Long term storage in detolfs, viable or bad idea?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cingen

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hey all! :)

Lately I've heared some people mention that storing Hot Toys and the likes in detolfs destroys them over time and that other cases keep them well preserved. I didn't believe these claims at all, but since I plan to keep the hot toys I buy for a LONG time (10 years + if possible, I love these things with a passion since I am a movie freak and want to display them in my home cinema room once I get around to getting one) I sort of got worried.. Do detolf cabines really make it impossible to preserve the toys? If so, why?

I'd love some "first hand" reports of people who stored their figures in a detolf for a LONG time if possible aswel :)

Thanks in advance!

I don't think it's the display method that "destroys" anything over time. It probably has more to do with exposure to UV rays. If you keep anything in a well lit room colors will fade and plastic will brittle.

I don't think it's the display method that "destroys" anything over time. It probably has more to do with exposure to UV rays. If you keep anything in a well lit room colors will fade and plastic will brittle.

I actually keep my curtains closed during the day and open the windows only at night to protect my figures :p Living the life of a vampire to protect my toys, how sad.

I'm personally displaying my figures in Detolfs with few tweaks applied.

1st tweak:
I've applied Sponge isolation tape (Dim: 1/2"T x 1/2"W x 10ft L) to the inner glass edges (See below picture)
https://instagram.com/p/beY72bD0Pa/#

2nd tweak:
I've added the Silica Gel mini bags to absorb any humidity.

3rd tweak:
neatly install IKEA multi-color LEDs.
https://instagram.com/p/beXk13D0My/#

hope this become beneficial to you and all other members :)

I'm personally displaying my figures in Detolfs with few tweaks applied.

1st tweak:
I've applied Sponge isolation tape (Dim: 1/2"T x 1/2"W x 10ft L) to the inner glass edges (See below picture)
https://instagram.com/p/beY72bD0Pa/#

2nd tweak:
I've added the Silica Gel mini bags to absorb any humidity.

3rd tweak:
neatly install IKEA multi-color LEDs.
https://instagram.com/p/beXk13D0My/#

hope this become beneficial to you and all other members :)

Thanks! I have the leds myself :) I'm a bit unsure about making the detolf airtight since I see just as many people saying airtight protect the figures, as I see people saying that airtight may actually damage them. And making it less humid in the cabinet seems unneeded too for me since I live in belgium, not as humid as most eastern countries :)

I actually add a glass of water in my displays. Where I am it is not overly humid but when the heat is on in winter times I am sure the air being too dry won't be a good thing.

Is there such a thing as UV protective film that can be put on the front of these cabinets?
As all mine are in the living room which is constantly well lit

Thanks! I have the leds myself :) I'm a bit unsure about making the detolf airtight since I see just as many people saying airtight protect the figures, as I see people saying that airtight may actually damage them. And making it less humid in the cabinet seems unneeded too for me since I live in belgium, not as humid as most eastern countries :)

There is no way to make the case "airtight" unless you completely seal it and then suck all the gas out, which isn't very realistic. You can minimize air flow and dust by adding something around the edges of the door to fill the gap, but you can never make it a vacuum or anything, which would be the ideal condition particularly for rubber and cloth items (since oxygen can cause deterioration of rubber).

And again the UV light from sun, florescent or incandescent lamps is the biggest culprit in aging/fading rubber or cloth or printed art. The best way to light your display is with LED lights which emit practically no UV rays.

The case isn't the problem. The light is.

Sean

I'm not clued in on different types of light, electrics and so on but I think the primary light in my room is an incandescent bulb. Is that why my T-1000 outfits aren't as deep navy as they used to be?

I'm not clued in on different types of light, electrics and so on but I think the primary light in my room is an incandescent bulb. Is that why my T-1000 outfits aren't as deep navy as they used to be?

If they aren't simply dusty but are faded, then I think it's safe to assume that whatever light you're using has caused some fading.

Sean

incandescent also emits UV, although I believe it is A only, but it over long periods of time it will affect your figures.

If they aren't simply dusty but are faded, then I think it's safe to assume that whatever light you're using has caused some fading.

Sean

I thought perhaps it was just that I didn't de-dust frequently enough but maybe its the damned light. I ran a lint roller over them and the clothes remained faded looking compared to newer T-1000 clothes I acquired.

Is there such a thing as UV protective film that can be put on the front of these cabinets?
As all mine are in the living room which is constantly well lit

Does anyone have an answer to this question?^

Damn, I just hate the idea that my figures are deteriorating in just standing on their shelves.

Last edited:
Well you could try to find a clear window tint like for cars, I've just had the windows in the lounge room I display my figures in done, just so on the weekends I can have some care free natural light in the room, also kills the summer heat. I think there is a clear version available too

Does anyone have an answer to this question?^

Damn, I just hate the idea that my figures are deteriorating in just standing on their shelves.

Yes, as was said, there is window film that protects from UV rays - and that should be fairly easy to fit into a display case. Google "UV film" or something.

Sean

Thanks, I managed to not see that Q answered. I'll bookmark this for future reference. At the moment I'm not in a position to act on your info as I don't even have my final shelves yet.

For a stop-gap solution to the light problem (incandescent room bulb causing fading to figure's/figure's outfits over time) is a Halogen bulb any better?

Back