Would you get a statue/figure you don't like of a haracter you like/know?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you get a statue/figure you don't like of a haracter you like/know?

• Only if the character is exceptional

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

potato

Super Freak
Reaction score
To me, the most important part of getting a figure/statue is that they have to look good, whether or not it's a character I know or like doesn't matter too much, most important is i need to like that item & price is within my budget.

And if i don't know the characters of a figure i like, I would go on google and find some info, not just to "Get to know more" about the figure but to figure out the price I should be paying for since i don't know the character i'm not aware of it's value, sometimes they turn out dirt cheap to my surprise, sometimes uber expensive that i just give up.

I know many people only collect characters they like/know, they can have 10 pieces of Hot Toys Batman sitting in the same detolf cabinet like they don't have enough air, or 5 Jokers which more or less looks alike, for me I unless it's a Soldier built i would get maybe the best 2 looking of the same figure at most.

Whether I like the character or not is not a priority, if you only accept characters you know/like, how would you expand your hobbies by knowing more characters that you may like? And what is the point of collecting all the statues/figures of a character you absolutely love if some of them look bad and price wise doesn't justify what you are getting? Doesn't it feel like a heavy commitment buying every release of a character you like? Are you even that committed to your spouse or partner?

For me it's about buying something you like, sure it's cool to collect all merchandise of your favorite Super Man but understand it's a long hard road because unlike Stamps or Artworks companies churn out toy merchandise because they know whatever low quality item they come out someone will buy it, maybe not collectors like me but some soccer mom would.

When i buy a statue/figure, i can get attached to the item itself, it's not compulsory i need to know the character name or get attached to the character itself. I mean how many folks actually know the person in the portraits they paid over millions for? They might know the name if it's written on the painting or given a title but how much do they know about them, and how much do they know about the painters themselves?

lol, i did a double take on this topic as it was right next to a topic with almost the same name. It gave me brainfreeze lol

Depends on how bad it is. I wouldnt buy something ugly. I would though buy something that maybe wasnt rendered quite like I'd normally like. Case in point, my Ralph Hinkley Greatest American Hero "Tooned Up" Statue by Electric Tiki. Its pretty cool but Id have chosen a realistic version over it. Same goes for size... I like the larger statues best but if somethings small and really cool Im in.

I would never keep a piece I don't like, period. Does not matter if it is a character I like. Nothing is going to be perfect so you sometimes have to accept small issues and enjoy the piece as a whole. I have sold plenty of pieces due to them just not looking how I want in person. I have also kept pieces I had no prior knowledge of the character due to how well the statue/figure was done.

Yeah I wanna get HT Deadpool and Ant-Man and haven't even seen the latter or know much at all about the former lol. The figures just look awesome and because of them I will watch the films and read up about the characters now.

No, I wouldn't. A few years ago, when I was only collecting figures of one character (Loki), I might have. But now that I've expanded my collection, I can't afford nor do I have the room for every iteration of the characters I like. Especially if I don't love the figure/statue being released.

nah there is very limited space for statues.
Biggest disappointment for me would be the Sideshow Mass Effect Shepard. The armor detail looked great but the pose was maybe the strangest one they've ever chosen for a male figure.

I'm almost sort of guilty of this.

I got into buying Hot Toys a little over a year ago, and it was the quality of the clothing and realism of the head sculpts that got me into it. If they weren't 'movie versions', I probably wouldn't buy them. I wouldn't buy non movie Premium Format Figures for instance. It's probably fair to say the likenesses have improved that much, that 3 years ago I wouldn't have been interested. The original MMS Terminator figures I think look terrible. I'm not even sure I like the newer DX-10 or the similar MMS figure from T2 that much either.

But.. (here's the but...) although I originally intended to only ever get one of each MCU character I bought, I've got a bit of a thing for the Thor universe. A lot would say it is the weakest part of the MCU, and most agree that the Captain America series is the best part, but I have a soft spot for the Thor characters, particularly Loki.

So, although The Dark World Thor was my first, and going to be my only Thor figure, I convinced myself when I got the Loki counterpart that I needed the AoU Thor for my Avenger lineup (most of the rest are AoU anyway)... next thing I'm shopping for the two oldest Thor figures from asian websites I've never heard of.

I do genuinely like all of them in their own way, but there's no doubt that the 'Avengers' version is boring and unnecessary next to the TDW and AoU figures, and the original 'Thor' version is just a really bad figure compared to the newer versions. The proportions are bad. The hair piece is terrible (looks best with the helmet on) and the materials just look cheap in comparison.. I just wouldn't buy the first Black Widow figure just to "collect Black Widows" for instance. I might get one of the old Iron Man figures, but I'd leave the helmet on because the old ones just don't look like RDJr. The list goes on.. but I made an exception for Thor.

Newest from left to right. I think each newer figure gets better than the last.

DSC_0240.jpg

Back