Action Figure 3A Doom Marine

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fett42

Super Freak
Reaction score
3A Doom Marine

The Doom Marine stands 13.2-Inches (33.6 cm) tall and features 27 points of articulation
Each Edition Includes:
3 Sets of Interchangeable Hands
Plasma Rifle
Combat Shotgun
Super Shotgun
Bethesda Store Exclusive Chainsaw

Price: $260 at Bambaland and Bethesda

https://store.bethsoft.com/doom-marine-16th-scale-collectible-exclusive-edition.html

etc-doom-marineexclusive-spread.jpg

etc-doom-marineexclusive-praetorsuit.jpg

etc-doom-marineexclusive-plasmarifle.jpg

etc-doom-marineexclusive-shotgun.jpg

etc-doom-marineexclusive-supershotgun.jpg

etc-doom-marineexclusive-chainsaw.jpg

Shame 3A is doing it.

I agree. 3A has a terrible track record with quality. I have some of their original creations and the quality definitely got worse over time. I'm not even really happy with this the Doom Marine looks to be honest. It is a recreation from the game, but something about it doesn't look quite right to me. I think it is the paint, but I'm not sure. Different lighting might make it looks better in my eyes. To me it just looks like a 6 inch action figure that was blown up to 13 inches. The weapons look pretty good though.

I agree. 3A has a terrible track record with quality. I have some of their original creations and the quality definitely got worse over time. I'm not even really happy with this the Doom Marine looks to be honest. It is a recreation from the game, but something about it doesn't look quite right to me. I think it is the paint, but I'm not sure. Different lighting might make it looks better in my eyes. To me it just looks like a 6 inch action figure that was blown up to 13 inches. The weapons look pretty good though.

Many many people are all in the same boat nowadays with 3A. I've only dealt with them personally just once, their "customer service" and it was the worst experience I've ever had with dealing with a company. Never, ever, again.

Weapons look solid yeah.

Something about this looks off to me as well. Not sure if it's the colors, the overall look of the body (joint placement), or the $260 price tag, but I'm out.

My main worry for this release is the paint. Their recent Halo figures and Ultron have all had really awful production paintjobs that didn't match up to the prototypes—and the prototype doesn't even look that great here. I think they will avoid the articulation issues of the Halo line, provided the arms are solid here. The legs look like they're either solid plastic or separate amour pieces, so we won't have to deal with any of that ratchet joint + rubber suit garbage.

The sculpt is not crisp enough, no mixed media but straight sculpted. Its amazing for $60 price point but $260 is Hell NO.......

Its looks like cheap toy.

Yeah, I'm not touching anything from 3A without talking to people that have it in hand.

Even looking at that photo and seeing how its standing sends up red flags. Looks like he's not balanced very well. It also looks much too much like a toy instead of a high quality sculpted figure.

It will probably be mixed-media. The torso and arms will likely be rubber on top of a plastic body, as with the Halo line. I say this because the figure has to have elbow bend, but we can't see a naked joint here, so the must be a rubber sleeve over each arm. It is better that the legs are separate molded pieces—the Halo line was actually a mixed-media suit over a complete 1/6-scale body and it was a disaster because the suit severely restricted poseability and made them hard to stand up.

I agree that the $260 price is far too high; the problem is that ThreeA is pricing it so that it is reasonable with the member's discount taken into account. People with 3AA memberships can buy this from their store at 15% off, which brings the price to $221 with worldwide shipping. I don't like that price either, but it fits in better with the rest of the 1/6-scale market.

All of that aside, I won't be buying this. I really enjoyed the game and actually wanted a figure, but ThreeA's recent licensed figures have been awful. The company is too much of a gamble for me.

Damn, I had really been looking forward to this, and had hoped 3A would have avoided many of the issues that have plagues their previous armored figures.

It appears they've gone for the seamless rubber suit look again (at least in regards to the arms and torso), which is going to severely hinder articulation. Their Master Chief figure had the same issue.

The proportions also look rather "off". Either the shoulders are too large or the upper torso isn't bulky enough. The hips and groin don't look great either.

Doomguy was always going to be a difficult figure to create; his build is very bulky, and when you add the additional factor of the suit of armor, what with it's large pauldrons and so forth, you get a very limited degree of articulation. In my opinion, their mistake was going for the seamless look for the suit, as they did with their Master Chief. While visible joints are not ideal, you can still get a damn good looking figure if they are designed correctly. The seamless rubber suit is going to severely limit articulation and will likely deteriorate over time.

Case and point: the NECA 18" Master Chief figure. It looks great, despite the high number of visible joints, and because they opted for visible joints as opposed to the seamless "realistic" look the figure has great articulation. I myself would have preferred it if NECA had the DOOM license. I think they could have made a great Doomguy figure that would have been more affordable, and had better articulation.

A shame, really. I loved the new game, and really wanted a nice Doomguy figure. Hopefully someday we get a decent Doomguy, regardless of scale.

Shame 3A is doing it.

:lol

It looks good but when you get it in hand ... that's another thing, huh?

It appears they've gone for the seamless rubber suit look again (at least in regards to the arms and torso), which is going to severely hinder articulation. Their Master Chief figure had the same issue.

The proportions also look rather "off". Either the shoulders are too large or the upper torso isn't bulky enough. The hips and groin don't look great either.

I disagree. Their Thorne/Spartan Recruit figures had much better articulation in the arms than Chief, the core had just enough wiggle-room to allow for more lifelike posing, and the knees had a brilliant double-bend. So ThreeA can do some decent articulation with a full suit, and they have improved since Chief. However, the thigh joints have been a problem with every figure in the Halo line: the ratchet joints simply aren't strong enough to overcome the resistance of a rubber undersuit, so the figures cannot move their legs very much.

If you look at the legs in these shots, it seems like they are separate pieces attached to the torso at the thigh. Alternatively there may still be an oversized 1/6-scale body underneath the suit, but the rubber suit on top is completely cut at the thighs. Either way, it means we will avoid the articulation problems that Chief suffered from, provided the body under the suit is strong. It also seems like the arms are separate pieces or a separate part of the suit as well.

I agree with you about the proportions. To me, the pauldrons look a little too large, and the legs are a bit short. I feel like the torso should also be straighter down the sides, but it's hard to tell from this angle. All that said, the Praetor Suit's proportions are pretty wacky anyway, and honestly the in-game model looks like an action figure as it is:

latest

So I don't understand the criticism that it looks too much like a toy.

Looks ok, proportions are way off though.

Paint looks fantastic, but is it rubber? If it's rubber it's an easy pass, it's probably rubber since they're not even trying to pose it :lol

Guns look amazing, damn.

If it's not rubber $260 shipped is a good price in today's market.

Will wait for the classic one, they have to do it.

I disagree. Their Thorne/Spartan Recruit figures had much better articulation in the arms than Chief, the core had just enough wiggle-room to allow for more lifelike posing, and the knees had a brilliant double-bend. So ThreeA can do some decent articulation with a full suit, and they have improved since Chief. However, the thigh joints have been a problem with every figure in the Halo line: the ratchet joints simply aren't strong enough to overcome the resistance of a rubber undersuit, so the figures cannot move their legs very much.

If you look at the legs in these shots, it seems like they are separate pieces attached to the torso at the thigh. Alternatively there may still be an oversized 1/6-scale body underneath the suit, but the rubber suit on top is completely cut at the thighs. Either way, it means we will avoid the articulation problems that Chief suffered from, provided the body under the suit is strong. It also seems like the arms are separate pieces or a separate part of the suit as well.

I agree with you about the proportions. To me, the pauldrons look a little too large, and the legs are a bit short. I feel like the torso should also be straighter down the sides, but it's hard to tell from this angle. All that said, the Praetor Suit's proportions are pretty wacky anyway, and honestly the in-game model looks like an action figure as it is:

So I don't understand the criticism that it looks too much like a toy.

Thorne is an IMPROVEMENT over Chief but in no way a quality, expensive sixth scale figure. Their latest Destiny figure is still mostly un-poseable. I am interested to see how the Warlock and Hunter figure turn out though since they only have cloth suits around most of the articulation points.

I didn't mean Thorne was high-quality all around. I meant to say that the arm, torso and knee articulation is what I would expect from a good 1/6-scale figure in a rubber suit. The legs, detail, paintjob and QC were not up to standard, but that articulation was.

Will wait for the classic one, they have to do it.

I wouldn't hold my breath. Don't know if this one will be a big seller, which may discourage 3A from revisiting the license.

Shame. A classic Doom line complete with demons would've been a dream come true.

Shame. A classic Doom line complete with demons would've been a dream come true.
I don't know why not even Funko has done it, at this point in time it would sell really well with us the old fans of the series.

I don't even know why 3A wouldn't start with a Classic Doomguy, it was more down Ash's alley, mixed media, cloth and plastic, weathered, it would've sold instantly, THEN they could've done the new one and the new fans, completionists and some of the old fans who like the new design (like myself) would get it.

Back