1/3 Alien Big chap maquette - Coolprops

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's my review of the piece Pilky, not sure why you think you need to attack me personally for stating it, but it's exactly because of this kind of off-the-wall stupidity that I stopped stating anything on this forum. I was complementing both of the members I mentioned. The difference is, I gave a review on the statue, your review is of my review? Like I give a ****. The goal of my post was to let other potential buyers know that they should go into this very expensive purchase forewarned that the piece is not super-detailed. But don't worry Pilky, you won't have to worry about being offended by any of my future reviews, snowflake, as you quickly reminded me why I haven't bothered in forever.

And thank you for your response INFECDEAD. At least someone gets it.

I love how you say I attacked you personally then call me stupid. I said you came off as an edge-lord and a n a l-retentive, which you did. When you split hairs, to the extreme, that is the epitome of being a n a l-retentive/OCD. That’s reality. BTW, your “review” mentioned other reviews, so I am somehow wrong for responding to yours...mmmkay. You’re so butt hurt by response that now you threaten to take your toys and go home, but I’m the snowflake? Hilarious. /Thread over for me so you don’t have to throw a tantrum.

I don't know who decided that all aliens need a heavy black ring airbrushed around the base of the dome.

I can put an end to this very quickly, I visited the giver museum late last year and have seen the suit first hand, I've also seen the CP statue in person and can say that it is a truly accurate representation of the giver suit on display. I don't know where people are getting their opinions from regarding accuracy. The suit has a very flat look to it paint wise which CP replicated very well. The suit was also very detailed but not as much as I was expecting in real life, it was very subtle yet intricate. The lights in the museum give it a hint of brownish color but is definitely very flat black and drab in person. Fact of the matter is that is how the suit actually looks and CP have done a hands down amazing job bringing it to us. That's how it looks and that's how it is.

I think Fromhell nailed it. This is not a representation of what you see on film, its not a representation of what you think you saw on screen, it's not a representation of anything other then the Giger museum statue as it sits in the museum today. Its been 3d scanned so the "softness" of it is not an interpretation, it is what is in the museum. Complaining about the paintjob is just wishing this was something it is not. There is nothing wrong with wanting any of those but this is not that. If that's what you want then either wait for someone to do what you are looking for or buy this and paint it the way you wished it would be. Coolprops said they would make a Giger museum statue and they did that very well. Don't blame them for the paint or the "softness" blame Giger. Its his work, his softness, his paint pallet choice. Again, there is nothing wrong with wanting something different but to pretty much **** on this piece because its not what you wished they had made is just not right. They produced what they said and did it pretty well for a production piece.

3D scanning doesn't mean anything. In fact, 3D scanning is the reason the detail is soft. There is no way the museum let them take the suit anywhere, so more than likely they used a handheld 3d scanning device. Remember, this scan probably took place in 2014/15 and the technology isn't where it is today. And Coolprops (the same company that won't pay for a quality paint job on a production piece) certainly didn't pay for state-of-the-art portable 3D scanners. It is an inherent flaw in 3D scans NOT to pick up the minute detail, instead giving you the 'big picture', which Coolprops did. And that's all they did. They didn't go back in and hand-replicate the suit nuances. They took their base scan, pushed it out to print, and that's what we have. Like I said in the beginning.. all the forms and shapes are there, but 3D scans are the cause of the lack of detail, not the reason is it is 'an exact reproduction'.

Last edited:
Please illustrate it for us idiots where EXACTLY the softness is. Show us a picture of the detail you are talking about and where it isn't on the statue.

Id also like to hear your "expert" opinion of how Coolprops should have done it without sculpting it from scratch.

giger_alien.jpg

I don't know who decided that all aliens need a heavy black ring airbrushed around the base of the dome.

It's the usual technique of hiding/blending the transition point between the clear carapace and the skull portion of the head.

You made the same comment about the ADI A3 maquette,as if to make it seem like the ADI maquette was inaccurately painted in comparison to the P1.:cuckoo:

Here is part of the paint guide that Gino Acevedo (who did most of the creature paint work on A3) made describing the paint application,which I believe is for the dome of the A3 rod puppet. That black painted area around the edge of the dome is "also" part of the A3 paint design.

Dome.jpg

A little is ok but they are so heavy-handed, it looks stupid. And I still think the ADI maquette doesn't look right.

They did go quite heavy with that black stripe on these. Its too bad because its the hardest thing to correct. The 1:1 bust isn't that bad, its half the thickness of what they put on these.

I guess the best photo to describe what I've been saying is this one. If you think the best special effects artists in the industry made a spinal cord that looks like rubber nipples, that's your right to accept it.

Last edited:
Here's another one that, in person, looks very lackluster. The statue looks like a 'Digitial 3D scan' of the suit, and that's the problem I'm having with it.

Last edited:
Maybe a side by side with another statue will clarify it. (Right click and select 'View Image')

Last edited:
Back