“Fallout” television series

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know next to nothing about Fallout, but my son played the games and has a pitboy in his closet (some kind of plastic promo from a few years ago that he got when he was in high school). At any rate the series is quite good, art direction is fantastic, sets are great, the creature designs are excellent, and the effects are seamless.

Regarding the performances, Goggins is the VIP standout. He usually plays somewhat weaseley characters, but here he gets to be a real badass, and 100% delivers. Michael Emerson, who plays the scientist from the Enclave, is always good. Kyle MacLachlan is perfectly cast. And nice to see Leslie Uggams back in another role. Also a special callouts to the actress who played Ma June, the two guys at the Supermarket (no spoilers), and the elixir peddler for making the most of their one or two scenes.

As for Lucy and Maximus. I thought they both actors did solid work based on direction. Both are products of their upbringing. Lucy is naive and trusting, well educated, but with a world view limited to Vault 33 society. She isn’t at all prepared for the realities of the surface world. Sure she has plot armor, but thankfully she isn’t a Mary Sue. The character is just getting started. I imagine she’ll have quite an arc over the next 2 seasons.

Initially I was a bit annoyed with how Maximus was characterized, as I was assuming the Brotherhood of Steel would be these trained and disciplined Spartan-like heroes. He was set up as a smiling doofus who fell ass backward into the armor. However, Maximus, along with the other “lost boys/war orphans” were basically expendable rabble thrown in together to do the lowest of the low tasks (Thaddeus was previously a “s#itter” ). Sure, they were getting a basic education, but it was an indoctrination into (religion-tinged) Brotherhood beliefs. Topics like sex were likely taboo, so the boys probably made up things among themselves. At the squire rank they were little more than pack mules—branded, abused and expendable. However, even the knights were revealed to be little more under their armor. Like everything in the Fallout world, knowledge and power seems to be reserved for those at the top. It will be interesting to see how the character’s arc plays out (and if the actor is up for it) now that he’s been set up for the next arc. If I were the director I’d have him going hard in the gym 6 days a week, Ranger style boot camp, and fight training. Not that the actor is out of shape, he isn’t, but I think there should be a marked physical and attitudinal change as he will likely mature into a different kind of knight and leader.

I believe the series has already been renewed for a second season. If not it’s become #2 on my list of hoped for renewals behind “3 Body Problem”
I don’t think there’s been any official renewal announcement yet but I did read somewhere that they already had the filming permits or something.

I have one episode left, but I enjoy the series and look forward to season two.

I played Fallout Shelter on my phone, and loved the concept, but I have issues dedicating myself to the time it takes to play console games. I always get pretty far into it, stop playing, and when I come back I suck and cant do what I need to to advance. The show makes me want to get into the games, but with my issues stated I know I wont so...sadness.

With 3 Body Problem, Fallout and (by the sounds of it) Civil War, it seems that tv and movie entertainment may finally be beginning to leave the "message" filled, lazily written, poorly adapted and divisive phase of the past decade or so. I look forward to seeing what else comes along in this (hopefully) new entertainment renaissance

I don’t think there’s been any official renewal announcement yet but I did read somewhere that they already had the filming permits or something.
I say treat the games like daily TV consumption. Set aside an hour or two per day to do a single level/quest then close it for the day. You won't burn out from too much, it is easier to allocate an hour per day and since it will be a daily habit you won't quit halfway and come back after several months.

The problem with Halo is that they didn’t want it to be canon so that they didn’t have to be authentic. The showrunners purposefully avoided the games. Whereas the Fallout show creators are fans of the games.
Honestly screw halo. Video game adaptations are changing and becoming better and more accurate to the source material. **** that guy who doesn’t want to put his helmet on cause he doesn’t think people would recognize him and screw the show runners who say that the they don’t care about the source. Once you say that the property is DOA. So yea **** that dumbass show

Honestly screw halo. Video game adaptations are changing and becoming better and more accurate to the source material. **** that guy who doesn’t want to put his helmet on cause he doesn’t think people would recognize him and screw the show runners who say that the they don’t care about the source. Once you say that the property is DOA. So yea **** that dumbass show
Exactly! Halo creators are freaking idiots. Such a shame we missed out on Blomkamps Halo movie due to studio bickering over money. That would have been an amazing movie.

Thing is, the games are popular with general gaming audience for a reason. If you change it you are fixing what isn't broken and alienating a massive built in audience in favour of one that either isn't there or isn't loyal. How Hollywood is unable to wrap their minds around such a simple concept is truly baffling. Make fans happy you make general audience happy. The winning formula is already there, use it!

I finished the first season, it's not perfect but I can't wait to see what happens next.

Exactly! Halo creators are freaking idiots. Such a shame we missed out on Blomkamps Halo movie due to studio bickering over money. That would have been an amazing movie.

Thing is, the games are popular with general gaming audience for a reason. If you change it you are fixing what isn't broken and alienating a massive built in audience in favour of one that either isn't there or isn't loyal. How Hollywood is unable to wrap their minds around such a simple concept is truly baffling. Make fans happy you make general audience happy. The winning formula is already there, use it!
Pretty much yea! Sonic did it and look how that turned out. To just say screw the fanbase never worked out and constantly hiring people that don’t like or care about the source material is the dumbest thing ever. That means they’ll be no passion behind it. But halo has been in a huge slump since bungee left so I’m not surprised they opted out for this crap rendition of the story. Just goes to show 343 don’t know how to handle the brand

With 3 Body Problem, Fallout and (by the sounds of it) Civil War, it seems that tv and movie entertainment may finally be beginning to leave the "message" filled, lazily written, poorly adapted and divisive phase of the past decade or so. I look forward to seeing what else comes along in this (hopefully) new entertainment renaissance
Messages are still there. It’s just better written.

Had a chance to finally watch the rest of the episodes and can say that while I enjoyed the show there were many issues.

Main problem is the overly convenient writing (characters always somehow manage to walk into each other at just the right time somehow) and the dialogue choices (especially with Titus insulting Max while desperately needing his help etc).

While nowhere near as in your face as usual there was some of "the message" in it but was tolerable. I disliked the Brotherhood of Steel's depiction in the show and groaned at the villain suddenly being a misunderstood hero as usual despite the many obviously evil things done. Overall very entertaining show but seriously lacking in any logic.

Also: how many times did we need to see the same scene of kid climbing out of fridge Indiana Jones style. Must have been like 5 times the same same scene was shown

Had a chance to finally watch the rest of the episodes and can say that while I enjoyed the show there were many issues.

Main problem is the overly convenient writing (characters always somehow manage to walk into each other at just the right time somehow) and the dialogue choices (especially with Titus insulting Max while desperately needing his help etc).
It was fitting pathetic for the character, and the piece of **** actor.
While nowhere near as in your face as usual there was some of "the message" in it but was tolerable.
What “message” was there?
I disliked the Brotherhood of Steel's depiction in the show
This is just one chapter, the chapters in every game are all different tko.
and groaned at the villain suddenly being a misunderstood hero as usual despite the many obviously evil things done. Overall very entertaining show but seriously lacking in any logic.
I wouldn’t go as far as to call her a hero. Just like New Vegas and Fallout 4 there are no “heroes”, every faction has their own points and believe they are justified in their actions.
Also: how many times did we need to see the same scene of kid climbing out of fridge Indiana Jones style. Must have been like 5 times the same same scene was shown
10 more times.

I ........ groaned at the villain suddenly being a misunderstood hero as usual despite the many obviously evil things done.
Yeah I wondered about that. Are we now supposed to think that the complete barbarism they displayed in the Vault was in some way justified? Why were they so vicious? Why was the 'husband' going to kill Lucy, did the leader woman authorize that?

Yeah I wondered about that. Are we now supposed to think that the complete barbarism they displayed in the Vault was in some way justified?
Grey area. In her eyes Vault Tec are the villains anyway. Doesn’t have to be good or evil.
Why were they so vicious? Why was the 'husband' going to kill Lucy, did the leader woman authorize that?
She hired raiders for that, the NCR’s numbers are extremely depleted at this point and the faction appears to be completely fractured.

One of the problems of the show is that the main characters cross paths and cross paths again very easily, in what is supposed to be a huge world, and the final revelations fall a little flat, it's not very moving,
The strong point is the casting, it's hard not to be under Lucy's charm.

Last edited:
The show was cool for how faithful it was to the aesthetic, but I'm somewhat frustrated by the plotline. This was not "Season 1", this was like that thing that was common a few years ago, how they'd break up final seasons into two parts to keep interest high.

Why they plotted these first six episodes the way they did without knowing if they'd be picked up is pretty lame. I was reading that it will be another two years before the next season. I understand the concept of 'always leave them wanting more' but my attention span is low. I'm not going to remember what happened in two years.

There's something wrong in the way entertainment is created and consumed these days. Movies, TV, video games, all of it, takes even more money to create, takes even more time to create, yet is enjoyed and appreciated for less time until the next thing comes along.

Back