Statue 1/1 Life-Size Figure - The Child - Sideshow Collectibles

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The absolute pettiness of these companies...anyways, safe to say HTs won’t drop theirs till 2022 tho

Yeah, I'm tired of waiting for two years for Hot Toys to release something. Glad they have some competition with some of these licenses. Would be good if they didn't have a monopoly on some of their other licenses.

Regarding the Hot Toys announcement, why would anyone want a 1/6 or 1/4 scale figure of a 15" character? 1/6 would be about 2.5", and 1/4 would be 3.75".

People who want to display the creature with the rest of the characters in those scales and people who can?t afford or don?t have space for a real size one.

More options, best for all.

Regarding the Hot Toys announcement, why would anyone want a 1/6 or 1/4 scale figure of a 15" character? 1/6 would be about 2.5", and 1/4 would be 3.75".

Because a life size Baby Yoda would eat a 1/6 Mandalorian like a frog...

Yeah the 1/4 was a bit puzzling at first, but I'm sure there are a lot of people who'd love a highly detailed 4 inch figure to display on their desks. And that one is more likely to come with the alternate portraits and accessories and be the most poseable. Since I can't see being able to do much with the tiny 1/6 version.

People who want to display the creature with the rest of the characters in those scales and people who can?t afford or don?t have space for a real size one.

More options, best for all.

I see both points. The funny thing is that the 1/6 and 1/4 scales are so small, you probably could pick up a Hasbro or other similar sized figure and MAYBE have it look similar at a fraction of the cost of a Hot Toys figure.

Something to keep in mind with Hot toys as well is that they never use authentic computer sculpts of the actual character as they sculpt their own which most of the time has likeness issues. So much of baby yodas cuteness comes from getting the proportions just right. It seems with this one they?ve used actual computer imagery of references from the actual puppet to achieve a perfect likeness. IMO hot toys has yet to capture a descent yoda likeness so I?m not expecting them to produce a likeness comparable to this one. With that said though if the production pieces look anywhere near this quality at this price I?d say they just revolutionized the industry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This statue is all about the head. Obviously given who did the prototype they've got the sculpt/likeness completely nailed, and that's half the battle. The success/failure this piece will hinge on how well they pull off the skin and eyes. If they can properly replicate the color and translucence of his skin and give us eyes that look anywhere close to as good as this prototype, I think they will have a winner on their hands. Like many others I PO'd it, and I hope they don't let us down...

Can u name a few pieces? Curious. Just looked up and they seem to have mostly done Alien/Xenomorphs?

Have no paint skills but the translucency/paint in the proto pics is an attraction for me, as noticed that on screen re Child in certain shots. Assuming they are using some sort of resin for the face - I know WETA seems to have gone that way for portraits on statues.

Pretty much any and all of the MCU Iron Man related suits, including 1/4 scale maquettes, life size busts and the 1/2 scales. The Mark 42 and Iron Patriot Maquettes and their respective life size busts were the worst produced statues that I have ever seen. There have been a couple of wins, but far more misses imo. Many of their other Iron Man statues the past 6 years were barely passable, though their most recent Mark 3 Maquette wasn’t half bad at all (though most of us kept on wondering how bad it was going to be, that when it finally arrived it was better than we hoped even with the issues with the mud effect).

Also keep in mind that they were also involved in Sideshow’s Baby Groot, and while I don’t believe the drop in quality was that severe (honestly for the $215 price I wasn’t being that picky) the piece just doesn’t compare at all to the Hot Toys piece. The only downside to the Hot Toys piece was the exposed joints (which were more or less well hidden except for the wrist joints), but when wearing the Ravager outfit it was a non issue.

Also most companies use some sort of translucent resins for the movie based portraits. From Prime 1, Iron Studios to a few others. The only one who isn’t has been Sideshow. But Sideshow has finally started to use material better suited to life like portraits such as PVC (not everyone’s cup of tea though) on a few Star Wars sculpts which haven’t been half bad. The Jyn Erso has to be one of their best ever.

Pretty much any and all of the MCU Iron Man related suits, including 1/4 scale maquettes, life size busts and the 1/2 scales. The Mark 42 and Iron Patriot Maquettes and their respective life size busts were the worst produced statues that I have ever seen. There have been a couple of wins, but far more misses imo. Many of their other Iron Man statues the past 6 years were barely passable, though their most recent Mark 3 Maquette wasn’t half bad at all (though most of us kept on wondering how bad it was going to be, that when it finally arrived it was better than we hoped even with the issues with the mud effect).

Also keep in mind that they were also involved in Sideshow’s Baby Groot, and while I don’t believe the drop in quality was that severe (honestly for the $215 price I wasn’t being that picky) the piece just doesn’t compare at all to the Hot Toys piece. The only downside to the Hot Toys piece was the exposed joints (which were more or less well hidden except for the wrist joints), but when wearing the Ravager outfit it was a non issue.

Also most companies use some sort of translucent resins for the movie based portraits. From Prime 1, Iron Studios to a few others. The only one who isn’t has been Sideshow. But Sideshow has finally started to use material better suited to life like portraits such as PVC (not everyone’s cup of tea though) on a few Star Wars sculpts which haven’t been half bad. The Jyn Erso has to be one of their best ever.

Thank you! will look at threads re these pieces. I am angsting a lot - and outside U.S. probably more expensive, but 350$+ OR going through returns is no fun. And IMO Scotpe is right - portrait is a thing here. Plus - fortunately/unfortunately - the eyes. This character has those huge luminous doe eyes. A high end piece needs to get that right (glass eyes for preference), as well as the delicate tints. I could source my own accessories if needed, later.

Don't SS usually show off their pieces before shipping anyway? They did with Mythos fett 1/6 so will be time to cancel if it's not good.

Don't SS usually show off their pieces before shipping anyway? They did with Mythos fett 1/6 so will be time to cancel if it's not good.

Yes, more often than not, they ‘eventually’ show production photos prior to shipping. So some if not most of us here who frequent forums and groups may be kept up to date, but I’m guessing the vast majority who order this come from outside our small circle and will just pay when the time comes around.

Thank you! will look at threads re these pieces. I am angsting a lot - and outside U.S. probably more expensive, but 350$+ OR going through returns is no fun. And IMO Scotpe is right - portrait is a thing here. Plus - fortunately/unfortunately - the eyes. This character has those huge luminous doe eyes. A high end piece needs to get that right (glass eyes for preference), as well as the delicate tints. I could source my own accessories if needed, later.

Going through returns is never fun (and honestly I rarely do returns as I’m usually the international sucker who accepts credits), but honestly because I’ve been preordering more than what is probably appropriate, including quite a few Prime 1 pieces and now a Queen Studios piece, $350 though not chump change is probably at the bottom of my concerns relative to my larger orders if something goes wrong.

Though honestly I find I have less issue with my lower priced items like with Hot Toys (almost zero out of 80 or so) than I do with my more expensive larger purchases...... though I guess I’m just a bit more thorough relative to the amount spent.

My guess is that the character will probably come loaded with accessories (probably the floating orb at minimum) and that there is a possibility that we?ll be getting a 1:4 scale Mandalorian too so he?ll be able to be displayed alone or in a pairing.

Not to mention that 1:4 would be the size of a Kenner figure which would work as a bit of display on the office desk at work.

My guess is that the character will probably come loaded with accessories (probably the floating orb at minimum) and that there is a possibility that we?ll be getting a 1:4 scale Mandalorian too so he?ll be able to be displayed alone or in a pairing.

Not to mention that 1:4 would be the size of a Kenner figure which would work as a bit of display on the office desk at work.

I'd expect the 1/6 version to come with a DX Beskar Mando or something.

Do people really take multi hundred $$$ collectibles into work and put them on their desk though? Wouldn't be me.

Going through returns is never fun (and honestly I rarely do returns as I?m usually the international sucker who accepts credits), but honestly because I?ve been preordering more than what is probably appropriate, including quite a few Prime 1 pieces and now a Queen Studios piece, $350 though not chump change is probably at the bottom of my concerns relative to my larger orders if something goes wrong.

Though honestly I find I have less issue with my lower priced items like with Hot Toys (almost zero out of 80 or so) than I do with my more expensive larger purchases...... though I guess I?m just a bit more thorough relative to the amount spent.

IMO a person who has their bills paid should spend their $$$ for their happiness - like I'm still relieved when I look at the IS 1/4 pieces I took the plunge (gorgeous:clap). Also if Mandalorian continues can't imagine the Child doesn't get a different look at some point. But IMO there's a lot to be said for getting the intro version of a character.

LOL am terrified Iron Studios is gonna release a 1/4 scale Mando and there's no way in *&^% I'd be able to resist, no matter the cost. $$$$. Or a 1/3 Mando. Or if they did a 1/4 Mando dio with Cara, Child, Mando, Kuill and IG.:drool Iron Studios goes big, too, design wise they seem fearless.:clap

The ones who got blindsided I think are the Etsy buyers. True that some customs can pass corporate work, but so far haven't seen any comparable "green alien baby":monkey3 that comes close to Sideshow's. But there was one that was selling for 500$ and there are others. Disney should've ignored Etsy.

Back