Are the new superhero movies ok for kids?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chimera 1

Super Freak
Reaction score
Are the new superhero movies appropriate for kids under 10? My son is 9 and he wants to see Iron Man, the Dark Knight, HellBoy II etc. What is your opinion on these movies for kids?

if you're worried about what your kid is seeing, do some research about the flick to see if any of the content is inappropriate. another option is see the movie first. even movies like transformers with the hot megan fox can have sexual situations. she gave me a chubby. :lol

But seriously.....I remember when I was a kid about 7-8 years old, I've seen probably every horror movies from the 80's at that time....Parents werent so uptight back then....made a couple nightmares after seeing the exorcist but thats it.....A little bit of violence on the screen cant hurt a kid.Except if your kid is already disturbed....

Are the new superhero movies appropriate for kids under 10? My son is 9 and he wants to see Iron Man, the Dark Knight, HellBoy II etc. What is your opinion on these movies for kids?

How would anyone know till they come out? You could go by the classification. Why would a kid want to see these films? Because they will be awesome. He is informed enough to know about them and their impending release, so he must have an interest, and probably talks with his mates at school about how cool these will be, just as we do. As a parent you decide, not the kid. What are you afraid of him seeing? Has he already seen Hellboy 1, Spiderman, Batman? Take the kid and scar him for life. I'm sure he'll get over it.

Who knows for sure until they come out?

I would say Iron Man would be the least intense of the three you listed. I think the Dark Knight and Hellboy look a little too intense for a 9 year old with the Joker and monsters that could scare him. They are all going to be PG-13 I believe so it depends on what you feel is right for him and what he could handle as his parent.

Depends on if you're trying to desensitize a kid or not.....Iron Man looks to be the least amount of worry but you have to remember that Stark goes through pain before putting the suit and the extents of that are yet to be seen. Not to mention if he's a little weak then a huge Iron Monger might send him over the edge. My parents were really uptight on what I watched.....I remember the whole covering the eyes thing.....but in reality about the time I was seven I started to find ways to see what they wouldn't allow me to so you might be worrying about something that has already occurred....

To me I would say yes. Based on what the rating says its PG-13 mostly for the action/violence. I am sure I could have seen that when I was a kid at that age. Most movies that were PG when I was a kid would be PG-13 now. At that age as long as the kids have good parents and can explain things properly after the movie its ok.

Thats my take for Iron Man, I am not sure about the Batman or Hellboy movie.

The Batman might be a lil to much.

I would think Iron Man would be OK. The last Hellboy wasn't bad either, even the director's cut was still PG-13. I would think those would be OK, Hellboy only if he saw the first one.

The Dark Knight on the other hand, is going to be, well, DARK. The Joker is going to be sick and twisted, probably pushing the PG-13 rating to the edge. If you are OK with that, then I think it would be OK. But you may want to see Batman first before you take him. Rumor has it the Joker will be seen at one point through "fear gas" so I imagine that will be incredbibly frightening to a child.

My 5 year old is in line to see Iron Man, Indy, Dark Knight, and Hellboy. I have a pretty good idea about what the subject matter is and I know he can (and has frequently) handle it.

There will certainly be people quick to judge you either way: You're a terrible parent if you allow them to see it, you're too protective/uptight if you don't. I say every kid is different. You know (or should know) your kid better than anybody else, so you should be able to make a better decision than anybody.

In my case, I feel as long as I'm there with him to walk out if it gets "scary" or field questions about confusing or different situations, he's good to see all the upcoming superhero movies. But that's just me and my kid, your mileage may vary.

Seriously? 9 and you gotta ask this question? If you don't take him to these movies you're doing him a disservice.

My daughter is 6 and I'm taking her to Iron man and TDK.

Christ my parents took me to see Poltergeist when i was 7.( a few nightmares never hurt anyone) But like any parent it's totally up to you.

9 is like the perfect age to be seeing Batman and Iron man hulk etc. PG-13 or not. (call me crazy)

Last edited:
Good question and uscmhicks hit on the head, watch it first and then decide, that way you have an excuse to see it twice :)!

My 5 year old is in line to see Iron Man, Indy, Dark Knight, and Hellboy. I have a pretty good idea about what the subject matter is and I know he can (and has frequently) handle it.

There will certainly be people quick to judge you either way: You're a terrible parent if you allow them to see it, you're too protective/uptight if you don't. I say every kid is different. You know (or should know) your kid better than anybody else, so you should be able to make a better decision than anybody.

In my case, I feel as long as I'm there with him to walk out if it gets "scary" or field questions about confusing or different situations, he's good to see all the upcoming superhero movies. But that's just me and my kid, your mileage may vary.

That is a good reason why I don't like going to the movies at a theater anymore unless it is a really late show to try avoid crowds and really young kids. If it is a packed theater, you might not mind if your son gets scared so that he cries or starts screaming so that you need to leave or have to talk to him during the movie but it interrupts others enjoyment of the movie around you.

Thanks for all the advice. I am definitely taking him to see them all. He is a very well rounded kid and he knows the difference between right/wrong and reality/fantasy so i know he can handle it. I am just glad to see i am not alone in my views that he is old enough to handle them.

you might not mind if your son gets scared so that he cries or starts screaming so that you need to leave or have to talk to him during the movie but it interrupts others enjoyment of the movie around you.

I should clarify; if there were even the slightest chance of a crying kid, there's no way I'm taking him. Nor is talking allowed. We always sit in the aisle so we can make a quick exit if need be. Discussion always happens outside during bathroom breaks or after the movie. I can't stand going to movie theaters anymore for the same reasons you stated (I've found teenagers and barely 20-somethings to be much more disruptive though). I go for the early Sunday matinee to avoid the crowds. If it weren't for my kid wanting to go, I wouldn't go to movie theaters period.

Back