Is sideshow pricing making you reconsider this hobby?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IS SIDESHOW PRICING MAKING YOU RECONSIDER THIS HOBBY?

• YES

Votes: 122 76.3%
  • NO

Votes: 38 23.8%

• Total voters

Collectorcol

Super Freak
Reaction score
Prices have been steadily rising, fact of life. Sideshow seem to have their own idea of inflation.
With the new Modern Thor PF being priced at $439.99...

Is Sideshows pricing making you reconsider buying their products?

I think in general everything has gone up in pricing sadly. Just how things have been going. I'm not complaining much about it but if an item I think is worth less and is priced high I will not buy it at all. It all depends on what you think the piece is worth and what Sideshow sells. If you think everything is priced to high than just don't buy. If you don't mind it than keep no buying. I'm pretty picky so I only buy what should be in my collection.

There has been a HUGE rise though. How can they go from $400 to $440 in one hit?
CR Sups was more expensive because of a donation to his charity but this is totally unreasonable imo.

I'm glad my room is pretty full because i'm seriously reconsidering this hobby.

I know Bowens are 1/6th but their prices have been the same for the last 5 years. I understand its 1/6th but you cannot even begin to argue that SS's Idea of inflation is disgusting. Statues I paid $200-300 for years ago were better quality and cheaper ..... I think SS is trying to see how much people are willing to pay. The Modern Thor was a 1st day buy for me a week ago. After seeing $440 and Odinsword as the EX I will be passing on this. What a let down

I replaced my Bowen collection with SS a year ago ........ now I am starting to regret my decision.

As a new collector to this its kind of disheartening to see the prices going up. Granted I've been purchasing 1/6 figures so they are still relatively affordable but seeing some of these PF prices hurts. Wish I had jumped into this hobby a few years earlier.

I think hot toys does the same thing, look at the bank robber joker from 2009, just 5 years ago with all the extras, much much cheaper than today's releases and today's mms releases come with far fewer extras, these days you're lucky if you get a extra head ( yes some do but not as many as back in the naughties) I understand inflation is a issue but sometimes it feels like they are saying 'bump it up a extra 20, people will still pay. Sideshow seem to be doing the same.

It definitely is, I've minimized my collection and may be getting out completely. I'm down to the Mythos, some eFX helmets and SSC Emperor statues/busts.
Mythos was the only line that interested me and now it may be done, possibly the RMQ line but the pricing is making me want out. I'm not hurting for cash but it's hard to justify spending the amount I do on collectibles sometimes, especially when the price is going up monthly.

Absolutely. I've only been in it for 3-4 years, but in that time I went from paying in the low 300's to mid-to-high 300's and even $500 for the Indy Pursuit of the Ark, which is just an over-glorified PF. My wife thought it expensive when I paid 325 for ToD Indy and Jack Sparrow and some others. Now that base price AND shipping is up, it is taking away from the enjoyment as they quickly are rising to a tier of collecting that is usually reserved for other art. I mean some pieces are the price of nice paintings...like the Legendary Scale ones. Thank God real estate for these is not that expansive at my house, since that helps keep me in check. But I've only ordered 1 new PF this year so far, as opposed to 3 around this time last year.

No

Statues aren't released anywhere near as regularly as say Hot Toys figures so while they're sub £500 I'm still game

No

Statues aren't released anywhere near as regularly as say Hot Toys figures so while they're sub £500 I'm still game

You must have deep pockets with the 20% ontop of these inflated prices.

International shipping has seen a huge price rise also.

Last edited:
Its not so much the price rise on its own but the fact that their quality control and paint apps are so average.
If you're going to charge more, up your game !

I'm close to out of this hobby now. Almost everything has been sold and I buy MAYBE 1 piece a year so I don't particular care about the individual prices.

I thought $425 was high on the Reeve superman PF even considering the donation, but today after seeing the $440 price revealed on the Thor PF this is absolutely ridiculous. With the absolutely awful QC I have seen of late (a 51% fail rate on the Batman PF according to StatueForum members) this price hike is completely unacceptable. I am not really considering leaving the collecting hobby per say, but after the $440 price announcement I will not be purchasing any more Sideshow products from this point forward. There are many other companies out there that produce far better quality products for much cheaper prices. Once enough people stop purchasing PFs from Sideshow other companies will obtain licenses for 1/4 scale pieces as well.

Yes!!! Prices are getting higher and shipping is gonna put this Thor at $500 for me **** that!!! And then it's gonna arrive damaged anyway! And that's only from shipping 2 hours away.

Honestly, I'm a pretty fortunate person. I consider myself to be pretty much ahead of the game in life. I really can't say that I can't afford these new price increases. However, that doesn't mean I just want to toss away my dollars to SSC for no reason. That's exactly what it's starting to feel like nowadays with their ever increasing prices and lame EXs. I guess I'm just getting to the point of asking myself if this is even worth it as far as SSC is concerned.

The kicker is that I'm a HUGE Marvel freak and the only thing that is consistently exciting me recently is SSC's DC pieces. The DC pieces for the most part are all pretty cool. The Marvel license has been inconsistent and frustrating as hell for me personally. Never cared for the cloth used on most of the early marvel pieces. I started collecting Coms as I'm a big fan of fully sculpted pieces but seriously wished they were all 1/4 pieces instead of 1/5 scale. Now the Marvel Com line is all but dead because SSC wants to focus on its more profitable PFs. The Marvel line is a complete mess as far as I'm concerned because of all this. Factor in these ridiculous price increases (along with my frustration over the Marvel license) and I'm really getting close to the point of saying... F it!

way too high. At $300 I would have bought at least 4 more pieces. At 400 I skipped Batman and got superman and ww. Above $400 there is nothing else that warrants that much money other than a new thanos or doomsday. At least for me, they lose money with this pricing because now I have only 3 statues and not 8. It's not about the total, its about a feeling that you get enough in return for what you spent. 2K for 3 statues (canadian) is beyond ridiculous.

Honestly, I'm a pretty fortunate person. I consider myself to be pretty much ahead of the game in life. I really can't say that I can't afford these new price increases. However, that doesn't mean I just want to toss away my dollars to SSC for no reason. That's exactly what it's starting to feel like nowadays with their ever increasing prices and lame EXs. I guess I'm just getting to the point of asking myself if this is even worth it as far as SSC is concerned.

The kicker is that I'm a HUGE Marvel freak and the only thing that is consistently exciting me recently is SSC's DC pieces. The DC pieces for the most part are all pretty cool. The Marvel license has been inconsistent and frustrating as hell for me personally. Never cared for the cloth used on most of the early marvel pieces. I started collecting Coms as I'm a big fan of fully sculpted pieces but seriously wished they were all 1/4 pieces instead of 1/5 scale. Now the Marvel Com line is all but dead because SSC wants to focus on its more profitable PFs. The Marvel line is a complete mess as far as I'm concerned because of all this. Factor in these ridiculous price increases (along with my frustration over the Marvel license) and I'm really getting close to the point of saying... F it!

It's not about the money entirely, it's about the principal of the thing. We just paid $400 for Superman/Batman/Wonder Woman/Catwoman/Sinestro and others. There is no reason for this to be $40 more, and you can't tell me it's inflation, it doesn't happen that fast.

I'll be honest I voted yes but I'll always collect statues. I'm just not sure if they'll be from Sideshow.
The question was related directly to Sideshow.
It's not about the money entirely, it's about the principal of the thing. We just paid $400 for Superman/Batman/Wonder Woman/Catwoman/Sinestro and others. There is no reason for this to be $40 more, and you can't tell me it's inflation, it doesn't happen that fast.
:exactly: An extra $25, $50 now isn't really going to hurt anyone the question where does it end?
$1,000 1:4 statue?

https://www.sideshowtoy.com/collectibles/predator-2-predator-2-sideshow-collectibles-300159/ :slap

Back