is a Root canal Worth?or better remove

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crows

Super Freak
Reaction score
I was searching around and some people say that root canals break later on and the tooth has to be removed anyways,
My tooth is hurting really bad, Dentist said, Root Canal or removal,
I guess the Root Canal is better because you are saving the tooth but a lot of people are saying is not worth the trouble, plus is not cheap

If the tooth is like a molar, stuck in the back of your mouth or something then I'd definitely say removal.

I had all my wisdom teeth removed last year (not in one sitting :lol)
They didn't bother me too much but they put pressure on my other teeth which would eventually cause problems, so the dentist advised me to have them removed.
Sure it sucks for a day or two after removal, but once they are gone they can't bother you one bit.

I had root canal several years ago,after about 8 years the tooth got brittle and started to break and I had to have a crown made to strengthen it. All very painfull and expensive here in the UK but still better than a gap in my opinion!

I had to have a root canal done on one of my front teeth. Removal was not an option lol. It's been atleast 10 years with no set backs *knocks wood and head vigerously*

I had two root canals done in high school. Eventually the caps kept coming off even after having them re apply the adhesive. I said f it and left them out. Its been almost 10 years with no problems. Next time I need to get a root canal done, I'm just going to have them put an implant in instead. Should last a lot longer and its cheaper.

if it's in the back, remove it. nobody will see it anyway

Unless you're this guy.

toothless.jpg

root canal are not 100% success proof, if ur quite young say below 40 id suggest u go for a root canal and then a crown, no treatment is 100% succesful but the longer u save the tooth the better, eventually it will be time to take it out and get a bridge or an implant, i think if its a tooth in ur smile line (visible tooth go for a rct and crown) if its a posterior u can extract it but then itd be better to do a bridge or implant to replace the missing tooth, missing tooth can lead to other problems gradually

I was searching around and some people say that root canals break later on and the tooth has to be removed anyways,
My tooth is hurting really bad, Dentist said, Root Canal or removal,
I guess the Root Canal is better because you are saving the tooth but a lot of people are saying is not worth the trouble, plus is not cheap

You just DON'T even know. I had a root canal and before I got my crown, tooth broke. Had to be removed. Wish I had just had it pulled and replaced. But that doesn't happen to everyone and saving your own tooth is always better than having a replacement.

the strength of the tooth after the root canal totally depends on how bad the tooth is decayed prior.
If they have to drill a massive hole out to get all of the decay out, then of course the walls of your tooth are not as strong and its more likely to break. If the decay isnt massive you'll have a much better chance of no problems later.

Just straight up ask your dentist how strong does he think your tooth will be after the procedure and does he think it will hold up over time. He'll tell you if you'll have heavily drilled out thin walls.

I actually just had my first root canal done not too long ago, on my back molar. I was contemplating the same thing, but the dentist said extracting the tooth would cause problems later. It definitely wasn't cheap, and definitely was a painful experience but I'd say get the root canal and crown. That'll save you from problems in the future

Just had root canal last week. Was nowhere as bad as I was expecting. I chose to have it because I am only 27 and I figured the longer I can keep my own teeth the better. But I'm pissed off because it cost me my warmachine 1:1 bust

I've had both.

Got all 4 of my wisdom teeth removed in one sitting back in 2002. And in 2005 I had a root canal on a top tooth (next one before the wisdom tooth).

The pros for removal are: It's cheaper, quicker and painless once the tooth is removed (after it heals up).

The cons for removal are: The domino effect. Once you have a gap in your teeth it's possible for your remaining teeth (on that same level, top or bottom) to shift and split. Which can be an even bigger problem to deal with (howdy dowdy teeth). Which is why all dentists only recommend removal for wisdom teeth. Any other teeth they'll always recommend a root canal.

The pros for root canals are: No gaps in your teeth. No worry of splitting/shifting.

The cons for root canals are: It's expensive. It's time consuming. And once the procedure is done you can still have pain in there if all the nerves aren't properly removed and/or pain just from pressure (from the crown). Crowns can also crack/break like people have mentioned.

Back