Statue Weta Workshop's The Balrog Statue

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Managed to get one.

Wanted Smaug more, but was at work so missed out on that one.

Wonder if anyone is up for a trade...

Could somebody help me with the box dimensions for this one, please?

Really wanted one (aswell as Smaug), but skipped both, because of the hideous shipping costs to Europe (higher than the statues themselves). Managed to get most of the little statues tho (Frodo, Gollum, Strider, etc), aswell as Yazneg & Bombur.

Should have mine Wednesday.

Unless I am mistaken, at the time of ordering, the site said they had some instock in the US warehouse, yet it shipped for NewZ.

He is pretty cool.

Decent size.

I do not like how his body is facing one way and his face is another...seems weird for viewing options.
If his body faces you, he is looking away.
If he is look at you, this damn sword is...in the way.

The sword...ok I guess...seems a little over done. Little on the obnoxious side.

The gold paint work is not bad, but do not think it was needed.

I feel a little let down on the detail of his face...but I think this is purely due to have the 1:2 bust, where the facial detail are obviously much more apparent.

They usually box the shipper on this guy? Coming from NZ, the boxed and foam padded the shipper.
The foam insert was barely there on the under/back side, merely held by packaging tape. Other like that?

Overall, do not mind for 300.

Balrog -> Styrofoam -> Art box -> plastic bag -> shipping box -> black foam on all sides, with tape -> Shipping box. How can it get any better?

I am a fan of the piece. I wish I had a tiny Gandalf to put in front. Best 250 spent in this hobby.

He is pretty cool.

Decent size.

I do not like how his body is facing one way and his face is another...seems weird for viewing options.

The sword...ok I guess...seems a little over done. Little on the obnoxious side.

I feel a little let down on the detail of his face...but I think this is purely due to have the 1:2 bust, where the facial detail are obviously much more apparent.

They usually box the shipper on this guy? Coming from NZ, the boxed and foam padded the shipper.
The foam insert was barely there on the under/back side, merely held by packaging tape. Other like that?

You mean the SS bust? There is a lot more detail on that, but what is there isn't as accurate. Pose is why I sold it the first time round, I also have the Vanderstelt canvas print which is almost the mirror image.

Balrog -> Styrofoam -> Art box -> plastic bag -> shipping box -> black foam on all sides, with tape -> Shipping box. How can it get any better?

I am a fan of the piece. I wish I had a tiny Gandalf to put in front. Best 250 spent in this hobby.

I was trying to figure out what scale the Gandalf would have to be...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He is pretty cool.

Decent size.

:exactly:

I had it and liked it. I understand completely what peoples gripes were/are about the pose but overall is was a great sculpt, which still makes it a win in my book. Getting it for less than half the original cost, I would have no complaints.

Well. My Balrog had a completely broken tail. Hope they kept some spares....

Aaaaaand no replacements available. Damnit. Choices are somehow repair it and they will give me Weta dollars or destroy the statue for a full refund. Anyone know what it would cost to fix and do a full repaint of this guy?
1a657a3f6c4f7cff32e5a9dbf9b9e42c.jpg
dea6b17e4094582faa80028538f5ca15.jpg

Why would it need a full paint job? ...if the broken tail is the only thing wrong then it does not need a full paint job...I have repaired 2 older grail balrogs for friends...tail and wings repair...black is easily matched up after your tail is properly reattached. ..

Why would it need a full paint job? ...if the broken tail is the only thing wrong then it does not need a full paint job...I have repaired 2 older grail balrogs for friends...tail and wings repair...black is easily matched up after your tail is properly reattached. ..

Ok. How much would the repair cost? I've never fixed a statue before. I just assumed it would need new paint to blend.

How much for 'you' to fix it?

Or how much for 'someone else' to fix it?
local or shipping?

:lol

Yourself, if you are thrifty, could prob get all the materials for less than 50 bucks.
Then prob a few hours for the crack fix, then few hours for paint fix.

Repainting would eliminate the need to "blend" :wink1:

Paint scheme is simple enough, just down to technique. :)

How much for 'you' to fix it?

Or how much for 'someone else' to fix it?
local or shipping?

:D

They didn't exactly specify how much they would be willing to pay for the repair.

Irritated they sold all their APs during the sale as well. I understand why, but at least hold onto one or two to take care of the BF orders. Then fire sale those. It's ********.

Back