Favorite films of the 1950s

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adolfo

Super Freak
Reaction score
The Quiet Man and the Searchers are my 50s picks favorites

I love War of the Worlds, Ben Hur, Ten Commandments, anything John ford, the Gunfighter, Shane, Qui Vadis, Demetrius and the Gladiators, The Robe,etc

#1 for me is Singing in the Rain. I can't even begin to tell you how much I love this movie.

Also The Day the Earth Stood Still, On the Water Front, The Wild One (Brando films), and Rebel Without a Cause.

Bridge over the River Quai the day the earth stood still

#1 for me is Singing in the Rain. I can't even begin to tell you how much I love this movie.

The 50s really brought out the big colorful musicals, Godzilla Beast from 20000 fathoms and any Harryhausen flick

Ben Hur
The Ten Commandments
Seven Samurai
Creature from the Black Lagoon
Gojira/Godzilla
Horror of Dracula
Curse of Frankenstein
The Mummy
7th Voyage of Sinbad

The Searchers
High Noon
Forbidden Planet
The Day the Earth Stood Still
Invasion of the Body Snatchers
The Thing From Another World
Creature From the Black Lagoon
The King and I
Seven Samurai
Throne of Blood
The Hidden Fortress
On the Waterfront
The Wild One
The Seventh Seal
Scrooge
Dial M for Murder
Rear Window
Vertigo
North by Northwest

very good....forgot about a few of those...Picnic,Streetcar named Desire, Winchester 76, The Silver Chalice

A place in the Sun...Elizabeth Taylor in that film is my sexiest babe on screen all time for me...Goddess

The Hitchcock stuff make up my 50s favorites, as well, though I also love Singin in the Rain, Seven Samurai, some of the great Bergman stuff, High Noon, Billy Wilder's stuff, Bridge on the River Kwai, the African Queen, and one of the most disturbing, moody movies of the time--Night of the Hunter.

Oh yes Bergman. Was Seventh Seal part of the 50s? If so, I would add that to the general list.

... Yes. 1957.

My mistake. TheObsoleteMan already mentioned it. Oh well.

The Hitchcock stuff make up my 50s favorites, as well, though I also love Singin in the Rain, Seven Samurai, some of the great Bergman stuff, High Noon, Billy Wilder's stuff, Bridge on the River Kwai, the African Queen, and one of the most disturbing, moody movies of the time--Night of the Hunter.

Can't believe I forgot to list The African Queen. :slap

Oh yes Bergman. Was Seventh Seal part of the 50s? If so, I would add that to the general list.

... Yes. 1957.

My mistake. TheObsoleteMan already mentioned it. Oh well.
Yeah. Wild Strawberries was from the '50s, as well. Virgin Spring almost makes the cut (1960).

Can't believe I forgot to list The African Queen. :slap
That's one that succeeds simply due to the great performances IMO. Despite that fact that it is (rightly) hailed as a classic, the story and motivations were a little ridiculous at times. Unlike River Kwai. I totally could understand a guy like Guinness behaving the way he did at the end of the film.

Back