Official Superman: Man of Steel Thread!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grange Wallis

Super Freak
Reaction score
I know this is pretty early to be starting this up... But apparently, Singer and Mike Dougherty have crafted a killer pitch and 'concept draft' that had the suits eating out of their hands and even had a knock-on effect for the plans for JLA (I'm told). Several key story points were made clear by the pre-production conceptual art, and here are some SPOILERY details of what those images revealed
SPOILERS​

So what do you all think regarding this... I hope we well finally see a battle-damaged Superman & a Super...Battle!:monkey5

Last edited:
The part that is worth calling me a fiend for wanting makes me the happiest

Yeah it's too early. And the suits loved the Donnerworld reboot too, which wasn't the greatest direction for the franchise. But if there's Brainiac I'm all for it.

Returns was an ill conceived rehash of Superman the Movie and although well executed disappointed many. It was a lazy ass way of rebooting the franchise, using the exact same plot. Superman must stop Lex Luthor from perishing billions in a Real Estate Scheme. Hey we saw that already. Call that original?

I call it a rip reimagining of a previous film where Mario Puzo actually took the time to visit with Superman historians, research tons of comic books and imagined an original way to write Superman. Singer inserted himself into the mix (to get story and screenplay credit and tons more money on top of directing credit which he did very well IMO) and WB was dumb enough to buy into it. I have said many times the first thing WB should have done was fire Singer and his friends as "writers" for the next Supes and hire a real gun and true fan of the Comics, like they did with Batman, having Nolan and Goyer actually do something original.

I don't trust Singer as a Writer or these kids based on the rehashed story elements they used for SR when you can only imagine the thousands of storylines and plethora of characters they could have used if they were qualified to do this right.

Last edited:
Nolan was hardly original with Batman Begins. The first half of the film basically "rips" Mike Barr's excellent Son of the Demon. The second half of Batman Begins was as flat as an open bottle of Coke. Completely missed the point of the character. If Nolan wanted to "rip" Son of the Demon he should also have ripped Miller's Year One.

And Superman Returns "ripped" my ass open and raped my childhood.

BB did not rip off a previous well know Batman Film with a rehashed plotpoint. That was my point, I was referring to FILMS as obviously stated with refs toward Puzo's research with Comic books vs Singer's lack therof. Guess you missed that D.

BB was absolutely Original as a Batman Film.

Last edited:
BB did not rip off a previous well know Batman Film with a rehashed plotpoint. That was my point, obviously stated with refs toward Puzo's research with Comic books vs Singer's lack therof. Guess you missed that D.

No, I didn't. My point was Nolan's ripping off of the Ra's Al Ghul origin and then disregarding Batman's debut by throwing Miller's Year One out the window. Bats didn't have the Bondian gadgets the first year and no Batmobile or "Tumbler" (WTF was that?!?!) Bats was solo on the street trying to survive on the urban streets of Gotham while trying to make a name for himself by striking fear into the hearts of the criminal element. I have contempt for Nolan for ignoring this (though I wonder just how much this was demanded by the studio). As for Singer, the guy is admittedly not a comic book fan so what does that tell you? X2 was awesome but if you look at the plot structure he basically rips off Wrath of Khan. Singer is a crafty plagiarist.

Rumors are so plentiful I'd just take them all with a grain of salt until you read a press release. For a while Tom Welling was a lock for Superman until Routh was cast if you listened to the rumors, even the "official" ones. Now he's in the mill for the JLA film as well. While Superman Returns was a bit of a let down in terms of originality and I never did like where they went with the costuming, I loved seeing Supes back in action using his powers and definitely feel that there is NO ONE better than Routh to continue the Superman Legacy.

Superman Returns was aweful, Singer should be off the next film after that crap.

"Smallville" should hit the Big Screen, a take over any new Superman films.

No, I didn't. My point was Nolan's ripping off of the Ra's Al Ghul origin and then disregarding Batman's debut by throwing Miller's Year One out the window. Bats didn't have the Bondian gadgets the first year and no Batmobile or "Tumbler" (WTF was that?!?!) Bats was solo on the street trying to survive on the urban streets of Gotham while trying to make a name for himself by striking fear into the hearts of the criminal element. I have contempt for Nolan for ignoring this (though I wonder just how much this was demanded by the studio). As for Singer, the guy is admittedly not a comic book fan so what does that tell you? X2 was awesome but if you look at the plot structure he basically rips off Wrath of Khan. Singer is a crafty plagiarist.

X2 was awesome?:monkey1

X2 was awesome?:monkey1

Indeed.

I personally thought SR was boring and a big let down. That and the EXTREMELY lame toys from Mattel didn't help either(Can still find them on clearance here).

The rumors Ive been hearing about S:MoS say that Spacey and Singer would both like to return, and that WB might consider letting the franchise die.:monkey1

I highly doubt WB and/or DC Comics would let the Superman franchise die completely. I'm sure that they'd simply pull a HULK and reboot the franchise before completely eliminating it. Superman and Batman are THE two anchors of the DC Universe. DC Comics needs them both flurishing to compete with Marvels Juggernaut (no pun intended)

With all of the "reboots" it begs the question: Why couldn't they get it right the first time? Hulk gets rebooted after its FIRST film... then Punisher... now Supes? Whoops! Time out! False start! Do over! RESET! RESET! The suits just don't get it. Why can't they hire people who know and are passionate and respectful of the legacy of the source material instead of ignoring continuity and confusing audiences even more? That never happened. Supes and Lois never had a kid, that was some Elseworlds storyline. Forget it.

Back