Classic Movies/Special Showings on the Big Screen

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Ween

Wahooooo!!!!
Reaction score
Just thought I'd start a thread about special showings at theaters. I really enjoyed seeing LotR last year on the big screen, so whenever one hears about specials, marathons, etc. please post them here.

Found this on Cinemark's website. Though there's none near me, I thought maybe some of you movie buffs might be interested. I'm assuming this is just at Cinemark theaters.

https://www.cinemark.com/cinemark-classic-series

I would love to see North by Northwest on the big screen. . .might have to make that happen. Thankfully, that theater is about a 5 minute drive from my house :rock

that's it... that is a really poor selection :(
I would try to do Clockwork Orange for sure, but that's it, I wish they had more movies,

that's it... that is a really poor selection :(
I would try to do Clockwork Orange for sure, but that's it, I wish they had more movies,

The Exorcist is only lame because a ton of theatres already replay that around Halloween every year.

I've never heard of "That's Entertainment", and The Searchers seems like a bit of an odd choice. I never got why people feel it's Wayne's best movie, it's kinda campy and goofy.

Cabaret I don't care about but could see older folks want to go see, but Citizen Kane, Cool Hand Luke, Clockwork, and NbNW are great.

That's Entertainment is a nostalgic compilation of movies. Searchers has a bit of camp I guess by modern standards, but that goes for all of John Ford's films. They are still great IMO.

That's Entertainment is a nostalgic compilation of movies. Searchers has a bit of camp I guess by modern standards, but that goes for all of John Ford's films. They are still great IMO.

I remember seeing That's Entertainment, I think on AMC years ago. I really enjoyed it.

I'm going to try to make it to:
-Citizen Kane
-Cool Hand Luke
-The Searchers
-North by Northwest

I know how revered Clockwork is, but I just can't get into it. I watched it once and that was enough for me. I understand and appreciate what the film was doing, but I can't root for Alex. I really don't feel for his character in the least.

I'm actually with you on that one, batfan. Clockwork is a great film, and is worth watching and thinking about. But like Requiem For A Dream, Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer, or Schindler's List, it isn't a movie I put on often. It is ultimately unpleasant to watch. And the fact that folks have turned Alex into a cult hero is unfortunate in my opinion. I think Kubrick wanted that character to be charismatic and appealing on some level, but juxtaposed with the fact that he is a horrible human being, to give people conflicting emotions on the character and to provoke thought about what it is they were finding appealing about the guy. Cronenberg has done similar things in some of his movies. I think there is definitely a part of Alex that many of us can relate to, but those are not impulses we should embrace or glorify IMO.

Well, I think that, ultimately, Kubrick and, furthermore, Anthony Burgess were trying to craft a thought provoking story about some of the darker aspects of human nature and what happens when any semblance of morality is nonexistent. I think that lack of balance is a big part of not only why the film was so powerful, but also why it was so unpleasant. To be frank, Alex was a monster. I just don't know how this despicable character has been twisted into some sort of cult folk hero, as you said.

I think that the film is interesting in that it contrasts different aspects of modern culture and civilization, such as music, with barbaric, primal behavior, such as rape and murder, but at the end of the day, I don't really believe that this was a story about Alex. It seemed to me that Alex was just a catalyst for the examination of behavior and the like. That is why, as I said, I respect what the film was getting at, but I just don't really like it.

https://www.fathomevents.com/classics/event/startrektng.aspx

mid-section.jpg

I saw Cool Hand Luke today; fantastic film, and I loved getting to experience it on the big screen! :rock Next Week: The Searchers! :rock x2 I also saw that they'll be having Singin' in the Rain on July 12th.

REALLY hoping Universal does a theatrical run or special one-time screening of Jaws for the Blu release. They completely restored the original negative for the Blu and remixed the sound. After all that, it'd be a terrible shame not to let that bad boy swim around theaters one more time.

Round 2 of the Cinemark Classics Series is going to be very nice!

It all starts with JAWS on Thursday, August 23rd.

Followed by High Noon on August 30th, Doctor Zhivago on September 6th, Chinatown on September 13th, The Bridge on the River Kwai on September 20th, and The African Queen on September 27th. I missed out on a lot of series 1, but there are a lot of must sees here, I can't wait! I'd assume that JAWS would be the restored version that's coming to Blu-Ray?

https://www.cinemark.com/cinemark-classic-series

Back