Statue 1/1 Life-Size Figure - The Child - Sideshow Collectibles

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But we don't know how long they have been developing this and whether or not production has already started!

In my opinion, a piece this large should always come within 90% of the prototype! It's not like a 1/6 Scale with really intricate details.

Doesn't really make sense. If the production piece doesn't look like the proto, sales will suffer. I see no reason in rushing the production, if anything they should capitalize on the preorders, stalling production.

Now, if you said they need to rush to cut ahead of Hot Toys, I'll be more inclined to join your reasoning.

Have you guys ever collected Sideshow pieces before, let alone any of their movie related pieces? Their history has certainly been hit and miss, and I’ve never seen them accomplish the kind of paint application that I saw on the prototype images, in that it almost looks like a form of translucent resin or silicon was used. And while their Legendary scale Yoda which I do have, came out very good, it is quite bland in comparison with regards to their respective paint apps.

Have you guys ever collected Sideshow pieces before, let alone any of their movie related pieces? Their history has certainly been hit and miss, and I’ve never seen them accomplish the kind of paint application that I saw on the prototype images, in that it almost looks like a form of translucent resin or silicon was used. And while their Legendary scale Yoda which I do have, came out very good, it is quite bland in comparison with regards to their respective paint apps.

Some stuff back in the day, 1/6 scale and most recently their Darth Maul 1/6 which I think turned out really well! Not prototype match, but still a really amazing looking figure.

This one I am nervous about though which is why I have yet to pre-order. The prototype looks so fantastic, but as I said, if this doesn't come within 90% of that then I think it's a pass from me as it will look cheap.

From SS's newsletter:

Hi!
This is Catherine from Sideshow and I wanted to personally thank you so much for purchasing The Child! I am here to provide you with all the latest details as we begin producing this incredibly popular character into a collectible you can happily share with all your Star Wars fan friends!
In this update we're happy to share all of the excitement that surrounded the announcement, some behind the scenes photos, and production updates to help with any questions you may have about when to expect The Child at your home.

SHIPPING UPDATE
Due to the incredible demand for The Child Life-Size Figure, and the handcrafted nature of this high-end collectible, Sideshow will be receiving our stock in split shipments. All pre-orders will be fulfilled in the order in which they were placed.
Please note that the estimated arrival window on our site has been updated to accommodate new orders for future stock, and does not affect pre-orders that have already been placed, or your place in that fulfillment queue.
You can view your pre-order confirmation details within your online account at sideshow.com – and this will show your personal fulfillment window for shipping.

As your item makes its way through production, we will keep you updated with the very latest and most accurate information. Then, approximately 5-7 business days ahead of the product’s arrival in our facility, we will send you an email with an arrival notice, processing date and final balance due.
Please stay tuned to our newsletter and social media channels for more ‘in production’ updates on The Child, as well as all of the latest pop culture collectible news.
Thanks again!
Catherine from Sideshow

EDIT: I ordered on January 30 and the ETA listed on my order is Aug 2020 - Oct 2020.

LwMBL1DUOer_s8rSDz2Q7pGBDVzWgUmVNds9yQqzObNW-822xZ_PDKC9kU7Ulwosezpg5vNGxKTa2x9Uk0kp_NfrY0dyJlXN.jpg

ODp6u5cyrBOSEp4y8LNi4HZNWAdEt0uxZ71gH5vsdFvPUS_mElNwJSsOYPXJybmyR1aASguUlRpqz99gaHmEFURJeT0pzB1N.jpg

I got the email too, Sideshow seems to be approaching this release a bit more seriously than usual. Hopefully that means they will be getting it as close to that proto as possible. Interesting that they went out of their way to say that this will ship out in batches, and that they will ship in the order received. I ordered within the hour it went up so hopefully it ships as originally scheduled.

Some stuff back in the day, 1/6 scale and most recently their Darth Maul 1/6 which I think turned out really well! Not prototype match, but still a really amazing looking figure.

This one I am nervous about though which is why I have yet to pre-order. The prototype looks so fantastic, but as I said, if this doesn't come within 90% of that then I think it's a pass from me as it will look cheap.

It’s rare for one of their movie related pieces to come anywhere close to 90% of the prototype. Closer to 70-80% imo, but it’s subjective. And anyway considering what they’re charging for this, it is ‘relatively cheap’.

I got the email too, Sideshow seems to be approaching this release a bit more seriously than usual. Hopefully that means they will be getting it as close to that proto as possible. Interesting that they went out of their way to say that this will ship out in batches, and that they will ship in the order received. I ordered within the hour it went up so hopefully it ships as originally scheduled.

Yep, I think this will only be the case for those who ordered directly with Sideshow. But unfortunately as someone who ordered locally to potentially save some money, I’m probably going to be receiving one of the later batches, even though I ordered in the first few hours as this was available pretty much simultaneously on Popcultcha’s website.

Good thing this isn’t Sideshow who’s making this. This should come out very close to Proto then. Stoked.

Since when? It’s a Sideshow product. Unless you’re referring to the Legacy branding..... which usually means nothing when it comes to production quality..... Or rather it wasn’t always the best sign in most cases where one was developed ‘in partnership’ with Legacy Effects, as those prototypes have been simply stunning, but the production pieces in most cases were a different story.

Just look at all those MCU Iron Man pieces. Most were a mess. Even the Mark 3 which I have and like, falls short of the prototype, but overall it’s still a good looking piece, but the pieces preceding that were really bad, like the Mark 43 Maquette, Iron Patriot Maquette, and the Mark 43 Life Size bust was terrible, and all had the Legacy Effect branding.

Legacy has nothing to do with the production run. It?s a partnership to design the piece. Once it get?s to mass production Sideshow is responsible for the retail product?s QA.

Since when? It’s a Sideshow product. Unless you’re referring to the Legacy branding..... which probably means nothing in this case, and every other case where one was developed ‘in partnership’ with Legacy Effects.

I believe he's referring to this sentence in SS's newsletter: "Sideshow will be receiving our stock in split shipments.". I noticed that too. Of course this could mean a lot of things, it's quite obvious SS doesn't make the entirety of their products in their offices.

It could mean that the molds come from China or wherever, or that they come from Legacy Effects, and then that SS will take care of painting and assembling or it could be whatever in between.

I believe he's referring to this sentence in SS's newsletter: "Sideshow will be receiving our stock in split shipments.". I noticed that too. Of course this could mean a lot of things, it's quite obvious SS doesn't make the entirety of their products in their offices.

It could mean that the molds come from China or wherever, or that they come from Legacy Effects, and then that SS will take care of painting and assembling or it could be whatever in between.

Do you collect many Sideshow products?

Sideshow doesn’t make anything other than prototypes in their office. I believe the factory creates the main molds (based on whatever is given to them of course) and are the ones who decide how they’re usually going to produce it, from top to bottom. And they then ship out the boxed up item to Sideshow to ship out to customers. This is how most of the pieces are made by the main ‘manufacturers’, or really for any collectable nowadays.

Sometimes Sideshow has no idea how a piece will be produced until the factory gives it a go, like their Rogue Statue, in which case they flat out admitted they had no idea how it was going to be produced with regards to structural support when the piece went up for preorder.

Sideshow is pretty much a design/art house only.

Legacy I believe are only involved in the design phase. After that it’s between Sideshow and the factory they utilise.

The volume of sales must be insane. My thoughts on that email are that they are trying to educate people outside of the statue collecting community about the things we are all used to so they don?t get thousands of questions and cancellations when it is inevitably delayed or when in-hand photos start popping up. It?s a smart idea. It would be nice to get updates on non-child orders as well!

The volume of sales must be insane. My thoughts on that email are that they are trying to educate people outside of the statue collecting community about the things we are all used to so they don?t get thousands of questions and cancellations when it is inevitably delayed or when in-hand photos start popping up. It?s a smart idea. It would be nice to get updates on non-child orders as well!

Agree. I personally think the edition size for this collectible is at least 10,000 (maybe more).

Agree. I personally think the edition size for this collectible is at least 10,000 (maybe more).

The edition size will be fun to speculate on. I was thinking 5,000 but you are probably right. Maybe they will not say if it gets too high? Sideshow hit a home run with this one. I hope the quality is there but at this price point I have my doubts. Not enough doubts not to order it though!

It?s rare for one of their movie related pieces to come anywhere close to 90% of the prototype. Closer to 70-80% imo, but it?s subjective. And anyway considering what they?re charging for this, it is ?relatively cheap?.

I disagree, $350 is A LOT of money to spend on something if it turns out to be a pile of ****!
We're not talking Hasbro Toys here. 70% accurate to the prototype at these prices is not acceptable in my opinion.

I think Sideshow might put some extra effort into The Child and it will come out very close to the proto. This is a very high profile piece that has gotten a lot of attention in the media beyond the normal collector circles. I don't think SSC wants a dud with this one.

It’s rare for one of their movie related pieces to come anywhere close to 90% of the prototype. Closer to 70-80% imo, but it’s subjective. And anyway considering what they’re charging for this, it is ‘relatively cheap’.

I disagree, $350 is A LOT of money to spend on something if it turns out to be a pile of ****!
We're not talking Hasbro Toys here. 70% accurate to the prototype at these prices is not acceptable in my opinion.

I guess I’m just getting jaded from spending significantly more on Prime 1 pieces and now Queen Studio pieces (well only one of the latter), and I’ve been burnt from Sideshow’s movie line so many times it just won’t surprise me if this doesn’t meet the quality of the prototype.

But I can see from a 1/6 figure collector’s perspective why $350 is a lot of money for a piece not to hit 90% or more on the quality of the prototype, especially when production pieces from Hot Toys are often released fairly close to prototype quality (I still buy a handful a year, even though I’m primarily a statue collector now). But once you move into the statue game (in particular Sideshow), the success rate of prototype to production are far lower than what is achieved by Hot Toys in relation to movie pieces imo. So much so, that a lot of Statue collectors in general have completely stopped preordering pieces until production pieces are shown.

To me $350 for a life size replica is dirt cheap, especially if they even come close to what we’re seeing on the promo photos. They could’ve charged way more if they had wanted, and I would’ve be willing to spend a hell lot more on it if quality was assured and I was totally shocked (pleasantly) by the price; as were many other Statue collectors (but not so much from the figure collectors). But I’m guessing they’re going for high turnover to make up for the difference.

But I doubt it’ll be a pile of ****........... but then again that’s what a few of us (not me) were saying prior to them releasing their movie Wonder Woman piece. And now you couldn’t pay me to house a production piece of that in my collection, but their recent release of their Momoa Aquaman has been fairly impressive.

(And note I pretty much only collect movie pieces, except for a few exceptions each year, but I’ve pretty much stopped preordering Sideshows movie pieces unless they’re non-human, robots, helmeted or masked).

The rumor mill has the Edition Size north of 20,000 units so far...

Given Baby Yoda's popularity, I doubt he will be written out of the show anytime soon...

The rumor mill has the Edition Size north of 20,000 units so far...

Given Baby Yoda's popularity, I doubt he will be written out of the show anytime soon...

Yeah, it seems likely the little guy will be around for a while. I don't much care about the edition size as I assumed it was going to be very high and resell on these will be under retail. I probably should've waited for a deal down the road, but really want this little guy to join my lifesize Yoda...

Back