Original BSG series movie

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Batty

Nexus 6
Reaction score
This could be very cool. Especially for people who hate the reboot.

US, February 20, 2009 - IGN Movies has learned that Universal Pictures is planning to turn the TV series Battlestar Galactica into a feature film with series creator Glen A. Larson being lined up to script and produce it.

We were informed that the film will be based on the original BSG series from 1978-79 rather than the recent reboot from Sci Fi Channel. The story followed a band of humans who were the only survivors of a devastating attack on their colonial homeworld by the vicious cybernetic race known as the Cylons. The survivors, led by Commander Adama, embark on a journey through space aboard the military vessel Battlestar Galactica to find refuge on a distant planet called Earth.

Battlestar Galactica has been in cinemas before. Re-edited versions of television episodes were released theatrically: Battlestar Galactica (1978), Mission Galactica: The Cylon Attack (1978), and Conquest of the Earth (1980).

A Universal spokesperson refused to comment on rumored projects before ultimately denying it; we were later able to confirm our scoop independently. (This studio denial was reminiscent of Sony's dismissive response to our scoop about Jaden Smith starring in a Karate Kid remake, which we broke a YEAR before the project was officially announced.)

Although we understand that nothing is final yet on the BSG film front, fans should likely expect an official announcement on the project in the coming weeks.

I haven't seen the original series but I heard it was pretty good. I just don't think they could do as good as the series reboot with a movie based on the original series.

WORST IDEA EVER!

Moore has so far transcended the original series that current fans would just laugh at a project like this. Sure there are one or two diehards out there but that hardly makes it worthwhile.

I was a big fan of the original series as a child. But I recently sat down to watch the original series and I was bored to tears. It was the driest piece of TV (even for the time) I have ever willingly watched.

I don't think the original series has aged well at all. It's definitely a nostalgia thing for me.

I know there are a few member here who absolutely hate the new show because it's nothing like the original, so they're probably be on board with this idea.

It'd been ok if the new series bombed...
but as it is, i'd think it's safe to say the new series has a following...

the current fans would think they got shortchanged if it did not go on what they currently know.

Speed Racer or GIJoe... now that's a different story.

No one really like the original series. It was ok as a kid, but now it's cheesey and crappy.

The reboot is the best thing to ever happen to the name BSG and the Sci-Fi channel!!!!

I think the re-boot is pretty hokey itself, but I do enjoy it for what it is, and there is no doubt that it is much better than the original series. Having said that, I would love to see the big purple alien with the afro on the big screen.

I thought the original series was awesome as a kid. Of course, since I loved Star Wars, I hungered for anything sci-fi. I watched some of it a couple years ago and did not like it at all.

I think Moore did such a great job with his reboot. I don't know why Universal wants to revisit this again.

Horrible idea. The new show is the best you can get with this story. Took an okay concept, through it in a blender with hard edged military, religion, current world affairs/fears and came out with the best television show ever aired. And it still struggled in ratings. A new film based on the original series would please about 10 people, and they all worked on the original show.

Ohh I admit I'm probably one of those ten folks!

Honestly I could never get into the new BSG I have the first season on dvd and watched it a few times but could never get into the show. I think for some that grew watching the original on tv there is some nostaglia factor but re-working it into a wide release movie is probably a bad idea but they are remaking the Thing and a host of other movies so just shows you how bad Hollywood has become for new ideas.

Though I notice at every comic con, sci fi, horror convention that has some of the original BSG actors there is always a line for autographs.....

Evan

It'll probably be the mess that the reboot of Lost in Space was. If they have Daggit and that kid, I won't watch it.

Back