Finally - my review of Jack and Sao from Hot Toys

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Crawford

Super Freak
Reaction score
I just realized I haven't covered any sixth scale in a couple weeks! Well, let's get back to it with a review on some excellent Hot Toys figures: Jack Sparrow and Sao Feng. Okay, Sao isn't quite as nice as Jack, as I had some issues with the body. But he's still a nice addition, and once we have Elizabeth (and hopefully a Barbossa eventually), we'll have a terrific display.

You can find all the reviews at the usual:

https://www.mwctoys.com

Thanks for reading!

Michael
MWC

I have to agree it is a great figure. I still want a Jack but don't know if I want the medi or the HT. I can't believe I am saying this but the Medi looks better in the face. Does anyone have any side by sides? Great review as allways Mike.

Nice review Michael, but I'm surprised you didn't knock off any points on costuming with Jack for the inaccurracy of the color they ended up using, probaby the figures only flaw.

Great review Micheal. Care to do a comparison between the Medicom Jack and the HT? Which do you like more?

A while back I read your comparison review of the Takara, Medicom and Hot Toys Batman Returns figures and it was very helpful in making my decision of which to buy.

The Medicom Jack, like the Medicom Luke, looks nothing like the character. It doesn't look like a real person either, which is why the HT version has it beat. I can't do a side by side, because I never bought the Medicom for exactly that reason.

Medicom Jack looks like Jack with a repaint, but from the factory, the face is lacking, but I argue that it's closer than the Luke, even a repaint of that Luke couldn't bring out Mark, but Johnny is in the Medi sculpt, just Medi's lackluster paint apps fail to show it, and Jack is a character where paint apps make or break a sculpt, unlike Wolverine who shined with a lackluster paint job. I recommend both Jacks if people can afford them. Medi Jack is Curse of the Black Pearl Jack (despite what the packaging says, the wardrobe is that film) and Hot Toys Jack is Dead Man's Chest and At World's End Jack, get both and you have a nice little Sparrow collection.

Great review... seems like we are getting more and more **** 1/6 reviews these days. Too bad they're also getting more expensive :monkey2

I have the Medi Jack already, and have the HT on order. I figure once I get the HT I'll be waving bye-bye to the Medicom version. Its very nice, but I think the realism of the HT seems much better and I prefer the scale.

And unlike MF I can't really justify two of basically the same figure.

I pre-ordered the Jack from Sideshow a few days ago. I saw him at SDCC and thought he looked fantastic, and probably the best Jack we will see for a while. I've never bought a Hot Toy figure before and was a bit iffy if I would try to keep him. Now after seeing your review, 4 stars!, I'm going to try my best to make sure he is added to the collection.

I've been a long time reader and know your 4 star score isn't just handed out that often, so it must indeed be a fantastic figure! I truely feel I understand your reviewing style (and agree with it) and therefore highly value your opinions.

Sao looks cool, but he was really nothing more than a filler character in the films. Not the outfit for Elizabeth I would have chosen either. A Barbosa and Davy Jones are musts from Hot Toys though! :monkey5

Thats like me. Saw him at the Con and Elizabeth as well didn't order them cause I wasn't sure. Read more and more here then the review which makes me really happy I did order them.

:rock :rock :rock :rock :rock
review_htsparrow_18.jpg

Medicom Jack looks like Jack with a repaint, but from the factory, the face is lacking, but I argue that it's closer than the Luke, even a repaint of that Luke couldn't bring out Mark, but Johnny is in the Medi sculpt, just Medi's lackluster paint apps fail to show it, and Jack is a character where paint apps make or break a sculpt, unlike Wolverine who shined with a lackluster paint job.

Man, that is one run on sentance. Michael's reviews are for figures out of the box, not customs. Out of the box Medicom Jack < Hot Toys Jack.

Yes to be honest, when you pay $120 for a figure, you shouldn't have to paint the head yourself.

Man, that is one run on sentance. Michael's reviews are for figures out of the box, not customs. Out of the box Medicom Jack < Hot Toys Jack.

I agree where his review is coming from. His comment in here read like he felt nothing could make Medi Jack look like Jack, and I was arguing that the likeness could be brought out where in the Luke he used for comparison couldn't be saved by anything.

And I aggree, at the cost, it should come out of the box looking great, but for the most part, those type of paint apps are par for the course with Medicom. HT Jack delivers HT quality, it's a fantastic figure straight out of the package.

Excellent reviews. I was on the fence about Sao Feng, but now I'm content in my decision not to get him (atleast, not any time soon). He's an impressive figure, and his role as conduit for Swann becoming pirate king makes him more important of a character to me than most people give him credit for, but he definitely loses out to her on the scale of badassery.

MaulFan, what color is Jack's coat supposed to be? Black?

MaulFan, what color is Jack's coat supposed to be? Black?

Dark gery with dirt to it. In some lighting, it almost looks brownish, but not quite the shade HT used.

normal_potc2_64.jpg

review_htsparrow_4.jpg

Hot Toys' shade actually almost looks maroon in some lighting. Overall, the figure is so great it's a detail you can look past as a collector owning it, but as a reviewer, I certainly think it's something worth holding against them, especially when so much of the figure is on or above par, to have one little detail off hurts.

Well, it's kind of a big detail. For as much effort that went into the rest of it, I wonder how something like that could have happened.

But, like you said, if the figure's quality is as high as has been said, I can live with it (though I am wondering what the odds are of a successful dye job).

Back