What's the best, least harsh and aesthetically pleasing light setup for a Detolf?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stshammgod

Super Freak
Reaction score
I'm planning on finally getting one. What are the best type of lights to get for each shelf? What do you guys use and where can they be found? Post some pics too. :)

I'm planning on finally getting one. What are the best type of lights to get for each shelf? What do you guys use and where can they be found? Post some pics too. :)

I'm not at home to take a picture, but I just went with the little halogen light that Ikea sells separately for $13.99 CDN. It attaches to the underside of the top of your Detolf with the wires coming out through the hole.

https://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/30119314

I find it adds just enough light to bring out the finer details in my PFs without blinding me or costing a fortune in electricity. I didn't bother adding any lights to the other shelves as I found they didn't really need it; being glass, the light shines all the way down through the top. Obviously, if you have something huge on one of the upper shelves, you may want to add additional lighting.

Yeah I have LED puck lights, you can pick up a 3 pack (the whole set up) at Costco for like 10 bucks. And LEDs won't fade your stuff or heat up too much ala Ikea lights.

I'm not at home to take a picture, but I just went with the little halogen light that Ikea sells separately for $13.99 CDN. It attaches to the underside of the top of your Detolf with the wires coming out through the hole.

https://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/30119314

I find it adds just enough light to bring out the finer details in my PFs without blinding me or costing a fortune in electricity. I didn't bother adding any lights to the other shelves as I found they didn't really need it; being glass, the light shines all the way down through the top. Obviously, if you have something huge on one of the upper shelves, you may want to add additional lighting.

I have exactly the same setup and it looks great.

Careful with the halogen, I think they heat up pretty good...LED is the way to go IMO

This is what i've done to my 4 Detolfs ..............

IMG_5510.jpg

IMG_5514.jpg

IMG_5512.jpg

This is what the lighting system looks like:

53205_PE153426_S4.jpg

The brightness is amazing imo and it is a true LED (White light)

This lighting system as you can see come with 4 sets of lights and cost $49.99 at Ikea. Puck lights were a cool and quick fix but AAA batterys cost alot and they were constantly needing to be changed.

I have motion sensor puck lights in my Detolfs with two brightness settings..they look great.

Oh and Terminator, your pics are kick ass!.

How do they mount on a detaolf? can they only be mounted on the wood and not the glass?

How do they mount on a detaolf? can they only be mounted on the wood and not the glass?

They come with a bracket that is mounted to the wood ceiling BUT they also come with two-way tape so I would "assume" you could mount it to glass. Each light has its own cord so it may look too cluttered that way.

Still they seem to project a pretty good stream so maybe only one mounted on top would be all you would need?

Still they seem to project a pretty good stream so maybe only one mounted on top would be all you would need?

Yes BUT you need to then display your figs accordingly, what I mean is push the figures on the top shelf to the back so the light can shine to the next shelf. Then so on and so on to the bottom. Make sense?

Yeah. Makes sense. Gonna get me some this weekend. :banana

:rock

Good choice. This is how I see it, I needed 12 puck lights to give off the same amount of light. Each puck light required 3 AAA batteries, X 12 = 36 batterries. A pack of cheap batteries from the dollar store costs $1.00 and would cost me $12 total. $12 everytime I need to change them out and I had to all the time.

$49.99 is a cheaper alternative and a no brainer imo.

I'm using the same lighting system as TheTerminator, although I put three of the bars in a triangle form on top, and a single one in the middle on the bottom of the glass, although that's not lit/attached in the pic. You can see it just just under the base of Hudson.

batman_display1.png

batman_display2.png

Back