guess that’s a different story. Maybe they don’t see it as a competition scenario since they’re not able to make 1/4 statues on their own so they don’t care as much. I imagine if P1 had the DC 1/4 license, this collaboration wouldn’t happen.

Then you could talk about the perhaps somewhat surprise that Sideshow does it, since P1’s design version makes their own look pretty bad by comparison. But Sideshow probably figures most people aren’t even aware of/care about things like that because most of the people who buy it probably say they bought it from Sideshow and don’t even mention P1.

While I wish that P1 could straight up compete with Sideshow, as I believe competition is good for the consumer, there’s nothing really shady about Sideshow protecting the licenses they’ve paid for...it’s just business.

Technically no, youre right. When you couple Sideshows attitude with their business practice it can rub the wrong way.

Meanwhile, the RSVP email says "Prime 1 Studio's New Batman Statue is prowling through Gotham!"

Go figure.

Sideshow has the 1/4 DC and Marvel statue game on lockdown in North America. No company can release/distribute 1/4 Marvel or DC statues in NA without Sideshow's permission. It's as simple as that. They are in total control when it comes to 1/4 scale statues with the Marvel and DC licenses.

I think they just see it as a way to make some relatively/quick easy money by being a design consultant on a statue someone else manufactures/distributes.

Now whether or not they SHOULD feel compelled to do something like that, I guess that’s a different story. Maybe they don’t see it as a competition scenario since they’re not able to make 1/4 statues on their own so they don’t care as much. I imagine if P1 had the DC 1/4 license, this collaboration wouldn’t happen.

Then you could talk about the perhaps somewhat surprise that Sideshow does it, since P1’s design version makes their own look pretty bad by comparison. But Sideshow probably figures most people aren’t even aware of/care about things like that because most of the people who buy it probably say they bought it from Sideshow and don’t even mention P1.

Sure they agree but P1 doesn't have a choice. That's the point I think, SS sits on the license and makes Sideshowified versions or none at all of what the consumers ask for. Meanwhile P1 listens to fans and pumps out comic accurate versions. If P1 had the 1/4 license on lock, I don't think anyone but Sideshow would complain.

I wonder how much of the cost is Sideshow license tax on this piece. Like others have said for $200 more you can buy a 1/3 P1 statue, so I’d imagine there’s at least $100-200 of Sideshow profit on each one.

I wonder would Prime 1 use 1/4 as their default scale if SS didn't have that licence locked or do they prefer the 1/3 stuff anyway.

This is an amazing looking statue. Congrats to all getting him but I think having seen the price i'll spend the extra $200 to get the Hush Batman.

They make plenty of 1/4 scale stuff, it’s just in different licenses.

I tend to think if they had the ability to make 1/4 DC/Marvel items they would just make a lot less of things like Jurassic Park, The Witcher, Turtles, etc.

What's with the assumption that Prime 1 only designs and doesn't manufacture these?

I thought they did everything as per usual, except it was only distributed via Sideshow.

On the product page under "Manufacturer" it says Sideshow Collectibles. Combine that with not being able to buy it directly from P1 (This one isn't even on their website at all yet,) and I just don't think P1 is all that involved in these beyond design.

Who knows though, maybe they are the mass producer. I obviously don't know the details. Like I said before though I just don't really see what the big benefit is for P1 to even do it. They design (and go however far they go in manufacturing) but Sideshow gets to put their name all over it.

Back