SSC Eventual Chewbacca

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Memnoch

Lt. Vulture
Reaction score
Ok.. so I got to thinking. We all want Chewie :chew , and we all want real fur (right guys?), but we all know they would need a special body. So has any thought been given to a very skeletal design for the articulated body? What I mean is take the arms, and have them just be articulated sticks basically. It would allow for the fur suit to be done over top and still maintain articulation. The joints would most likely need to be elongated as well to allow for better movement, but this seems to me to be the best idea. The only real issue is finding a way to make the fur hang realistically. My solution there would be to have the fur done in thin layers like so:

HAIR-HAIR-HAIR-HAIR-HAIR
SPACE-SPACE-SPACE-SPACE
HAIR-HAIR-HAIR-HAIR-HAIR
SPACE-SPACE-SPACE-SPACE

Or maybe even have two layers of space to one layer of hair, depending on materials. This should allow for the materials to hang well and not look bulky (Every real fur Hasbro figure). Also I am sure we all know Chewie won't be cheap. On the low estimate I can see about $85, on the high end, about $120. Now please, discuss.

Memnoch21 said:
HAIR-HAIR-HAIR-HAIR-HAIR
SPACE-SPACE-SPACE-SPACE
HAIR-HAIR-HAIR-HAIR-HAIR
SPACE-SPACE-SPACE-SPACE

Problem solved. Get on it Sideshow. :D

Memnoch21 said:
Also I am sure we all know Chewie won't be cheap. On the low estimate I can see about $85, on the high end, about $120. Now please, discuss.

I think after Jabba ($120 for just a vinyl sculpt), we can expect a 15" fully furred articulated Chewbacca to cost $119.99 almost guaranteed.

However, like Jabba, they might do a 15" "vinyl statue" fully furred with no articulation (except maybe ball-socket arms like Jabba). This might be one way to solve the problem -- a mini-PF of sorts.

I saw a real-fur Chewie at Comic Con on display somewhere and it looked just like one that I saw posted here by either Dark Artist or Customikey. I'd like to know how they made theirs. :chew

decadentdave said:
I saw a real-fur Chewie at Comic Con on display somewhere and it looked just like one that I saw posted here by either Dark Artist or Customikey. I'd like to know how they made theirs. :chew

I'd just like to see Josh or Mikey's Chewie. :D

Sorry Wor-Gar, did you make one? The one I was thinking of was probably Pjam's on the Bespin Solo thread.

I think a fur suit would be the best option. But the internal body needs to be highly articulated (fix those darn elbows!) and tall enough to fit Chewie's frame.

Wor-Gar said:
However, like Jabba, they might do a 15" "vinyl statue" fully furred with no articulation (except maybe ball-socket arms like Jabba). This might be one way to solve the problem -- a mini-PF of sorts.

I would not be interested in something like this.

Ditto. I don't collect statues which is why I don't buy Attakus, Gentle Giant, Kotobukiya or the PF figures. I collect fully articulated action figures. Nobody has nailed a fully articulated realistic Chewie yet. I think it is a challenge but it can be done. I like the fur-suit idea. That way a fully articulated skeletal armature could be sewn underneath enabling movement of joints. Granted it would be costly but I think many would agree that the higher cost would be worth it to get a Chewie that delivers on realism and articulation.

Last edited:
I think they will use the fur suit idea but I would expect the price of him to be a little on the high side. I think $99.99 would be a great price for him if he is 15" and is possible. I want him to come with his bandolier, crossbow, breathing mask, and Star Wars and ROTJ portraits. I would easily pay that much if they gave us all of this. I hope he's an inclusive edition though so its easier to order.

I think the only chance we have of seeing a furry Chewie from sideshow will be in PF form.

Darth Rage said:
I think the only chance we have of seeing a furry Chewie from sideshow will be in PF form.

You may be right about that. :monkey2

But I've got hope that Sideshow can make it happen. :monkey3

Chewie is so important to the line that (for me) I'm willing to pay however much I need to (within reason that is) in order to get a fully articulated figure, preferably one with "real" fur.

Darth Rage said:
I would buy one of those too. I just hope he is like only $350. These PF are expensive.

If SSC can mass produce a decent looking real fur Chewie and keep it around $100, I think it would be a miracle. As much as I'd like to, I just don't see this figure happening.

Right now my faith in Sideshow has taken a nose dive. They can't even get the paint and materials right on their existing figures, I'm sure they will botch Chewie. There will probably be some production flaws with Jabba as well.

If they release a plastic 1/6 Chewie, I will not buy it. Imagine how strange a plastic Chewie will look against the rest of the clothed figures...:confused:

JustinLuck said:
If they release a plastic 1/6 Chewie, I will not buy it. Imagine how strange a plastic Chewie will look against the rest of the clothed figures...:confused:

True...but then again the hair on the other figures is all sculpted plastic so there is uniformity there. The joints showing on it would suck tho. My guess would be a fur suit so they could develop a super tall body to use on other figures as well.

Khev said:
Did anyone EVER really believe we'd see a 1/6 scale Jabba the Hutt? I wouldn't put a real fur Chewie past Sideshow.
The only real obstacle for Jabba was the size though. Jabba himself is a fairly simplistic, albeit nicely sculpted, vinyl statue. Mass producing a real fur Chewie would be much more of a headache I'd think.

Back