Milk magazine interview with JC ,Yulli and Howard Chan- full translation

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wookster

Very foolish words man!
Reaction score
A big thank you to Porkins73 over at OSW for taking the time to do such a thorough translation. It's an interesting read.

Taken from HERE

Originally Posted by Milk Magazine HT Interview

Milk : Is there a difference or breakthrough in (1:6 manufacturing) techniques used today as compares to the techniques you have practiced for your earlier “Hand Made Figure” works? And from which product onwards do you think a significant change in techniques actually begins?

JC : The technique of today is already miles ahead of those used in the past. The most significant improvement is in head sculpting. The fine detailing of the sculpt today was evolved from [look like a person’s sculpt] of the past to a degree which can be described as [very close to a Human Being]. It all sounded quite abstract but I believe everyone understand where I am coming from.

Yulli : The more significant breakthrough, I feel, is on how much detail in the hair sculpt and the faces’ fine lines effect, they are a big leap forward from what we have in the past. Take for example the recent 1/6 Wolverine and Kamui’s headsculpt show a significance of fine detailing.

Milk : Currently, do you guys work In a team concept? Ie is the work split up as initial modeling done by different artist and Yulli & JC will do the final touch up and detailing?

JC : Since we entered into a partnership with Hot Toys in producing 1/6 Action Figure, we have already determined on a set of design rules ie to work in a team as a single force. There is not a need to specifically identify a product is originate from which artist. The reason being that we understood that each artist will have their own personal style and recognition (in the industry). End of the day, it is not possible for a single artist’s ability to be able to create a high quality full 1/6 product. Especially so when lately, we are requiring a higher and higher expectations on the whole figure’s physics ratio and gear accuracies to be had in a product. Without Hot Toys support, it is not possible for us to achieve the current level of standards. Hence I urge everyone to not only focus on headsculpting, and also does not wished to see that artists only cares about their personal skills and therefore neglect the other team members hard work on a project.

Yulli : In order to accommodate Hot Toys’s avalanches of projects, therefore the projects I am responsible for currently are all working with JC mainly to supervise the entire team’s processes. Because of this, there is lesser opportunity for me to actually work on sculpting original work personally.

Howard : Due to the rapid growth in our MMS series inside these couple of years, we have no other options but to invite more Korean artists to join our design team. They will definitely have a difference in style when coming to sculpting. Therefore Yulli & JC naturally become key persons in ensuring the product’s quality. It is not possible for us to fly over to Korea all the time to relay (to the artist) how we want our products to be, and it is not fair for us to expect the artists to have equal skill set as Yulli’s, hence in the head sculpting portion, we still leave it to them (Yulli & JC) to manage. We are pretty please and assured with their performance thus far nevertheless.

Milk : Seems like mass production action figure’s improvement in technique are producing figures almost as good as Hand Made figure’s quality, in which other area do you think is still possible to achieve a breakthrough?

Yulli : I hope for a chance to be able to take on a bigger scale product. Because the size for a 1/6 head sculpt is really too small. In order to make it manufacture-able, there are still a degree of limits. If we can produce bigger scale figure, we can achieve an even much closer realism to a real human being.

Howard : We definitely hope to try out producing items with some greater degree of realism exceeding those in 1/6 scale constraint. For example looking at 1/2 scale bust or using real hair and eyeballs kind of materials to inject a greater sense of realism. But eventually it is up to market’s demand. Because such products are meant more for displaying only. Level of playability is low. Furthermore, it is not something collectors require at current.

Milk : The current detail level of head sculpting (from Hot Toys) from accuracy of sculpt (to the real entity), the paint works, and even P.E.R.S system etc, has already opened a big gap (in design and quality) from that of what your competitors’ does. So from the many MMS sets being released till date, which one is your most satisfying piece and which one is your most dissatisfied one?

JC : The one that etched to my mind is non other than DX Joker! Because when we first started creating this character, Heath Ledger was still alive. However when we are done with Version 1, news of his demise was announced. When the Dark Knight movie was released, we are still working on other versions of Joker, I always felt a sense of uneasiness. (Afterwards when we are working on Michael Jackson, I felt the same uneasiness….) eventually Yulli completed the version, I was taken aback, and it was the first time that a Yulli’s work had me gasping out “Its HIM!” and not “It looks like him” feel. Hence personally, from Joker’s Version 2 onwards, we have made much visible improvements on sculpt painting techniques, and with the additional of P.E.R.S. system version, it all the more display our overall manufacturing technique ability to create an exquisite product.

Yulli : Most dissatisfied is Joker Version 1. It is because during conception stage, there isn’t enough reference materials. That is why the outcome wasn’t ideal. I remember when the product was first released to the market, JC brought me one sample and I was terrified, totally does not wish to see it again (JC : Actually many a times, Yulli always wasn’t quite satisfy with any of her works when it came out from the factory’s actual production….)
The one I like better is the latest T-800. Reason being a fact that I love the movie. And also did put in a lot of heart n soul in creating this product.

Milk : Recently, many (Hot Toys) product were criticized (on the head sculpt) after official announcement and require some corrections prior to release. Do you find such situation taxing?

JC : Frankly speaking, we do not mind a single bit about taking in the criticism. The feedback allow us for continuous improvement. But we also know there are some harmful and unconstructive accusations but we are not bothered by it. Because some does not understand actual production situation, a lot of technical difficulties are not easily implementable (during factory production) even when you may have thought of a solution. It often requires an extended period of time to experiment, and to make adjustment for eventually to achieve breakthrough (in production) for each stages. Folks like Yulli and the team of sculptors usually need to complete a sculpt in very tight schedule. In between, the sculpt need to be review by Hot Toys and the movie production company and are subjected to continuous fine tuning and corrections. Hence a lot of officially announced product aren’t something the original sculptor is totally satisfied with. But I have to traced back what I have said earlier, our first consideration is always the team’s co-operation and teamwork, if it is something within our ability to achieve to the best results, we will give it all we can.
The problem is many a times, we have to compromise (especially to the movie production company and the actors/actresses), hence I hope everyone can understand our given situation.

Howard : Take for example a recent announcement of <300> King Leonidas, we actually have already completed this project much earlier. But it took a long time (without apparent reasons) for the production company to approve our license application. When we eventually gotten the green light on the license, one of the 2 headsculpts we prepared were hold for approval.
We have to cater for announcement and advertising for Japan and overseas market, and many a times in order to release the announcement on time (eg Japanese toy magazine’s advertisements), we can’t wait but to send the image (of prototype) out to our overseas distributors. We understood such situations will bring inconveniences to our customers, but in actual fact within the toy industries procedures, sample (prototype) and the final product will inevitably have a certain degree of differences. Such situation is not only exclusive to Hot Toys, a number of other Japanese or overseas Toy manufacturers in fact also experience the same situation.

Milk : In a previous interview with Yulli, she mentioned a hope to create more female character figure. Guess this wish is still yet to be realize. Hence up till date, do you have a character in mind now that you always wanted to be made into a figure one day?

Yulli : Like Audrey Hepburn and the other elegant female actress of that era is something I hope to be made. And also Pop Diva Madonna (JC : I don’t like this one….), or some character that can allow me to stretch my sculpting skills like horror movies zombies type of characters, are some projects I hope to participate in. Apart from that, I also hope I can create some cutesy characters even.

Milk : We want to hear about your opinion and point of view on the latest T-800 product in terms of headsculpting, sculpt painting, physics ratio and clothing accessories. And anything to share with us on the process of creating this character?

JC : In order for a better control of the product’s quality, I have spent a lot of time staying with the production factory in china lately. While updating manufacturing processes & techniques, I also embarked on upgrading the production team’s standard and performance. Ensuring products quality and outcome to not deviate exceeding 5 – 10%. Take for example the new T-800, everyone can notice the hair sculpting and the skin texture added details, actually we have spent a long time performing tests, until the factory has a good confidence in achieving the require results in production sense, we will then be confidence to announce the prototype image out to the public. On painting, clothing and gear accessories preparations, we work with a team of elite from Hot Toys whom we have no worries on whatsoever.

Howard : We all knew that 1/6 action figure of the pass in order to keep production cost low, most of it will use a common nude body as a base for creating the rest of the gear. Whether a character’s physical ratio is accurate or not is something that was not even considered. But fast forward to today’s 1/6 product level, the slightly lacked of likeness of a headsculpt alone is something already not able to satisfy a customer’s requirement. If we want to make it better, we have to take into consideration the entire character as a whole, so as to allow a minimize person (into 1/6 scale) to exude a more complete sense of realism. We are collectors ourselves, we definitely understand what everybody yearns for. Take for example or earlier releases like Marcus Wright, Wolverine, Michael Jackson, Comedian & King Leonidas etc, in order to give these figures a more physical ratio accuracies look, it is inevitable that we need to re-create new body type for specific uses.
And now we have gotten this precious opportunity to realize our long time dream on officially gotten the <T2> movie license and also Arnold Schwarzenegger’s approval for making this – highest accuracy level T-800 figure ever in the 1/6 history – naturally, we cannot waste this golden opportunity. We will commit all out elites to ensure we give it our best shot. Apart from Yulli’s high standard head sculpting skill & JC’s sculpt painting, we also roped in Joseph who will be in charge designing and creating T-800’s unique body sculpt. The main and only target is to enable to bring out the most perfect physical ratio’s Arnie truly coming alive in the 1/6 world.

https://www.boy-toy.net/bbs/UploadFil...1271965392.jpg

https://www.boy-toy.net/bbs/UploadFil...2719719554.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Milk magazine interview with JC and Yulli- full translation

Awesome Jeff, thanks so much for posting! I wonder if we'll get that second headsculpt for Leonidas...

That indeed was a fascinating read. Thanks for posting that wook, you rock! :rock

I ll echo that Jeff,thanks for posting.Great in-depth interview,their passion really does shine through.Only thing that puzzled me was if they re collectors themselves would nt they be wanting the whole set of Watchmen as well?

Great reading! Love to hear how passionate and detail oriented the team at HT is :rock No wonder they are dominating the 1/6 market.

I do like that they were also disappointing by the V1 Joker :lol

Interesting they haven't noticed a demand for larger scale items... seems US collectors are more and more focused on statues and larger items; but maybe that's not the case in HT main/home markets? Not that I'm complaining... I don't want them to slow dowin making 1/6 figures :lol

201012719719554.jpg

So what's that part in the bottom? Something about ROCKY and DX?

The last part of the article is basically the author stating that he hope hot toys will do a new rocky but not spent to much effort doing a dx with pers version. Instead he would prefer if they just concentrate a rocky that looks godlike(direct translation a better way of saying would be one that captures the look and majestic rocky)

I thought this article was supposed to mention an upcoming Christopher Reeve Superman figure?

201012719719554.jpg

So what's that part in the bottom? Something about ROCKY and DX?

:banana:banana:banana

Can`t freaking wait for this one,i knew it was coming though,will most likely be a 2 in 1 Rocky 1 with Training and Fight gear.I would love a Street Wear Rocky too,and lastly...Rocky IV Training with beard,who doesn`t want that?!

Glad it's of interest guys, but don't thank me, Porkins73 did all the work, and I salute you sir!

Back