Would you get a statue of a character you didn't know/like?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

• Yes, the look of the figure is all that matters

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Only if the figure looked exceptional

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • No, I need to learn about a character before investing in a statue

Votes: 12 54.5%

• Total voters

dendory

Freakzoid
Reaction score
To me, one of the main rules I use to decide whether to get a piece or not is that I need to know and relate to the character it represents. I would not get a figure of a character I don't know, even if the piece looked nice.

But I often see YouTube videos of people who don't even know the name of the characters they have statues of, so I'm wondering how important this is for others.

I have gotten some w/o full knowledge or on impulse, but keeping them depends on how they grow on me after seeing them in person and/or learning more about the character afterwards. Can't say I never knew the actual name though like some youtubers you mentioned.

I think another interesting question would be if someone would KEEP a statue of a character unknown to them beforehand and not bother with anything beyond the actual statue itself. I think that is more along the lines of what you are asking as there are plenty of impulse/influenced buyers too who may sell them off quick after having them for a short time.

I own two PF statues. Daredevil and Captain America. Daredevil became my favorite comic character of all time. I thought his run from "98 to the end of Shadowland was the greatest run of all time. I needed to own some DD stuff and the PF captures DD perfectly for me. My second PF is Captain America. I love reading the World War 2 comics about him. My favorite time period in history with an awesome super hero. His WW2 attire, his comics, his two solo movie all factored into my decision to get his PF.

Before reading Daredevil I never would have bought his PF. If I didn't have such a liking to WW2 I never would have bought Caps PF. I only buy statues where I have a great like for the character.

I am thinking about getting some other PFs such as Thor, but I never really read any of his comics. I don't have a liking for him, he is just another superhero to me. It looks cool, but since I don't have that connection with Thor as I do the other two..... I probably will pass on it. Another one is the PF comic Superman. That is the quintessential Superman collectible in my eyes. It is perfect. I love that PF. But, I am not a big Superman fan. Never read the comics, hated MoS and the Reeves movies. My only connection to Superman is the Justice League show I used to watch. Not enough to make me buy it, even though I think it is the best Superman piece and possibly SSC best PF.

I don't why people buy something because it looks cool. Seems like you are trying to impress someone, impulse buying, or don't know what pieces you really love to blindly buy a character with no knowledge or connection to them.

Can't you just like something because it looks cool? Whats so wrong about that? It's like buying framed art, clothes, make up...nothing wrong with that.

Can't you just like something because it looks cool? Whats so wrong about that? It's like buying framed art, clothes, make up...nothing wrong with that.

To each their own.
For me, display space for the statue and storage space for the box means I'd never consider wasting either for a character I didn't like or know.

Can understand buying a statue of a character you don't know, because it looks cool, but who'd buy one of a character they disliked?

There's not much more than you can do other than look at a statue so it looking cool is a good start.

Who would spend hundreds of dollars on a piece of polystone to 'impress someone'? :cuckoo:

I don't why people buy something because it looks cool. Seems like you are trying to impress someone...

Never. When people come over and ask who that figure is, I always have stories to tell and why I think said character is in my collection and in turn, I think the figure does says some things about me. I can't do that with a character I don't know about, regardless how cool it looks.

I didn't know anything about the movie Suckerpunch but bought one of the five girls (Blonde). It was a work of art in which I ended up completing the set - no regrets to this day. The pieces are from Gentle Giant.

I'd have to know something about the character to want to pay 100's of $ for something. All of what I currently own (in this hobby) I have a connection to or at the very least am familiar with.

If I saw something to good to pass up completely ignorant of the character, price pending, I might buy it if I could justify the purchase...

Nope. There are better ways to burn a few hundred bucks and a few square feet of space.

SnakeDoc

People buy statues all the time that get hyped and they know nothing of the character. Just look at Lobo.

Absolutely not. All my figures have some form of fanboy sentiment attached to them, or at the very least they are "completing a set" (in the case of half my Avengers). Even in the case of collecting a set, I've chosen versions I like the look of. And.. with the exception of my older Thors, I'd like to think the rest are reasonably accurate head-sculpts.

At one time I would collect figures (HT 1/6) to complete a series such as the Mandarin for the Iron Man 3 series, but eventually sold them because if I am not emotionally connected to them there's no point spending the money.

I thought Lobo was one of DC's most popular characters. He's like Deadpool in popularity. Everyone loves Lobo.
And what of those statues that have no pop culture history.

Back