Cameras for Shooting Toys

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kabukiman

Greatest Person Ever
Reaction score
I have two digital cameras (well, three if you count my iPhone) and they both suck for taking close-up pics of toys. I have an Olympus Camedia C-50 (5MP) digital camera and an Aiptek HD camcorder that takes 8MP stills. Both are terrible when I go close up on a toy and are unusable in the dark.

I'm not looking to be the next MaulFan or Dunedin or anything, I just want a cheap point and click to take some pics of my collection and customs.

What do you guys use? Any recommendations?

I use a Cannon 20D with various lenses - though the 17-85mm that comes standard is fantastic.

I should really shoot some more....

example :
img6884bg8.jpg

Last edited:
I currently own two cameras that I use pretty heavily in photographing collectibles and other close-up work, a Canon Digital Rebel (although I am in the process of upgrading it to an XSi), and a Canon A620 (the current model is the A650). Both work exceptionally well for this type of shooting, assuming you have a good lens on the DSLR.

I have a Cannon Rebel SLR that I've been using for about 18 months. Its freaking great and for just a average joe guy like myself makes my shots a lot better.

I have two digital cameras (well, three if you count my iPhone) and they both suck for taking close-up pics of toys. I have an Olympus Camedia C-50 (5MP) digital camera and an Aiptek HD camcorder that takes 8MP stills. Both are terrible when I go close up on a toy and are unusable in the dark.

I'm not looking to be the next MaulFan or Dunedin or anything, I just want a cheap point and click to take some pics of my collection and customs.

What do you guys use? Any recommendations?

If you want to stay with point and shoot, i still suggest going with Canon. There's a model comparable to my previous camera, has Super Macro settings even. I reall don't think you can go wrong with it.

Canon Powershot S5 IS - 8MP - Suggested Retail $350

If you want to stay with point and shoot, i still suggest going with Canon. There's a model comparable to my previous camera, has Super Macro settings even. I reall don't think you can go wrong with it.

Canon Powershot S5 IS - 8MP - Suggested Retail $350

How much better is Super Macro than Macro?

My SX100 IS has ordinary Macro, and I can still get EXTREMELY close to toys (less than half an inch) and still have it come out crisp and clear--although at that range I need extra light because the camera's shadow falls over the item.

Thanks for the responses!

Turns out I'm a complete and udder idiot. All this talk about "macro settings" got me thinking. 'What happens when I click the little flower icon?' Turns out that little flower icon is what you use when you shoot tiny objects like 1/6 heads. :duh

I'm starting to get decent shots now. Nothing spectacular, but usable. Thanks!

How much better is Super Macro than Macro?

My SX100 IS has ordinary Macro, and I can still get EXTREMELY close to toys (less than half an inch) and still have it come out crisp and clear--although at that range I need extra light because the camera's shadow falls over the item.

I always used Super Macro on my last camera, funnily enough, I haven't gotten a macro lens yet for my DSLR, but the resolution is so great I can just crop zoomed out shots and be ok. I don't know how to compare Super to regular macro, just that the closeness and detail level I could get with Super Macro was amazing. Using it with figures like textured Hot Toys portraits would really show all the detailing.

SL, I also own an SX100. It usually takes great shots. But one thing I have noticed is when I place the camera a couple feet away from an object (to reduce the fish eye effect) and then zoom in a bit for details, the camera does not auto focus correctly even when there is plenty of light. Have you experienced this? The auto focus works fine if I'm not zoomed.

SL, I also own an SX100. It usually takes great shots. But one thing I have noticed is when I place the camera a couple feet away from an object (to reduce the fish eye effect) and then zoom in a bit for details, the camera does not auto focus correctly even when there is plenty of light. Have you experienced this? The auto focus works fine if I'm not zoomed.

Sometimes it does that. Most times, I try two or three more times to focus, and it usually comes into focus. Or I'll just pull the zoom back a little bit and just crop the image.

Macro shooting can be tricky. Even though your camera lens can still zoom, the lens may not be able to focus on the subject depending on all factors.

For example, if I'm shooting a 1/6 figure head with my camera, not even a Macro lens, I can get pretty close to the portrait, but, if I zoom the lens out 100%, I can't focus on the portrait, no matter what, I have to back the lens off about 95% zoom and even keep some distance from the subject. That's why with DSLR cameras, there are a variety of Macro lenses depending on how close you want to get and how small a subject, it's very complex. Most point and shoots have macro and/or super macro options, but because it's a built in lens made to do all functions, they're react differently from camera to camera.

For Macro shooting I like using my DSLR, but the P&S is fine, but I have to keep real still.

I have two camera's.

-Canon SD850IS (used for quick pics).

-Canon 20D (used for detailed pics).

XTi or XSi? The Xsi has a larger screen, viewfinder, IS on the kit lens, etc, but the XTi can be had for a little less.

*cough*Nikon*cough*. :lecture

Come on Lonnie back me up, look at all these Canon people in here. :lol

I went with the XSi.. its image quality at high ISOs is barely noisier than the XTi itself, and it has a couple of minor features that I like. Next time, though, I am open to either the 40D, and whatever Nikon and the others have to offer. For now I'll have to be Canon guy. :p

Back