Action Figure Hot toys Diecast Iron Man Preservation (For Diecast Surface)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cherng

Freakalicious
Reaction score
Hello all, can we apply Car Wax on Hot Toys Iron Man Diecast's surface? To preserve the diecast paint from deterioration. Anybody has done it? Use what kind of wax? Please share your experience. Appreciate it.

Hello all, can we apply Car Wax on Hot Toys Iron Man Diecast's surface? To preserve the diecast paint from deterioration. Anybody has done it? Use what kind of wax? Please share your experience. Appreciate it.

5b8qlWW.gif

It's fine leave it alone. You will be dead before you need to worry about the paint on these.

Some lads in this hobby go insane, freaking out about the pleather or all sorts, just look after your figures and it's fine.

Hey since we're talking about diecast care, does anyone know if displaying an IM in front of a sunny closed windowsill will cause damage over time? Could the plastic parts theoretically fade to a different color than the diecast parts?
I'm new to the forum and just got my first diecast (though not my first HT) :) Hopefully dumb questions are welcome.

Some lads in this hobby go insane, freaking out about the pleather or all sorts, just look after your figures and it's fine.

My Catwoman pleather falls apart. I never touch it since I opened it 6 years ago. In detolf, free smoke, no sunlight. Completely secure but they still falls apart.

Pleather is the one material someone should take care of, along with rubber.

Pleather needs to be conditioned (whether on a figure, car, bag, clothes, chairs, etc.) otherwise it will dry out, crack, and peel over time.

It takes a long time for a figure to deteriorate (unless it’s in a particularly humid area like Southeast Asia) because they’re usually out of direct sunlight in stable environments, but they can still benefit from occasional maintenance.

The use of an artificial leather conditioner will make a big difference in preserving figures that have costumes made from pleather.

Hey since we're talking about diecast care, does anyone know if displaying an IM in front of a sunny closed windowsill will cause damage over time? Could the plastic parts theoretically fade to a different color than the diecast parts?
I'm new to the forum and just got my first diecast (though not my first HT) :) Hopefully dumb questions are welcome.

Not a dumb question. Ultraviolet light from sunlight causes paint degradation and color fading not to mention plasticization fumes (sticky plastic parts, usually soft plastic) that's why it's a good idea to have your display away from windows. By closed window sill, do you mean closed from sunlight or just closed shut but with glass window panes? If it has to be next to windows due to real estate restrictions, I would apply those UV blocking home window tints. Helps keep the room insulated and block you and your collection from harmful UV rays.

Pleather is the one material someone should take care of, along with rubber.

Pleather needs to be conditioned (whether on a figure, car, bag, clothes, chairs, etc.) otherwise it will dry out, crack, and peel over time.

It takes a long time for a figure to deteriorate (unless it’s in a particularly humid area like Southeast Asia) because they’re usually out of direct sunlight in stable environments, but they can still benefit from occasional maintenance.

The use of an artificial leather conditioner will make a big difference in preserving figures that have costumes made from pleather.

This! Same applies to your leather seats in the car which gets a lot of beating from the sun...

Not a dumb question. Ultraviolet light from sunlight causes paint degradation and color fading not to mention plasticization fumes (sticky plastic parts, usually soft plastic) that's why it's a good idea to have your display away from windows. By closed window sill, do you mean closed from sunlight or just closed shut but with glass window panes? If it has to be next to windows due to real estate restrictions, I would apply those UV blocking home window tints. Helps keep the room insulated and block you and your collection from harmful UV rays.

Thanks so much! I'm moving into a new place at the end of the month, and the room in which I'd display my figs has some pretty large windows -- just glass window panes, nothing fancy. :) The light in the room is amazing, but I'll look into some UV tints.

Thanks again!

Since we're on the topic of figure-care, which one is worse for a figure...warm temperature OR humidity?

IMG-20190606-WA0008.jpg

Has anyone experience this kind of issue on diecast Iron Man? Those who has experienced it, can you share how to prevent diecast surface from getting worse? Any method to stop it? Thanks

Id wax the metal material. It acts as a barrier against oxygen. Thats why people wax their cars, especially those who live in coastal areas. Wax prevents the paint from deteriorating/fading, which is accelerated by the salt in the air. I live in SF Bay Area and its highly suggested to do that here.

Id wax the metal material. It acts as a barrier against oxygen. Thats why people wax their cars, especially those who live in coastal areas. Wax prevents the paint from deteriorating/fading, which is accelerated by the salt in the air. I live in SF Bay Area and its highly suggested to do that here.

Yeah, will have to start doing this. My only concern is it changing the overall look to extremely glossy even the weathered or simulated wear and tear parts. Thoughts?

Yeah, will have to start doing this. My only concern is it changing the overall look to extremely glossy even the weathered or simulated wear and tear parts. Thoughts?

I've never put anything on my figures, but I have a car with matte paint and use a matte ceramic coating so it doesn't become glossy. Could possibly work on figures.

https://www.drbeasleys.com/matte-paint-coating.html

Back