eFX ANNOUNCES LEGEND DARTH MAUL HERO LIGHTSABER!! see post #45!!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gino

Super Freak
Reaction score
EFX is proud to announce our next item in the Star Wars Legend Edition line.

Darth Maul Legend Edition Hero Lightsaber!

As you know, the criteria for an EFX product to quality for Legend Edition status, it must be primarily created by either directly molding a screen-used/production made original, or by utilizing original production molds from the LFL archives, or a combination of the two.

Our replica was created by directly molding one of the few and rare screen-used hero dueling sabers!

In fact, the saber that we molded to create the EFX Legend is the screen-used saber used by Ray Park during the filming of Ep.1 and then gifted to him after filming had completed.
How cool is that?!!!

efxdms1.JPG

efxdms2.JPG

efxdms3.JPG

Here's some info regarding the original screen-used Darth Maul sabers you might find interesting along with a visual diagram:

Screen-Used Darth Maul saber 101

1. There were no metal body versions of this saber made for the film. Some were cast resin bodies with separate metal ends, and some were completely resin including the ends.
2. All the buttons on these sabers were part of the resin casting and painted. No version of Maul's saber used actual separate buttons.
3. Every screen-used version we came across in our research did not have actual emitter holes.
There is only one shot in the entire film where you can see a saber emitter with a hole in it.
4. There were several different types of Darth Maul sabers used in Ep. 1. (not including the ones sliced in half by Obi-Wan)
The ones most commonly known are the hero version (for close-up shots), and the standard dueling versions (for most of the combat scenes).
Another is the HERO dueling version, which is what the EFX replica is based on and there were only a few of these made for the film.

Hero version
- Created by casting a resin saber body over a threaded rod, with metal ends added.
- Includes a covertec clip and retains all of the silver and red button detailing.
- Threaded rod is sliced off flush with the emitter ends.
- Emitter ends are flat and do not have recessed centers.

Standard Dueling version
- Created by casting a resin saber body over a threaded rod, with metal ends added.
- No covertec clip added, and all the raised button detailing has been sanded off and replaced with painted dots (so that Ray Park could twirl the saber without the raised buttons getting caught on his gloves).
- The threaded rod extends well beyond the saber body so that the colored dueling blades have something to be attached to.
- Emitter ends have recessed centers.

Hero Dueling version
- Exactly the same as the standard dueling version, except it retains all the raised button detailing (this is a hybrid of the hero and standard dueling versions).

The EFX Legend Edition version is going to emulate the Hero version in every way, except that the emitter ends will be representative of what is seen on screen vs. the actual film prop (which does not have a recessed center or an emitter hole).
In the pictures of the EFX prototype shown above, the emitter ends are just temporary stand-ins and will be replaced with metal ends that have recessed centers and an emitter hole as seen on screen. :)

maul101.jpg

Last edited:
Re: eFX ANNOUNCES LEGEND DARTH MAUL HERO LIGHTSABER!!

Very nice, indeed.

Not on my list, but congrats to those who will purchase :)

Whatever happened to the Obi ANH Xtreme Edition? Is that scrapped? Sorry to bring this off topic, but that was like 3 years ago at this point.

Very nice but I will stick with my MR saber.

sorry to be that guy, but shouldn't some customer service questions be answered before announcing a new product.

Don't get me wrong, I understand that new product means money which in turn leads to business continuing, but people are being ignored to an alarming degree regarding just what is up at eFX and I think we're due answer(s) as to what will be done to make sure these issues don't pop up again.

sorry to be that guy, but shouldn't some customer service questions be answered before announcing a new product.

Don't get me wrong, I understand that new product means money which in turn leads to business continuing, but people are being ignored to an alarming degree regarding just what is up at eFX and I think we're due answer(s) as to what will be done to make sure these issues don't pop up again.

Hey dude,

They're doing a Q&A over at:
https://forum.rebelscum.com/t1079097/

So this is their sales pitch to charge a "premium" price for a resin lightsaber?

ROFL, what a joke. why don't they just stick to the precision cast line with this.

I know this is ABSOLUTELY screen accurate, but for me, I'd rather have the full metal (with real buttons) MR version any day of the week. For me, screen accurate is not what our minds are telling us when we watch the movies, we see a real "life-like" object that looks precise and made from metal that actually "exists."

If I buy something like this, I want it to look like there is a "real" lightsaber sitting in front of me. Something that, someone not even into Star Wars, would appreciate.

That's just me though...

I totally respect the Legend idea and the accuracy that comes with it. This is for real prop collectors, people who like their items to be exactly like those used in the movies. Better than this could only be the original saber from ILM. :bow

I know there are people who like their stuff idealized and I really respect that. But then to some of you: please don't try tell us how cool is Vader Legend helmet and how well it fits into your idealized collection... ;)

As you maybe know I'm not a Prequels collector, neither a saber collector. And if I'd like to get a saber hilt in my collection it would be a Vader made from original parts, exactly like the one seen on screen.

But on the other hand I like seeing the Legend line expanding to lightsabers and maybe to other props in the future. eFx should not forget the keyword remains "communication" though.

I totally respect the Legend idea and the accuracy that comes with it. This is for real prop collectors, people who like their items to be exactly like those used in the movies. Better than this could only be the original saber from ILM. :bow

oh i guess you didnt read or comprehend the part where is says all is 'supposedly' accurate except for the hole and recessed center on the emitter face :rolleyes:

oh i guess you didnt read or comprehend the part where is says all is 'supposedly' accurate except for the hole and recessed center on the emitter face :rolleyes:

I guess you didn't read my other part of the message stating: As you maybe know I'm not a Prequels collector, neither a saber collector. And if I'd like to get a saber hilt in my collection it would be a Vader made from original parts, exactly like the one seen on screen.
rolleyes.gif
Besides that you also didn't read or comprehend: Our replica was created by directly molding one of the few and rare screen-used hero dueling sabers! So please take your smart... remarks somewhere else. Thanks.

Prop replicas work for the OT cause of the real parts used, you need idealised for the PT cause the props are all resin crap. another reason the OT Rules

I guess you didn't read my other part of the message stating: As you maybe know I'm not a Prequels collector, neither a saber collector. And if I'd like to get a saber hilt in my collection it would be a Vader made from original parts, exactly like the one seen on screen.
rolleyes.gif
Besides that you also didn't read or comprehend: Our replica was created by directly molding one of the few and rare screen-used hero dueling sabers! So please take your smart... remarks somewhere else. Thanks.

no you said it's for "real prop collectors, people who like their items to be exactly like those used in the movies."

but this legend maul saber is not 'exactly' like in the movies because the movies did not have the metal emitters with recess and holes on the ends. :) i like my smart remarks right where they are.

no you said it's for "real prop collectors, people who like their items to be exactly like those used in the movies."

but this legend maul saber is not 'exactly' like in the movies because the movies did not have the metal emitters with recess and holes on the ends. :) i like my smart remarks right where they are.

I said "smart..." remarks, not just smart. ;)

Hey guys, remember the goal of doing Legend edition items is to try to emulate the screen-used prop as closely as possible (within the limitations of mass production).
The MR CE while a beautiful saber, is more a representation of what was seen on screen vs this Legend piece being almost identical to what was used on set.
If you were to lay the MR CE next to this Legend piece, they would be noticeably different as so many significant details on the MR CE have been re-interpreted and idealized and not really true to the screen-used prop.

It all comes down to personal preference on whether one prefers an idealized representation of the prop vs an actual reproduction of the screen-used prop as seen on set.
The Legend line strives to be as close to the screen used prop as possible within the limitations of mass production.

Both idealized props and screen accurate props are cool in their own right and people appreciate them for different reasons and that's cool. :cool:
I know many people (myself included) who started out really preferring the idealized version of prop and gradually grew to appreciate the more screen accurate.
I also know people who love and appreciate BOTH styles for different reasons (which I think makes for the most diverse and interesting collections someone could own).

For me personally, there's nothing cooler than showing someone a screen accurate replica in person with all the imperfections and being able to say, "Seriously, this is how it looked in the movie. Isn't that crazy? Look at those weird details!" :love
Now every time you watch the movie, you'll know those weird details are there and in many cases actually be able to point them out.
For me it just doesn't get more satisfying than that and it makes me feel so much more connected to the movies themselves.
Collecting Legend edition items definitely requires a higher appreciation for the screen-used prop. Almost like appreciating a fine wine, or a high-end sports car.
EFX Legend Edition items are like the Lamborghini's of the Star Wars collectible world. :naughty

I realize it is difficult for a lot of people to see new items being produced that they had previously purchased as a CE version (whether it be MR or EFX).
But in all honesty, Legend line items are quite different than anything that has come before them and truly are the closest thing most will ever come to owning the screen-used piece without actually owning the screen-used piece itself.
If you were to compare a screen-used piece, an EFX Legend piece, and an MR/EFX CE piece side by side, it is immediately apparent which will look more correct to your eye. Sometimes it just takes seeing them side by side for it to register (I know it used to for me back in the day).

Like I said above when it comes to EFX Legend line items, it's all about appreciating these pieces for what they are... or rather what they actually were.
I have to warn you though, once you start collecting the Legend pieces, there's no turning back. You'll be hooked!

Last edited:

I understand what you are saying, but i still see this as just another gimmick to sell the same thing over without upsetting too many people.

If the Legend line truly represents a prop that was seen on screen, then why is eFX taking the liberty to add the emitter hole and recessed area when you already admitted that no on screen prop had those details?

You are already adding IDEALIZATION to something that you are marketing as "screen accurate".

Not at all. It's a completely different kind of product.
As far as the emitter ends go, we contemplated leaving it flat with the threaded rod sliced off as seen in the diagram in my first post, but feel that the greatest majority of our customers would prefer an emitter end that is more representative of what is seen on screen (see diagram in previous post).
Here's a photo of one of the production made resin castings with that style emitter end.

emitterend.jpg

Last edited:

I think it's interesting that in other previous versions of this saber, that the cut off threaded rod was perceived to be an emitter hole.

emittercomp.jpg

Back