Storing Your Collectibles?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darkknight

Super Freak
Reaction score
So my collection is growing bigger and I don't really want to sell it. For all the hunting I did for it I'd rather keep it and give it to my son when he gets older. It now comes to my last resort...renting a storage space. I was plan on getting a 8'x6'x8' for $92 a month but might go smaller. Does anyone here rents a storage space and recommends it? The problem is that I don't want to sell my collectibles and I might regret later if I do. The only problem for me is space and paying about $100 a month that could be use for something else. I want to know what you guys would do.

$100 a month. I'd pass. I'd sell what I didn't want anymore. Pick and choose. Whittle it down. I don't have a son, but I wouldn't use that reason to keep my collectibles. He may not appreciate it, and only sell it when he did inherit it. Why? Because it takes up too much space, and he isn't going to pay $100 a month, just to keep Dad's stuff as a momento. If you can't store it in the roof, the basement, garage, etc, then build a shed specifically for your storage. It'll pay for itself within a year. If you haven't got that option, then sell, sell, sell.

Very true! I just plan on storing it for about a year until I move to a bigger place. I may pay around $80 a month so it would be $960 for the year. The things that are mostly taking up space is my G1 reissue Transformers (USA and Japanese) and Masterpieces, toybiz Marvel Legends (Almost complete missing a few variants) and a huge Batman collection. And various other things. The problem is that I'm starting to collect 1/6 scale figures that take up more space. I preordered all the Batman toys HT got to offer. I need to attend some sort of Collectors Anonymous Group...Seriously.

It's only a year. So suck it up buddy. Stack it in the bedroom and sleep on the couch. Do you have a bath and a separate shower? Plastic wrap it and stack it in the bath. Do you have any friends? Ah forget that. I don't, so why would you. Hang some fishing netting from the ceiling and store it up there.

Do you have a wife? nag nag nag nag. Nufsaid:lol I've been ignoring her and getting more things. I think the only way I could get my Hot Toys is to store it so she cant see it. But I do appreciate the advise.

Do you have a wife? nag nag nag nag. Nufsaid:lol

I had one, but she took up too much room. Nufsaid :lol

That's my last piece of advice. Let's face it, even if you sold it all, would the nagging stop? There's only one way to stop nagging from happening.:rolleyes: :horror Make that two.:naughty :lol

Do you have a wife? nag nag nag nag. Nufsaid:lol I've been ignoring her and getting more things. I think the only way I could get my Hot Toys is to store it so she cant see it. But I do appreciate the advise.

i'm in the same boat i took over the closet and have boxer all over our bedroom. now i started moving in my kids closet. so needless to say she's pissed. but if you have less than a year then start stacking them, stack them anywhere you can............ collect for life!:D:banana

I had one, but she took up too much room. Nufsaid :lol

That's my last piece of advice. Let's face it, even if you sold it all, would the nagging stop? There's only one way to stop nagging from happening.:rolleyes: Make that two. :lol

:lolThanks bro! That is words of wisdom.

i pay $70 a month for a 10'x15' air conditioned storage unit. as a realize it's very expensive, i have zero extra space and it's a necessary evil. when i get my own place, i'll be looking for an extra bedroom for inside storage and then i can dump the storage unit.

Personally I think the soundest advice is to look through the stuff you've got and get rid of what you don't really want. Based on your post most of the collection doesn't really matter to you anymore anyway if you're planning to give it to your son. Your son probably won't want all of it, so why not save, say ten or twenty of your favourite pieces and give them to him. To each his own but personally I wouldn't rent storage space for my collectibles, if I had to do that I'd cut down either my buying or my existing stuff. Just my thoughts, not trying to upset anyone renting storage, like I said, to each his own.

Sell your collection and put the money in a Retirement fund for him... Best gift you can give him!!!!! He'll understand later.

paying for a space to keep all this ^^^^ is crazy imo.

You own the collectibles, they shouldnt own you.

i pay $70 a month for a 10'x15' air conditioned storage unit. as a realize it's very expensive, i have zero extra space and it's a necessary evil. when i get my own place, i'll be looking for an extra bedroom for inside storage and then i can dump the storage unit.

paying for a space to keep all this ^^^^ is crazy imo.

You own the collectibles, they shouldnt own you.

dre0582l.jpg

Owned. :lol

Storage makes sense for a short-term period, but the collectibles have to be dealt with eventually. Keep to display, or dump.

Thanks for all your advises. I'm gonna weed out what I don't want and try to sell it. I also need to cut down on collecting.

with todays cost and future cost.... cutting down is a wise choice!

Sucks when I get a 1% raise and cost of living jumps up over 4%. :(

with todays cost and future cost.... cutting down is a wise choice!

Sucks when I get a 1% raise and cost of living jumps up over 4%. :(

Amen brother. I think the days of a double digit raise are long over, unless you're a CEO of some company about to go bankrupt.

Very true! I just plan on storing it for about a year until I move to a bigger place. I may pay around $80 a month so it would be $960 for the year. The things that are mostly taking up space is my G1 reissue Transformers (USA and Japanese) and Masterpieces, toybiz Marvel Legends (Almost complete missing a few variants) and a huge Batman collection. And various other things. The problem is that I'm starting to collect 1/6 scale figures that take up more space. I preordered all the Batman toys HT got to offer. I need to attend some sort of Collectors Anonymous Group...Seriously.

Dear oh dear...this echoes my situation (minus the wife!) I can TOTALLY sympathise here coz i know what you're saying bro. It's very hard to part with your stuff as EVERY piece you have will hold value to yo. Right now every bit of 1/6 and PF stuff i'm getting goes straight in the attic for storage...problem is the attic belongs to the folks and is taking up a lot of room....slowly realising i'm gonna have to stop soon as i'll need a seperate house just display it all!

Back