Heroes or Villains? Who Rules Your Shelves?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZE_501

Super Freak
CF Supporter
Reaction score
I've noticed that some collectors skew heavily towards collecting villainous characters, sometimes even exclusively.

I used to be pretty much 50/50 but more recently find myself with almost all heroes.

My own reasons include limited collection space, a general lack of villainous variety (I'm looking at you, Hot Toys) available, and maintaining the sense of hopeful optimism and general heroics that my tightly edited collection has come to embody.

What about you? Are you using your powers for good, or for awesome? ;)

I guess I’ve never really counted, but I would say it’s probably a little more skewed to Good than Bad; but do Anti-Heroes count as Good Guys or Bad Guys...?

Most collectors are going to be mostly heroes. The reality is the manufacturers don't make very many villains, and not everyone has the skill/resources/ability to customize figures, or are willing to spend ridiculous prices on some custom figures.

When it comes to superheroes figures I definitely prefer the heroes, and the only villains I have right now are Hela and TDK Joker. I think because most of the others just never interested me as much.

I have a much more even mix though when it comes to SW, just because they're all so equally iconic.

I tend toward villains... although I rarely get a villain without a complimentary hero. But I just prefer the villains generally.

I am perfectly willing to get a single hero but have several (or all) the villains to go with him. Like Bond or Indy or Batman. This usually gets balanced out with things like the 5 heroes from GOTG and no real villain available yet.

Star Wars is pretty even split, considering they have so many heroes and villains (not even counting wardrobe changes).

Things that aggravate me as an example: Neo without Smith

Equal opportunity collector here but the tough thing about collecting villains is when they get protos that are never released!

For me, mostly heroes, though I'm not intrigued with too many of available villains out there.

Star Wars is a different animal with all its iconic villains, although granted a lot of them are grunts.

As far as MCU goes, Avengers Loki and Hela are great, but without say ... Yellowjacket, Crossbones or even Ghost I’m not tempted to go all in. Ultron Prime left me a little cold, maybe more so due to the film itself and its character designs which I wasn’t crazy about overall.

Came across a photo of the Crossbones proto HT showed and it looks stellar. WHAT were they thinking sitting on that? Same goes for Yellowjacket.

*Edit: Forgot Red Skull. Great for its time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I tend toward villains... although I rarely get a villain without a complimentary hero. But I just prefer the villains generally.
[...]

Why is that?

I remember you saying something about a “villains only” rule, although I know you have some heroes...

Depends on the franchise, for me villains is my main focus on star wars characters though,
Hot toys doesn’t produce enough villains for any lines and it kind of sucks imho

Why is that?

I remember you saying something about a “villains only” rule, although I know you have some heroes...

Never had a 'villains only' rule. I may have said 'villains rule' at some point. Most villains that I love have complimentary heroes that I also love. I can't imagine having Joker without a Batman or Vader without a Luke, etc... but I almost always prefer the villain to the hero.

Perhaps that comment was in one of the MCU threads where I wanted a villain but not the hero. Like with Crossbones.

You like it the bad boys, eh? Bad boys are very gooood, eh? I get you some bad boys.

:lol

Bad boys, bad boys, whatcha gonna do...

i wanted to proudly say "villains mostly" but...
Robocop shelf, T1 shelf, T2 shelf with , Predator & Alien shelf, TMNT shelf, unsorted shelf.
so it's 50/50 :(
safer to say the principle is "non-humans only" but even that would be only 90/10 due to that "complimentary heroes" rule Wor-Gar describes.

1/6 Marvel: villain selection sucks :p Probably 80% heroes, although I do have 6 Chitauri.

1/6 SW: better with Empire stuff, prob 50/50.

1/4 Marvel: I have 5 heroes, and 6 villains. After current orders arrive, will be 7 to 7.

1:1 Marvel: have 2 villain busts currently ordered. :D

Heroes. I’ve got Jedi Luke, ANH Han, Leia, and Chewie, ESB Yoda, TFA Rey and BB8, Neo, DX05 Indy, DX12 Batman, and DX06 Jack Sparrow, but only ESB Vader and DX11 Joker for the villains.

Mostly villains for me: out of the 19 1/6 figures I currently have on display, 14 are villains. They usually simply visually appeal more to me than the heroes. This holds particularly true for Star Wars, which makes up half of my collection.

Funnily enough, the scattered few 1/4 and 6-7 inch figures are mostly heroes for some reason. So when grouping everything together, it evens out to about 50/50.

You forgot anti heroes....

Tyler Durdan?
V from V for Vendetta
Lady Death
Maleficent?
Jack Sparrow?

No sure which side of the bread they are on?

Sent from the inside of a giant slug in outer space.....

You forgot anti heroes....

Tyler Durdan?
V from V for Vendetta
Lady Death
Maleficent?
Jack Sparrow?

No sure which side of the bread they are on?

Sent from the inside of a giant slug in outer space.....

An interesting question. I’d add Catwoman to that, probably a few more I can’t think of.*

*edit: John Wick.

Guess that’s the edge of the bread.

(See what I did there?)

I am perfectly willing to get a single hero but have several (or all) the villains to go with him. Like Bond or Indy or Batman. This usually gets balanced out with things like the 5 heroes from GOTG and no real villain available yet.

Star Wars is pretty even split, considering they have so many heroes and villains (not even counting wardrobe changes).

Things that aggravate me as an example: Neo without Smith

:gah:

Back