Need a crash course on BESTA...

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FQRizzo

Super Freak
Reaction score
So we're redoing our bedroom and I want to spring for some new shelves for my PFs. My main concern is that I want to have everything behind glass or out of the reach of my daughter. I realize some of the oversized PFs I own will have to be put on top. I've looked at Bestas before at the Ikea store, but with all of the different customizing options, it's a bit overwhelming. Right now I'd like to be able to accomidate:

Hulk PF
Thing PF
Classic IM Commiquette
Thor PF
Indy PF
Leonidas PF
Bowen Retro Hulk
Bowen Red Hulk
Bowen Hulkbuster
Bowen Destroyer

and probably more PFs and Bowen Hulks this year.

Mostly I am curious about what I need to know before I go back to Ikea this weekend. If you could fill me in on the process of customizing these and give me some ideas about what has worked for you, I'd appeciate it greatly.

Love,

FQRizzo

(Mods...if there is a better place for this, please feel free to move)

crash.jpg

Quick and crappy iPhone picture. I still need to get some lighting for these units which is key. :lecture

bestav.jpg

So do you buy the "cubes" individually? Are they connected? Did you buy the glass doors from Ikea (When I was there I only saw the doors with the larger "frame" around the edge)?

Mine is the bookcase that comes with 8 adjustable shelves. With my configuration, I use 4 shelves. I have them where the 6 doors meet, so it ends up looking like cubes.

Here's a picture of bonedaddy's collection. The Bestas on the right are the same type of configuration I have, except he has an additional single case next to the double. He also has the shelves placed where the doors are. I saw his photos on this board and that helped me make my decision to buy these.

2804090389_7a5b4fa3a1_b.jpg

The doors add quite a bit to the cost, but they'll keep the dust out. They're pretty heavy, so they feel like they're worth the $50.

I have the same setup as Darth and I have photos somewhere around here. Lights are key! I don't have mine yet but I desperately need them because they make it look so much nicer.

Based on the measurements I don't think the Hulk PF will fit in a Besta, but should work if placed on top of one

Much appreciated, DW. Are those glass doors really $50 /piece? :google

The doors add quite a bit to the cost, but they'll keep the dust out. They're pretty heavy, so they feel like they're worth the $50.

Definitely get the doors but they are a pain in the ass to get all lined up.

Yeah, doors are the whole reason I'm doing this. Need to keep my stuff away from "grabby" little fingers. :lol

I just bought a Besta and I used it to figure out how many I need to fit all my stuff in there. They are great, but I wish they were wider than 24". You shouldn't have any problem accommodating all you stuff. I have most of mine displayed in pairs: Maul and Dooku, Anankin and Vader, Han Luke and Leia (ANH), Iron Man first comiquette and Captain America, Spider-Man and Batman...

Love you display Waller. I was looking at the long narrow doors that you need side by side, but I'm going to look into those square ones. Looks like they may look nicer.

Definitely get the doors but they are a pain in the ass to get all lined up.

I went ape_____ trying to get those lined up and they're still not perfect, but they look good enough. :eek:

Love you display Waller. I was looking at the long narrow doors that you need side by side, but I'm going to look into those square ones. Looks like they may look nicer.

I think the square ones really look nice which is why I went that route. It also makes it look quite a bit difference than what a normal curio cabinet looks like (lots of shelves with two long doors).

My original concern with the square ones is that they shelves wouldn't line up with the doors since I would have to make the shelves the right size for PF's. But clearly I was mistaken on that score.

Out of the 9 PFs I've had in these, I only had to drop one shelf slightly for Darkness since he's one big mofo. But when the doors are closed, you can't really tell.

Back