Can you believe these eBay sellers are trying this?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DouglasMcc

Super Freak
Reaction score
Okay, I have been scouring eBay hoping to upgrade my PC when I came upon this auction:

https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=330153763839&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=014

Felt like it was a good deal so I went with the Buy It Now. Took the seller 5 days to respond, and I get this reply:

"Thank you for your purchase. You didn't choose a processor. Do you have your own or would you like to purchase one from us?"

Can you believe this crap? The title of the auction lists the Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 processor and it lists this processor numerous times in the auction. Was I wrong to assume it came with the PC? Is there any recourse ... i.e. what should I do?

No. Thankfully, I was waiting to see if I could upgrade the memory first. What I mean is that there is a punishment for buyers who don't pay. Is there some kind of way to "punish" a seller for false advertisement? No way I am going to pay anymore than the BIN was listed.

don't pay... you will however have to for go the FREE INTEL POLO SHIRT IN STORM BLUE...

No. Thankfully, I was waiting to see if I could upgrade the memory first. What I mean is that there is a punishment for buyers who don't pay. Is there some kind of way to "punish" a seller for false advertisement? No way I am going to pay anymore than the BIN was listed.

Just don't pay. The worst that can happen is you get an unpaid item strike and a negative feedback. It's better than losing a couple hundred bucks.

i wouldnt because its basically a barebones system and if you read the part where it says "please read your customized configuration below" it has all the included system specs. nowhere is a processor listed on it. stuff like this is sold on the web everywhere. its a cheap way to build a computer for customizers.

Don't buy it.

It doesn't have a graphics card either. And I'm pretty sure they'll just send you the parts so if you don't know how to put together a computer then you'll be screwed. Plus, it's a bad system, the motherboard is cheap, only two slots for memory which would be full with those two sticks of 1GB, plus it's already installed with Ubuntu Linux, so you'd have to buy a copy of Windows. It's only worth like $300 at the most I'd say so it's not that great of a deal.

If you want help with getting a new computer I can help you.

i wouldnt even say its worth $300. you can go to tiger direct and get a really nice barebones system for $500 that comes with a decent dual core processor.
~~just make sure you comb through and scan the details several times before buying something like this... if all else fails ask them 30 questions. if they really want to sell it they'll answer the questions.

Yes, even if it did have the 6600, that's a quad-core processor, and while that's good for a lot of things, it can be a problem for gaming. And dual-core works just fine.

I would try to contact ebay and the seller about the problem. You may be able to back out if you explain you thought it came with the processor, etc.

At this point, I don't expect to get a buy out of this. However, I think, respectfully, some of you guys are missing the point of my question. The title of the auction is: INTEL CORE 2 DUO E6600 DUAL CORE DESKTOP PC VIST #1247.

Then, where it lists the components, it says above them: INTEL CORE 2 DUO E6600 DUAL CORE DESKTOP PC VISTA READY. That implies/ advertises that the processor is included with the setup. How is this not false advertisement? Am I missing something in terms of eBay listings? Are sellers allowed to be deliberately false/ misleading? Sigh ...

The system was worth what I BINed WITH the processor. The board supports up to 4 gig so I could upgrade later to 2 2 gigs. I have a Geforce 800GTX 768mb card, so the video card wasn't that important.

Actually, come to look at it. That motherboard can't even support the E6600, so they are completely misleading you into first believing that it comes with the processor (which is worth about $300 itself) As far as RAM goes, it can only have a maximum of 2GB (as for what the motherboard can support, other motherboards can support the high amounts per stick of RAM but this one can't).

I would contact them and try to cancel, and if not then go to ebay because I'm pretty sure that they'd side with you.

At this point, I don't expect to get a buy out of this. However, I think, respectfully, some of you guys are missing the point of my question. The title of the auction is: INTEL CORE 2 DUO E6600 DUAL CORE DESKTOP PC VIST #1247.

Then, where it lists the components, it says above them: INTEL CORE 2 DUO E6600 DUAL CORE DESKTOP PC VISTA READY. That implies/ advertises that the processor is included with the setup. How is this not false advertisement? Am I missing something in terms of eBay listings? Are sellers allowed to be deliberately false/ misleading? Sigh ...

The system was worth what I BINed WITH the processor. The board supports up to 4 gig so I could upgrade later to 2 2 gigs. I have a Geforce 800GTX 768mb card, so the video card wasn't that important.

People put misleading info in a lot of auction items to get the people looking for a good buy to not read all the auction info carefully and just hit the buy it now. I can't access the auction in question through work but I would say always carefully read the entire auction text and always ask questions before bidding especially if something sounds too good to be true.

Back