Help needed from Harry Potter Fans please....

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adoptedscot

You wish it, I dish it...
CF Supporter
Reaction score
Hi All,:wave

Having never seen nor read any of the Harry Potter films or books I wondered if it is something I would enjoy and follow okay, are they as good as people say?

How many of them are there?
Should I read the books before watching the films?

I always have a lot of time on my hands (unless i have visitors) and depending on how i'm feeling , I thought I might have a look and see what all the hype is about.
Are they easy to follow? the books and films or is it like reading Tolkien.

Please let me know your thoughts/comments, they will be a great help.

Please forgive my niaivity, I know nothing about HP
Many thanks everyone
Shell
x:D

Hiya,

You should most definatley read the Harry Potter books!! Among the best books I've ever read! They are not at all as "hard" as Tolkiens books, They are in fact "childrens books". Though the later books I must say I don't think are, but they are very easy to follow

The seventh book is just about to come out, next monday. You should of course read the books before seeing the films! they are in my opinion much much much better. the movies (atleast Order of the pheonix and Goblef of Fire) don't got the true "feelings" of the books. They leave out extremley much!

All in all I think you really should read the books! If you got the time you really have nothing to lose!

I kid you not, I never seen any of them, dont even know how many there are, I know 'where have i been 'or 'what rock have i been living under' will be said but seriously its true, dont know nothing about them.
x :monkey3

I dont see why not, its not gonna kill you to pick up the first book or rent the movie.

Give it a try.

I actually ordered books 1-6 from Amazon last week and they're scheduled to arrive tomorrow. I've enjoyed all the HP movies thus far but I always felt like I was missing a lot of detail while watching the movies. Therefore, I decided to finally read the books and I hope I'll have a better understanding and appreciation of the movies.

Shell: I don't know what your reading preferences are. But I've been a read-a-holic since I discovered that the squiggles on a page meant words and ideas and entirely new worlds, both in real life as well as in the imagination. I too avoided HP for years. And only when the first movie was due to premier did I go to my library to pick up the first one -- curious what all the hub-bub from my friends (some of them college profs) was about for a "kids book." From the very first page, I was enchanted and I've never looked back. And what's kept me passionate about them is that Harry and his pals are allowed to grow up more and more in each successive book and, even more important, his world expands accordingly to reflect the ever-complex world that he's in.

Would definitely read them....but would recommend seeing the movies first (at least through #5 -- the current one in theaters). Then pick up the books. There will be a total of 7; the last one goes on sale this coming Saturday. Enjoy!

Start with Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (year one) and unless you hate it, continue with HP and the Chamber of Secrets. By year 3 -- Prisoner of Azkaban -- JK Rowling hits her stride.

Then it's Goblet of Fire, Order of the Pheonix, Half-Blood Prince and finally Deathly Hallows.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/browse....=1184540334/ref=tr_314121/026-5863197-3481239

And congratulations! Not only do you have the opertunity to read them on your timetable without waiting years and years for JK, but you also have the chance to read all the books before seeing any of the movies and coloring your experience. I envy you!

7 books (#7 comes out in like a weekish)
5 movies right now
Read the books first. movies are ok but cut out a lot of the charm.

I saw 1 and 2 first, and didn't EVER want to read the books. After being forced to read them by my wife, I understood. Read!!!!

Thank you so much everyone for all your input.:wave

Its strange but its not that I didnt read or see them for any particuar reason, its just like with POC which I only saw a few weeks ago for the first time.I'm housebound so only get limited views on whats coming so to speak and my memory sux so I always forget unless its something ive known about for years for example spiderman,FF4. I'm still waiting for their latest editions to be released on DVD do I can see them.

So years roll on and i'm in my little cave, but the other day for some reason I couldnt get HP out of my head.I think I saw on the news that the pre-orders of the new book has set some sort of record so I thought to meself I wonder what its like??!!......
....and here we are.

Thanks gdb, that list helps, so I know what order to watch them in.
I think I may try the films first, i'll have a look, see where i can get them and the books

Thanks again everyone, much apopreciated :duff :bow
Shell
x

I sceptically read the 1st one after much encouragement, then I was hooked.

I know you would love these Shell, they are no where near as difficult to read as LOTR.

Colin

I read the first three books in one day. They are very addicting. I would suggest reading them all. People give them a bad name saying that they're "evil" because they have "witchcraft" and such in them. But the underflying theme with all the books is Love and that for me, is a powerful theme; one in which makes the books great.

Back