Flash-Fiction Winners to be announced this week. Good luck to all!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of the Sideshow folks confirmed during Toy Fair that the winners would be announced later during the week of the 20th, and not on Monday. They haven't given us an exact day or time, but I am expecting the winners to be announced Thursday night with the release of the newsletter. It will be a cool surprise if they announce them sooner. Good luck to everybody who entered!

Here's hoping that all of the winners will be board members, so we can have a huge celebration/congratulation thread and share in their victory with them.

gonzo said:
Finger crossed! :joy

How do you cross one finger?

tomandshell said:
One of the Sideshow folks confirmed during Toy Fair that the winners would be announced later during the week of the 20th, and not on Monday. They haven't given us an exact day or time, but I am expecting the winners to be announced Thursday night with the release of the newsletter.

That makes a lot of sence.

Thanks for coming up with the info. If you hadn't, there'd have been a lot of nervous refreshing of the Sideshow home page all week long.

Okay, I'm game....

YOU DON'T MESS WITH A MAN'S REMOTE

"Why are you taking the cappuccino machine into the men's room?" asked McHenry from his perch near the door.

"Because I missed the Exclusive Luke last month," Neil said explaining everything.

"What," McHenry asked, "are you talking about?"

"From Sideshow Collectibles... The pre-order... Remember?" He coaxed. "Remember? I went the whole day thinking it was Thursday and when I changed the TV and heard it was Friday I screamed because I missed out on the per-order?"

"You threw the remote," said McHenry. "You scared the customers and now the remote doesn't work."

"You remember."

"I remember you broke the remote."

"So I asked myself how can I get that Exclusive Skiff Blaster accessory and eureka!"

"I have to use the VCR remote. Do you know why I hate using the VCR remote?" McHenry asked accusingly.

Without looking up from his laptop the struggling screenwriter supplied, "Doesn't have a channel guide button."

"That‘s right."

"So I've built a time machine in the men’s room so I can go back in time and secure the Exclusive," Neil plowed on ignoring his boss.

"Let's not gloss over this whole broken remote thing.”

"I am moments away from stepping into the men's room and treating the space-time continuum like my own personal urinal. Is a little decorum too much to ask?” Neil implored. “Thank you."

McHenry and the struggling screenwriter exchanged a look before each returned to their work. The sun had come out from behind the tree and McHenry shifted his position to avoid it.

"I did it," Neil said, returning. "I traveled in time."

"That's great. Now the remote should work," reasoned McHenry.

Neil broke it to him, "All I did was place the order Friday morning while the other-me was in the shower.”

"Why didn't you tell the other-you not to break the remote?" demanded McHenry.

"I didn't want to create a paradox."

Disappointed, McHenry sighed and returned to his paperwork.

"Alright, fine!" Neil said. "I'll see what I can do." When he emerged from the men's room again he was exhausted. "Check the VCR remote," he panted before collapsing in a chair. "I went back to the factory and had them add a channel guide button."

"Well, look at that," McHenry said. "And so small. No wonder I overlooked it."

"No. You didn't overlook it, okay? I talked the designer into putting it in just for you.”

“Whatever.”

“I went back in time and all you can say is whatever?!"

“Neil, you go in the men’s room and say you’ve done it but, I mean, where’s the proof? Now if you could go back to, say, 1958 and, I don’t know, have that tree over there planted four-feet this way, well then maybe that would prove something."

Neil’s nostrils flared. "Fine!" he said and stormed into the men's room.

"You're just screwing with him aren't you?" asked the struggling screenwriter.

"You don't mess with a man's remote," McHenry said.

I'm game too... I went the "tear jerker" route..

Sideshow Collectables Blackbeard the Pirate. Every time I see at that figure I think about Jimmy.

It was the first day of 6th grade. I didn’t have many friends, and at that moment I didn’t really want any. This would be a time of many firsts, but the most important would be the first day of school without my best friend Jimmy. We were supposed to go to the arcade together on Sunday. Jimmy was so excited, but I had a headache and decided not to go, so I told him I would see him at school on Monday. Jimmy went by himself... but he never made it.

I arrived at school that Monday morning, but I have no idea how. All I could think about was Jimmy and how I had brushed him off the day before. Maybe I could have seen the car before he did, maybe I could have saved him, maybe I could have at least said goodbye. They had counselors at school that week, Jimmy had a lot of friends, and talking it out with them did help a little but not enough.

We had been friends all our lives. We lived a few houses from each other and were always together playing football, riding bikes, collecting baseball cards, playing videogames and everything else two young boys do. We spent the night at each others house every weekend and even went on family trips with each other. Officially we were both only children but in reality we weren’t, we had each other, we were brothers.

I made it though the first few days of school ok, and even composed myself enough to make it to the funeral. I didn’t want to go, of course how many people actually do, but I had to say goodbye to my friend. At the funeral I noticed Jimmy’s Blackbeard figure next to his casket and I just had to smile. Jimmy loved pirates and always pretended he was one. I think the poor kid was born about 200 years too late.

Once everything settled down I went to visit Jimmy’s mom to see how she was doing and see if there was anything I could do for her. We talked for hours about Jimmy and how he taught me how to ride a bike and how to make the perfect mud ball. It was getting late and as I was about to leave she went to his bedroom to get something, and came back with Jimmy’s Blackbeard figure. “I want you to have this” she said, “I know how much Jimmy loved it and I am sure he would want you to have it. And, I want you to have it as a reminder of all the wonderful times you two had.” I tried to refuse but she insisted. Now that figure stands proud on my shelf as a wonderful reminder of a great kid, a great person and a true friend

I think that once the winners are announced, we should all post our entries in a "Non-Winner" thread so we can enjoy each others' stories without the need to rank or evaluate them--just enjoy them for what they are.

madden821 said:
I'm game too... I went the "tear jerker" route..

Sideshow Collectables Blackbeard the Pirate. Every time I see at that figure I think about Jimmy.

It was the first day of 6th grade. I didn’t have many friends, and at that moment I didn’t really want any. This would be a time of many firsts, but the most important would be the first day of school without my best friend Jimmy. We were supposed to go to the arcade together on Sunday. Jimmy was so excited, but I had a headache and decided not to go, so I told him I would see him at school on Monday. Jimmy went by himself... but he never made it.

I arrived at school that Monday morning, but I have no idea how. All I could think about was Jimmy and how I had brushed him off the day before. Maybe I could have seen the car before he did, maybe I could have saved him, maybe I could have at least said goodbye. They had counselors at school that week, Jimmy had a lot of friends, and talking it out with them did help a little but not enough.

We had been friends all our lives. We lived a few houses from each other and were always together playing football, riding bikes, collecting baseball cards, playing videogames and everything else two young boys do. We spent the night at each others house every weekend and even went on family trips with each other. Officially we were both only children but in reality we weren’t, we had each other, we were brothers.

I made it though the first few days of school ok, and even composed myself enough to make it to the funeral. I didn’t want to go, of course how many people actually do, but I had to say goodbye to my friend. At the funeral I noticed Jimmy’s Blackbeard figure next to his casket and I just had to smile. Jimmy loved pirates and always pretended he was one. I think the poor kid was born about 200 years too late.

Once everything settled down I went to visit Jimmy’s mom to see how she was doing and see if there was anything I could do for her. We talked for hours about Jimmy and how he taught me how to ride a bike and how to make the perfect mud ball. It was getting late and as I was about to leave she went to his bedroom to get something, and came back with Jimmy’s Blackbeard figure. “I want you to have this” she said, “I know how much Jimmy loved it and I am sure he would want you to have it. And, I want you to have it as a reminder of all the wonderful times you two had.” I tried to refuse but she insisted. Now that figure stands proud on my shelf as a wonderful reminder of a great kid, a great person and a true friend

:crying :crying :crying

tomandshell said:
I think that once the winners are announced, we should all post our entries in a "Non-Winner" thread so we can enjoy each others' stories without the need to rank or evaluate them--just enjoy them for what they are.

Great I dea tom,,,that has me more excited than actually reading the winning entries!:banana

The non-winners thread is a great idea. This was a great contest. I actually wrote mine in a couple of hours once the contest was announced. Win or lose it was fun.

tomandshell said:

Well if people want to wait, that's fine. But if anyone is itching to share, I'd be happy to see them posted here. I think people on this board will be supportive enough to respect everyone's submission. But as soon as someone "fan corrects" one of the posts, I'm out. LOL

But if people want to wait 'till Friday to read them, that's cool, too. :r2d2line

Back