1/6th Figure Costs

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lcummins

Universal MODster
Reaction score
Everyone was complaining about Sideshow raising their prices and saying no one else was, etc., well, now we are seeing prices go up across the board almost everywhere! Medicom, Hot Toys, DC Direct, Amok Time, and many others, have begun raising their prices on new figures.

In almost every thread where the price has gone up on a particular line, people talk of being priced out of the line, so here is the question...

Will the higher prices cause you to drop a line or collecting completely, just buy fewer figures, or drop companies and only buy from the lower priced companies?

And just because I can't resist... we told you so! :D

It will (and all ready has) resulted in me buying less figures. I won't STOP collecting Star Wars all together but I did cancel Davy Jones and Indy all ready so I can stick to SW and even then I canceled Armor Obi since I was more interested in the armor finaly showing up than the actual character.

Yeah, I'd say the higher prices are driving me away somewhat. I'm basically sticking to the "gotta have" figures like Indy, but even then, I may choose to just get the PF instead of the figure because there is a perception that I'm getting more bang for my buck there. The "that's cool, but I don't really *need* figures" are getting the boot entirely. That would include the Shawn of the Dead stuff, Gandalf, etc.

One thing the higher prices have done, is kicked me into kit-bashing and customizing. I'm terrible at it right now, but I'm still having fun trying.

It has eliminated the "completist" in me. I've passed on figure offerings from every line except for The Dead whose prices have been more stable, even though you can find posts of mine that claim to be a completist no matter what.

As long as people stop using the Voodoo Economics excuses for these companies raising prices so drastically I am more than willing to engage in the discussion.

As long as people stop using the Voodoo Economics excuses for these companies raising prices so drastically I am more than willing to engage in the discussion.

Ok... as long as everyone quits saying these companies are price gouging and admit that all of them are going up, so it really must be because of rising costs...

Well, everyone knows why the prices have been going up right?? What is plastic made from?? Oh yeah, that's right, it's a PETROLEUM based product. Hmmm, imagine that!

Ok... as long as everyone quits saying these companies are price gouging and admit that all of them are going up, so it really must be because of rising costs...

Yup,but good luck using logic on some folks. They get it in their heads that there must be some conspiracy and they run with it. Talking with them is no different than talking with some of the kids I teach because their ability to use logic isn't much different. Its beyond frustrating to talk with someone who just simply cant look at the way things are going in the world and how it effects everything. They just simply want to believe companies are raising the prices just because which is beyond laughable. I'm to the point I simply ignore the posts by people that can't take everything into account.
------------------------------------------------------------

Now, as to your original question. I am going to be cutting back because of the raising prices. I've already cut out PF's pretty much because of price and Dio's I'm extremely picky on because price. As the price of 1:6th figures continue to climb I will be cutting back on them the first to go will be most anything by Medicom and Hot Toys. I love Sideshow and the products they make and for me they make the best stuff, but if they continue to raise the prices on their items I will be ordering less from them too. I think I've finally hit critical mass on how much more I can take on and how much more I want to take on.

It seems like everything is going up.......excluding my paychecks:monkey2:monkey2:monkey2

Yup, pretty much everything is going up. Food, Clothes, Gas, barrel of oil (which make items like toys and currently at $125 a barrel), etc. Its just plain and simple fact that these things have been going up and crazy levels. Just dismissing these facts shows to me anyways how much logic a person is willing to use in this discussion. Some if I will grant is these companies wanting to make an extra buck but to act like this is the MAIN reason is beyond silly.

if its something i really like ill will keep buying . I just hope the extra loot to make better quality figures .

i dont think the higher costs will improve the quality. the costs of materials is going up so the increased costs have to cover that. thats why i dont get people who start whining that the price goes up without a "new body".

I'm on the verge of taking a break for a while. The price is definitely a factor, but I'm not complaining. These companies exist because people are willing to spend a lot of money on toys. If you can't keep up with the prices, or are unwilling to, it's simple to change your habits accordingly. Whether it's fair or not doesn't really enter into it. We're not talking about medicine.
There's nothing wrong with griping. It's human nature. But if you really feel you're being taken advantage of then maybe your collecting has become too much of a "need" and less of a hobby. I think you can be a happy collector at this price level even if you're on a budget as long as you can prioritize.
If you can't be happy with what you can afford, then the problem isn't the toy companies..

Very good points there Yo. I agree with you that if the price is THAT much of an issue maybe it really has become a need. Something, I think I've realized with myself.

Thanks Josh. I think everyone comes to grips with it at some point. My fiancée is also a teacher and I know she would agree with this -
Yup,but good luck using logic on some folks... Talking with them is no different than talking with some of the kids I teach because their ability to use logic isn't much different.
She's usually not referring to me. :monkey3

It really has hit me over the course of the last year. I think I just let the thrill of the hunt get me instead of just focusing on the big game I REALLY want in my collection. I'm quite close to listing a bunch of things for sale thinning the ole collection and trying to reduce the CC debt.

Well, you seem to be good people Yo. I do want to make it clear that I like Carl and think he's a good guy. However, its beyond me why someone as intelligent as he is would just blow off the economics of things as some excuse.

Back